Westerbeke 21A Water Hose

  • rfeirste
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 5, 2008
      Westerbeke no longer supplies replacement water hoses for its products
      like our S32's 21A diesel. The OEM hoses are still painted red and I
      assume they are about 20 years old!!!

      Since several of the OEM hose's have sharp bends is there a
      recommendation for quality hoses for this application?
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 6, 2008
        oh no.  I was about to order a complete set.
        This is going to make life a whole lot more difficult.
        Looks like I best get comfy with a hose mfg catalog...
        Sounds like you have the original hoses, as Westerbeke has not painted replacement hoses in years.

        For the small hose, like that up near the thermostat, the factory bent hose was never that great. last time I did a complete replacement, I put a piece of tube the length of only the curve in the hose and then bent the hose/tube to the correct shape. I could not find a spring the correct diameter so a buck of copper tube did the trick.  Never had a problem with corrosion.

        While you are replacing them, look at where the aluminium tube on the side attaches to it's mount. Mine had done electrolisys/wear and put a pin hole in it.  The tube was no longer available, so I cleaned and glassed the hole successfully.

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
          Some good news.

          In contrast to the Westerbeke web site pages that note that Westerbeke
          no longer supplies the hose kit and that streight hoses have been
          substituted for the pre-molded kind, I think I found a different
          reality concerning their availablity.

          I called Torrensen (a regional Westerbeke distributor may be another
          option)and was told that the individual hose parts were still listed
          and that they had 4 of the 5 in stock. Back in the day, for less
          money, you would get the set of hoses in a kit with a nice package and
          new hardware. Now we have to scramble.
        • David Evans
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
            For those in New England, check with
            Tracy Coulter tracy@...
            She's been good to work with figuring out 'beke parts.
            dge
            34-II

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008

              I am stopping by tomorrow to get the scoop from Tracy.
              I need to dig out the part number for the Bag-O-Hoses .

              john

              Tracy Coulter tracy@hansenmarine. com

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                John,
                Saturday? Good to know!
                Pass on what you learn. The PO did all of our hoses, but if they are going
                to become extinct, might get a "bag" for the backroom. Even if they won't
                fit in the shiny new red 'beke ammo box!
                Thx,
                dge

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008

                  Just callled Jim at Hansen

                  1. they are not open on Saturdays yet (waiting for it to get warmer)
                  2. they don't have the kit, but they will build it for you.
                  The part number is HK21
                  3. They have all the individual parts there. Price is $130.
                  Not bad as it was $103 5 years ago according to my old invoice.

                  Sugguest you get new gaskets for the heat exchanger at the same time
                  (2) 22851
                  (2) 19321
                  Short money. Figure about $10 all together

                  Then get some 3/4" heater hose at the auto parts store for the hot water heater and replace everything in the fresh system in 1 shot using 100,000mile antifreeze (poly propelyene).

                  I do this every 5 years. 2 hours labor and no issues for another 5 years.

                  David Evans <dave@...> wrote:
                  John,
                  Saturday? Good to know!
                  Pass on what you learn. The PO did all of our hoses, but if they are going
                  to become extinct, might get a "bag" for the backroom. Even if they won't
                  fit in the shiny new red 'beke ammo box!
                  Thx,
                  dge

                  > Dave
                  >
                  > I am stopping by tomorrow to get the scoop from Tracy.
                  > I need to dig out the part number for the Bag-O-Hoses .
                  >
                  > john
                  >
                  > David Evans <dave@sailonset. com> wrote:
                  > For those in New England, check with
                  > Tracy Coulter tracy@hansenmarine. com
                  > She's been good to work with figuring out 'beke parts.
                  > dge
                  > 34-II
                  >
                  >> Some good news.
                  >>
                  >> In contrast to the Westerbeke web site pages that note that Westerbeke
                  >> no longer supplies the hose kit and that streight hoses have been
                  >> substituted for the pre-molded kind, I think I found a different
                  >> reality concerning their availablity.
                  >>
                  >> I called Torrensen (a regional Westerbeke distributor may be another
                  >> option)and was told that the individual hose parts were still listed
                  >> and that they had 4 of the 5 in stock. Back in the day, for less
                  >> money, you would get the set of hoses in a kit with a nice package and
                  >> new hardware. Now we have to scramble.
                  >>

                  > ------------ --------- --------- ---

                • rfeirste
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                    part:24334, ELBOW,HOSE, total price : 12.98
                    part:24304, ELBOW,HOSE, total price : 15.40
                    part:34404, HOSE,EXCHANGER TO BLOCK, total price : 93.94
                    part:30962, RETURNBEND HOSE, total price : 7.70
                    part:30166, HOSE 7/8, total price : 25.41

                    As you can see, for the 21A there are 5 hoses required. The exchanger
                    to block hose is the killer, price wise. Prices vary by dealers, etc.,
                    but I don't know if our lists are the same.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                      my old invoice had 7 hoses not including your 7/8 heater hose.
                      30166
                      24304
                      24334
                      24305
                      24974
                      24927
                      30962

                      If I remember correctly, on one of the hoses to the heat exchanger, I had to cut 3" off one end. May be where they are savign the money. Never had a problem.
                      also it also came with new clamps and a nutdriver.

                      Let you know what I find out is in the new kit what then they get done building it.

                      Gonna be a busy Sunday.
                      I am working on another low buck high $$$ look to go with last year's 3m polyester sheet on the awlgrip.  Maybe we will even share it with Jim.    Stay tuned...  ;>)

                      rfeirste <rfeirste@...> wrote:
                      part:24334, ELBOW,HOSE, total price : 12.98
                      part:24304, ELBOW,HOSE, total price : 15.40
                      part:34404, HOSE,EXCHANGER TO BLOCK, total price : 93.94
                      part:30962, RETURNBEND HOSE, total price : 7.70
                      part:30166, HOSE 7/8, total price : 25.41

                      As you can see, for the 21A there are 5 hoses required. The exchanger
                      to block hose is the killer, price wise. Prices vary by dealers, etc.,
                      but I don't know if our lists are the same.

                    • John Kalinowski
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 14, 2008
                        I picked up my hose kit yesterday

                        same part numbers as below (hoses, clamps, nutdriver).
                        only difference is the red cotton westerbeke bag has been replaced
                        with a red nylon westerbeke gym bag.

                        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, john kalinowski
                        <sabre32sailor@...> wrote:

                        > my old invoice had 7 hoses not including your 7/8 heater hose.
                        > 30166
                        > 24304
                        > 24334
                        > 24305
                        > 24974
                        > 24927
                        > 30962
                        >
                        > If I remember correctly, on one of the hoses to the heat
                        exchanger, I had to cut 3" off one end. May be where they are savign
                        the money. Never had a problem.
                        > also it also came with new clamps and a nutdriver.
                        >
                        > Let you know what I find out is in the new kit what then they get
                        done building it.

                        > Gonna be a busy Sunday.
                        > I am working on another low buck high $$$ look to go with last
                        year's 3m polyester sheet on the awlgrip. Maybe we will even share
                        it with Jim. Stay tuned... ;>)

                        > rfeirste <rfeirste@...> wrote:
                        > part:24334, ELBOW,HOSE, total price : 12.98
                        > part:24304, ELBOW,HOSE, total price : 15.40
                        > part:34404, HOSE,EXCHANGER TO BLOCK, total price : 93.94
                        > part:30962, RETURNBEND HOSE, total price : 7.70
                        > part:30166, HOSE 7/8, total price : 25.41
                        >
                        > As you can see, for the 21A there are 5 hoses required. The
                        exchanger
                        > to block hose is the killer, price wise. Prices vary by dealers,
                        etc.,
                        > but I don't know if our lists are the same.
                        >

                        > ---------------------------------

                      • Grant Woodside
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 16, 2008
                          John,
                          Westerbeake part number for the hose kit?
                          Grant

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 16, 2008
                            HC21

                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 16, 2008
                              John,
                              Where did you get HC21? Can't find it on Marine Diesel Direct or
                              Google.
                              Grant

                              Search.
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 16, 2008
                                Hansen Marine in Marblehead mass.
                                www.hansenmarine.com

                                Grant Woodside <gewoodsiii@...> wrote:
                                John,
                                Where did you get HC21? Can't find it on Marine Diesel Direct or
                                Google.
                                Grant

                                --- john kalinowski <sabre32sailor@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                                > HC21
                                >
                                > Grant Woodside <gewoodsiii@yahoo. com> wrote: John,
                                > Westerbeake part number for the hose kit?
                                > Grant
                                >
                                > --- John Kalinowski <sabre32sailor@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                                >
                                > > I picked up my hose kit yesterday
                                > >
                                > > same part numbers as below (hoses, clamps, nutdriver).
                                > > only difference is the red cotton westerbeke bag has been replaced
                                > > with a red nylon westerbeke gym bag.
                                > >
                                > > --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, john kalinowski
                                > > <sabre32sailor@ ...> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > my old invoice had 7 hoses not including your 7/8 heater hose.
                                > > > 30166
                                > > > 24304
                                > > > 24334
                                > > > 24305
                                > > > 24974
                                > > > 24927
                                > > > 30962
                                > > >
                                > > > If I remember correctly, on one of the hoses to the heat
                                > > exchanger, I had to cut 3" off one end. May be where they are
                                > savign
                                > > the money. Never had a problem.
                                > > > also it also came with new clamps and a nutdriver.
                                > > >
                                > > > Let you know what I find out is in the new kit what then they get
                                > >
                                > > done building it.
                                > > >
                                > > > Gonna be a busy Sunday.
                                > > > I am working on another low buck high $$$ look to go with last
                                > > year's 3m polyester sheet on the awlgrip. Maybe we will even share
                                > > it with Jim. Stay tuned... ;>)
                                > > >

                                > > > rfeirste <rfeirste@.. .> wrote:
                                > > > part:24334, ELBOW,HOSE, total price : 12.98
                                > > > part:24304, ELBOW,HOSE, total price : 15.40
                                > > > part:34404, HOSE,EXCHANGER TO BLOCK, total price : 93.94
                                > > > part:30962, RETURNBEND HOSE, total price : 7.70
                                > > > part:30166, HOSE 7/8, total price : 25.41
                                > > >
                                > > > As you can see, for the 21A there are 5 hoses required. The
                                > > exchanger
                                > > > to block hose is the killer, price wise. Prices vary by dealers,
                                > > etc.,
                                > > > but I don't know if our lists are the same.
                                > > >

                                > > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                                > > > Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.
                                > > >

                                > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                                Search.

                              • John Kalinowski
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 1, 2008
                                  pulled the fresh and raw water systems tonight.
                                  A couple of things that may be of help to you.

                                  1. I had bought a socket drive set from Harbor Freight a couple weeks
                                  ago. 1 end chucks into your drill. The other has a socket end. I got
                                  1/4, 3/8 ad 1/2 inch drives for $2 on sale. Using the 1/4th drive
                                  and a 5/16th socket, I was removing hose clamps in 2 seconds. Made
                                  the job a piece of cake. I was luckly enough that most hose clamps
                                  were aligned for easy access from my last replacement.

                                  2. when replacing the small hose from the thermostat to the water
                                  pump, it has a tendency to collapse. I had put put in a 3" long
                                  spring that fit inside. It was fine since the antifreeze protected
                                  it. So I put the same spring into the hose. less than a buck makes
                                  it cheap insurance to keep the hose from collapsing.

                                  3. I was also starting to get some steam with the exhaust (which was
                                  never really hot to the touch). Found the following:
                                  1. 3 impeller vanes missing. Worst part they were in a row.
                                  2. water filter was clogged. From the outside it looked clean. Turned
                                  out the grass, muscles and crap were inside the filter. It was
                                  clogged solid.
                                  3. gasket on water filter was shot. will replace with a 1.5" piece
                                  of thin rubber instead of screwing around with cork.

                                  Will reassemble next weekend.

                                  Regards

                                  john
                                • John Kalinowski
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
                                    Got the install done Saturday. 15 hoses(that is 30 *%$# clamps to get
                                    to)including the 2 heater hoses.

                                    And because I was having so much fun, I decided to swap the 2 #40
                                    clamps holding the heat exchanger to the block.

                                    In regards to your question, there is no 34404 hose on the w-21 so do
                                    not worry about how much it costs.

                                    http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/catalogs/catalog_group.php?
                                    owner=mdd&page_ident=32139-238-239&model=W%2013/18/21/27/33%
                                    204.4/6/7.7/8/11/12.5%20KW%
                                    20Generators&manufacturer=Westerbeke&title=13-21-27-33%20Cooling%
                                    20System&quant_position=&catalog=32139&printparts=&printservice=&printop
                                    erators=&comment1=

                                    cleanly shows it as a 24304 for $14.00.

                                    All the standard hoses are 24000 series other than the 30962 U hose for
                                    those without a heater and 30166 3/4 hose with a right angle you cut to
                                    size.

                                    Some hoses are used in quanties greater than 1.

                                    I highly suggest the hose kit from Hansen. You get everything and then
                                    you have a pile of old hose clamps you can give out to those who helped
                                    you install all those hoses.

                                    While you at it, buy an pump impeller kit and the 2 seals for it along
                                    with the o ring and rubber gaskets for the heat exchanger. Go through
                                    the entire system just 1 time.
                                    I had a radiator shop pressure check my heat exchanger. Custom
                                    Radiator in Gardner Ma did it for free (no issues to fix).
                                    While at it, take the hose off the Y nipple on the exhaust manifold and
                                    ream it with a drill or a large screwdriver. Now you are all set for
                                    another 5 years.

                                    john