Re: [SabreSailboat] Dremel

    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 2, 2008
      Dan -
      I did mine with a Roto-Zip (Dremel on steroids) and a rasp.  Even with a guideline drawn, in the close quarters my plan for controlling the roto-zip with the rasp was like putting a badger on a leash - fine in theory....
      I ended up using the mini-drum sander attachment to dress it up and look presentable.  The trick was to stay inside my guide line and not try to do as fine a job as possible with the rasp.
      Unbolting the PHII seems like a PIA, but it probably saves time in the long run.
      Pete

      On 4/2/08, Dan Trainor <daniel.trainor@...> wrote:

      Thanks Bill and everyone. All good advise, as ususal.  PHII is already bolted down so I am going to pull hose back though and then come in with dremel w/561 bit from the backside to elongate the hole.  I am not too concerned about having perfectly clean straight cut - just want to rasp out the hole on one side so hose have a more fair run.  Thought I might as well use this dremel I bought.  Back-up plan is to un-bolt PHII to gain better access from front of vanity and do same or just cut a new circular hole alligned more closely w/ new position of toliet outlet fitting.

      On 4/2/08, Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@...> wrote:

      Dan,
      The Dremel bit you want is the 561 multipurpose bit.  I bought one for the exact same project, but the hole is in the bulkhead behing the cabinet.  I'm not sure how straight a line it will cut.  Is the hole high vis?  Is there room to set up a jig to keep a straight line?  If it needs to be a very clean, straight cut, you can try John's idea with a hole saw at each end, and then a circular of jig saw in between.  A Fein muli sander is perfect for cleaning up the edges no matter what you cut the hole with.
      Bill B

      On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 10:59 PM, john kalinowski <sabre32sailor@...> wrote:

      If you have the router kit, you are all set.

      if not, use a carbide shaft and do not force it as it will overheat and then snap.

      Or you could drill a couple holes and then use a rig saw blade by hand.

      john

      Dan Trainor <daniel.trainor@...> wrote:
      Is there a "rasping/cutter" type of bit for Dremel tool that would be appropriate for enlarging (actually elongating) a hole in hard wood.  I just installed a PHII and would like to enlongate for 1 1/2" discharge hole that goes though to vanity comparment such that I have a more angle to PHII discharge fitting - which is a few inches behind - right now, without too much bending of hose that seems to be putting an undesirable lateral force on discharge fitting. I have dremel tool, but not sure whether they make hard steel cutter/rasping bits for this purpose.  Pete?

      --
      Dan

      Dan

    • Dan Trainor

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 2, 2008
          Dan,

          Replacing the head is also on my project list. If possible, could you do some before and after photos. The new head isn't mounted yet, so the photos would be helpful.

          On Apr 2, 2008, at 11:48 AM, Dan Trainor wrote:

          Yes.

          On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 10:59 PM, john kalinowski <sabre32sailor@ yahoo.com> wrote:

[...]

          You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

          --
          Dan

          --
          Dan

        • Dan Trainor
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 2, 2008
            John, when you installed your PHII in your S32, did you drill a new hole for discharge hose?  Where did you locate it? If so, did you use one of those hole saw bits you put on drill?  Do you have any pictures handy? - Dan

            Dan
            Sabre 32

            On 4/2/08, john kalinowski <sabre32sailor@...> wrote:

            Dremel sells a router attachment.
            It is a flat plate and allow you to adjust the depth of the cut.
            Just like a mini-router.
            About $15 at any home improvement store that sells Dremels.

            For cutting dutchmans it is the cat's meow.
            Tape off area.
            Route out damage to a depth less than board thickness, but enough to remove damaged wood.
            square hole edges with a 1/2" chisel.
            perfect depth allows a wonder contact point for glue and the dutchman.

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 2, 2008
              darn if I remember,
              I think I had already cut a hole 5 years ago when I replumbed the boat.
              I will check on Saturday

              On 4/2/08, john kalinowski <sabre32sailor@ yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]

            • Godwin Jones
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 2, 2008
                When I installed my PH-II, I used a standard hole saw on the drill to cut a new hole where I thought it should be.  I then screwed the cut-out to a slightly larger piece of plywood.  From inside the cabinet, I screwed the plywood to the wall with the cut-out filling old hole.  A little marine-tex in the center hole and around the circumference made it hardly visible.
                Godwin
                Sabre-34

                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 7, 2008
                    Dan

                    I checked the boat.
                    When I plumbed in new hoses 5 years ago, I used a hole saw to cut a
                    hole in the bulkhead just forward of the head near the floor. I
                    allowed me to turn the 90 degree angle from the head and aim it right
                    at the holding tank which is just the other side of that bulkhead on
                    my 32.

                    I left the original hole as is. The 3/4" intake line still goes
                    through there.

                    john

                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Trainor"
                    <daniel.trainor@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    would be
                    > > > appropriate for enlarging (actually elongating) a hole in hard
                    wood. I just
                    > > > installed a PHII and would like to enlongate for 1 1/2"
                    discharge hole that
                    > > > goes though to vanity comparment such that I have a more angle
                    to PHII
                    > > > discharge fitting - which is a few inches behind - right now,
                    without too
                    > > > much bending of hose that seems to be putting an undesirable
                    lateral force
                    > > > on discharge fitting. I have dremel tool, but not sure whether
                    they make
                    > > > hard steel cutter/rasping bits for this purpose. Pete?
                    > > >
                    > > > --
                    > > > Dan
                    > > >

                    > > > ------------------------------
                    > > > You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of
                    Access<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=47523/*http://tc.deals.yahoo.com/tc/
                    blockbuster/text5.com>,
                    > > > No Cost.
                    > > >

                    > > ------------------------------
                    > > You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of
                    Blockbuster
                    > > Total
                    Access<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=47523/*http://tc.deals.yahoo.com/tc/
                    blockbuster/text5.com>,
                    > > No Cost.
                    > >

                    > --
                    > Dan

                  • Dan Trainor
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 7, 2008
                      Hi John - Thanks for taking the time to check - This is helpful to me - Dan

                      --
                      Dan
                    • jay4868@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 11, 2008
                        Bill
                        I note that you have a Fein multisander.  I have been tempted to buy one but scared off by the price.  Obviously you have decided their worth it.  Can you give me your opinion now as an owner?? Are they really worth the price of a new car??

                        Joe M
                        Ceapach S38M1

                        http://mail.yahoo.com

[...]

                          Do You Yahoo!?
                          http://mail. yahoo.com

                          http://mail.yahoo.com

                        • Bill Blalock

                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 11, 2008
                              Joe,
                              I have owned a multisander since long before I owned boats. It is probably my favorite of all of the tools I have bought over the years. You will find it powerful, yet adjustable so that you can be as gentle as you want. I have wooded out our toe rails on Kestrel a couple of times and used it for both jobs. It made quick work of the old sickens. It was expensive but as with all fine tools, every time I use it, I am glad I spent the extra couple of bucks. As for your question, it probably depends on the car. Perhaps you could by a nice old benz two seater and keep it in the glove compartment.

                              Greg T.
                              S38 Mk1 Kestrel #42