S30 MkI main halyard

  • sjburns123
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 27 7:13 PM
      Any S30 owner happen to know if 90' is sufficient for the main halyard on my Mk1? The line
      is led to the cockpit. I ask b/c there are some good prices on pre made halyards, but all seem
      to be 90' for 3/8" lines. Thanks.

      Stephen Burns
      S 30 #37 Niña
      Noank CT
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 27 9:15 PM

        100’ was sufficient on a 30 MkIII, led aft. The mast is about 3’ taller than a MkI or II, so that’s 6’.   You can double your “I” measurement, then add what you need to run aft and be pretty close.

        Pete

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 28 4:12 AM
          Stephen,

          90' would be the minimum. When I replaced my halyards, I believe I used 100' of 3/8" Sta Set X.

          Dave

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 28 10:00 AM
            Niña's sister-ship Spirit (S 30 hull #36) uses 100 foot halyards led
            to the cockpit. I think 90' would be cutting it too close.

            Eric
            Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
            West River, MD

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "sjburns123" <sjburns123@...>
            wrote:

            > Any S30 owner happen to know if 90' is sufficient for the main
            halyard on my Mk1? The line
            > is led to the cockpit. I ask b/c there are some good prices on pre
            made halyards, but all seem
            > to be 90' for 3/8" lines. Thanks.
            >
            > Stephen Burns
            > S 30 #37 Niña
            > Noank CT

          • sjburns123
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 28 11:41 AM
              Thanks, Eric. That what I was thinking. Too far from the boat for a quick measure. Niña
              says to tell Spirit,"Hi, long time no see."

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <sabre30_36@...> wrote:

              > Niña's sister-ship Spirit (S 30 hull #36) uses 100 foot halyards led
              > to the cockpit. I think 90' would be cutting it too close.
              >
              > Eric
              > Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
              > West River, MD
              >
              > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "sjburns123" <sjburns123@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Any S30 owner happen to know if 90' is sufficient for the main
              > halyard on my Mk1? The line
              > > is led to the cockpit. I ask b/c there are some good prices on pre
              > made halyards, but all seem
              > > to be 90' for 3/8" lines. Thanks.
              > >
              > > Stephen Burns
              > > S 30 #37 Niña
              > > Noank CT

            • Tom & Rose
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 28 5:25 PM
                I bought 100' of Staset X, spliced in a shackle and it was long enough. I
                don't recall cutting any off and I have about 5' left when I run the halyard
                to an outboard geonoa track tie-down when it's not in use (much quieter than
                shackling it to the base of the mast). The mast measures 39' and I believe
                there is about 8' from the mast base back to the cabintop winch near the
                companionway. The boom is about 3' above the cabintop but I use about 6'
                more to get to the outboard track. In theory 90' should do it, but I don't
                think it would work for my use.

                Good luck,
                Tom
                Imagination - Sabre 30 MkI