Inverter input?

  • Diane
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
      We are planning to buy a 1500-2000W inverter for our S38 MK1. We don't
      expect to need this much, but everyone who has an inverter has
      commented that they wished they had more power.

      Any comments on brands? Or technology -- is modified sine wave suitable
      for most applications or is pure sine worth the extra money? Do you
      find yourself using your invertor more or less than you thought? (We
      had a 750W on our previous boat and hardly used it, but we plan to
      cruise more and longer on this boat. And I found this tiny microwave
      that would fit anywhere, but we're debating whether we really WANT a
      microwave on the boat!)

      Thanks for any suggestions -
      Diane D.
    • Jan Meermans
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
        Diane,

        We added a 1200 Watt inverter and a microwave of about 800 watts for
        our cruising in Mexico. We found the inverter (modified sine wave)
        quite adequate but still rarely used the microwave unless we were on
        shore power. We probably could have used it more after adding to our
        solar panels (325 watts) but my wife is in the mindset to save power
        all the time even though we have some to spare. Not sure if you have
        the "traditional" layout like we do, but we were able to fit it in the
        cupboard directly behind the range. I never did wire it direct so we
        just take out the cord and plug it in over by the wastebasket.

        I have not found a need for the pure sine wave inverter for anything
        we do.

        Hope these comments help. What is your hull number just for kicks?

        Jan S38 MkI #41 Capriccio, La Paz Mexico

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Diane" <d.lynn.652@...> wrote:

        > We are planning to buy a 1500-2000W inverter for our S38 MK1. We don't
        > expect to need this much, but everyone who has an inverter has
        > commented that they wished they had more power.
        >
        > Any comments on brands? Or technology -- is modified sine wave suitable
        > for most applications or is pure sine worth the extra money? Do you
        > find yourself using your invertor more or less than you thought? (We
        > had a 750W on our previous boat and hardly used it, but we plan to
        > cruise more and longer on this boat. And I found this tiny microwave
        > that would fit anywhere, but we're debating whether we really WANT a
        > microwave on the boat!)
        >
        > Thanks for any suggestions -
        > Diane D.

      • mystic_camera
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
          Hi,

          I have the freedom 15.. a 1500W inverter/charger installed on my S38/II.

          Now, while technically it will (and does) drive the microwave, or even
          can drive the a/c .. the bottom line is that it rarely gets used to
          anything like its potential.

          After a trip to florida and back this winter, it is clear that my
          inverter requirements could have been met with a $30 175W inverter
          since my needs are prioritised as:

          dvd & tv player
          laptop and cellphone charging..

          umm, thats it.. lol. never missed the microwave at anchor, dont need
          a/c at anchor, gas is quicker than electric to boil water.. voila. :)

          If the freedom 15 was not also a large capacity charger i would rip it
          out to save the space and use a couple of small inverters..one to drive
          the tv/dvd and one for a single socket for auxilliary charging, so I
          would suggest to only go the route to a larger inverter if you also are
          looking for a larger charger otherwise IMO its a waste of valuable
          space.

          regards, Ian

          S38/II #205 "Tuscan Sun"
          www.sailblogs.com/member/tuscan_sun

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Diane" <d.lynn.652@...> wrote:

          > We are planning to buy a 1500-2000W inverter for our S38 MK1. We
          don't
          > expect to need this much, but everyone who has an inverter has
          > commented that they wished they had more power.
          >
          > Any comments on brands? Or technology -- is modified sine wave
          suitable
          > for most applications or is pure sine worth the extra money? Do you
          > find yourself using your invertor more or less than you thought? (We
          > had a 750W on our previous boat and hardly used it, but we plan to
          > cruise more and longer on this boat. And I found this tiny microwave
          > that would fit anywhere, but we're debating whether we really WANT a
          > microwave on the boat!)
          >
          > Thanks for any suggestions -
          > Diane D.

        • Diane
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
            Thanks, Ian (and for the previous post, Jan.) There is a good
            charger on the boat, so we just need the inverter, although I guess
            we should re-think 'need.' We had a very small battery bank on our
            old boat and had to be frugal with all power. And we didn't miss any
            of the conveniences of home when we cruised; in fact, that was one of
            the best parts of being onboard.

            Diane D.

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "mystic_camera"
            <mystic_camera@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I have the freedom 15.. a 1500W inverter/charger installed on my
            S38/II.

            > Now, while technically it will (and does) drive the microwave, or
            even
            > can drive the a/c .. the bottom line is that it rarely gets used to
            > anything like its potential.
            >
            > After a trip to florida and back this winter, it is clear that my
            > inverter requirements could have been met with a $30 175W inverter
            > since my needs are prioritised as:
            >
            > dvd & tv player
            > laptop and cellphone charging..
            >
            > umm, thats it.. lol. never missed the microwave at anchor, dont
            need
            > a/c at anchor, gas is quicker than electric to boil water..
            voila. :)

            > If the freedom 15 was not also a large capacity charger i would rip
            it
            > out to save the space and use a couple of small inverters..one to
            drive
            > the tv/dvd and one for a single socket for auxilliary charging, so
            > would suggest to only go the route to a larger inverter if you also
            are
            > looking for a larger charger otherwise IMO its a waste of valuable
            > space.
            >
            > regards, Ian
            >
            > S38/II #205 "Tuscan Sun"
            > www.sailblogs.com/member/tuscan_sun
            >

            > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Diane" <d.lynn.652@> wrote:
            > >
            > > We are planning to buy a 1500-2000W inverter for our S38 MK1. We
            > don't
            > > expect to need this much, but everyone who has an inverter has
            > > commented that they wished they had more power.
            > >
            > > Any comments on brands? Or technology -- is modified sine wave
            > suitable
            > > for most applications or is pure sine worth the extra money? Do
            you
            > > find yourself using your invertor more or less than you thought?
            (We
            > > had a 750W on our previous boat and hardly used it, but we plan
            > > cruise more and longer on this boat. And I found this tiny
            microwave
            > > that would fit anywhere, but we're debating whether we really
            WANT a
            > > microwave on the boat!)
            > >
            > > Thanks for any suggestions -
            > > Diane D.

          • Ed Burke
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
              Diane,

                  I just used a Xantrex 1500 Watt inverter that I got cheap at Costco.  We didn't use it much but it worked fine for charging laptop and cellphone and running the electric drill and shop vac.  I wired it directly to the house bank, but never did a permanent install.

                          Ed Burke