re:[SabreSailboat] Re: Which Adhesive To Use?

  • cbrey@attglobal.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
      Following a tip on this list, I last year rebedded a leaking chainplate
      with Dolphinite bedding compound as an experiment.

      It's different from the usual polysulfides, such as Lifecaulk, that
      I've used over the years for bedding and sealing deck hardware. To
      begin with, it's a light brown, so if that puts you off, don't use it.
      But it is extremely sticky, clings tenaciously to steel and FRP, and
      remains soft and totally flexible, a great thing in this particular
      application where there's constant flex and motion as the shrouds
      take up tension and then relax, even at the mooring. It worked
      very well-- the former leak source remained bone dry-- and I plan
      to rebed the remaining chainplates using it. Because of the trim
      plates at the shroud bases, the color is not an issue for me. Not
      much shows through.

      There's a fella at my yard who years ago stopped using bedding
      compound and switched to using 1/8" neoprene rubber. It's a
      labor-intensive technique, obviously, since it involves cutting the
      rubber to shape, but it sure eliminates the problem of polysulfide
      finding its way all over you, your clothes, your boat, your
      neighbor's boat, &c. It also makes removal easier and less messy
      when it comes time to rebed. I believe the only time I saw him
      use a sealant, apart from putting a bit of goop on machine screw
      threads, was when he used 3M 5200 to install a below-water
      transducer.

      FYI.

      Carter Brey
      S28 MkII #532 "Delphine"
      City Island, NY

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
        4200 UV. I tried it last spring after no success with the usual
        BoatLife polysulfide. Seems to have adheared better, meaning no leaks.
        And is does stay white. Certainly don't use 5200, even though you'd
        like to think these will never have to come out. Anything that can move
        will eventially open up a crack.

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "rfeirste" <rfeirste@...> wrote:

        > I need to fix a leak at the chainplates, and other bolted deck parts
        > on my S32. Which adhesive is best; 3M's 5200 fast cure, slow cure or
        > 4200 UV?

      • rfeirste
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
          OK then. But who sells 4200 UV? Can't find it on the internet or at
          West Marine locally. Thanks
        • Dave Evans
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
            My bad; it's 4000UV, not 4200. In the new Defender catalog.
            dge

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "rfeirste" <rfeirste@...> wrote:

            > OK then. But who sells 4200 UV? Can't find it on the internet or at
            > West Marine locally. Thanks
          • Bill Blalock
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008

              The folks at Groco taught me a trick recently.  They said that heat works well for softening 5200 for removal.  Haven't tried it yet.

              Bill B

              My bad; it's 4000UV, not 4200. In the new Defender catalog.
              dge

              --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, "rfeirste" <rfeirste@.. .> wrote:

              > OK then. But who sells 4200 UV? Can't find it on the internet or at
              > West Marine locally. Thanks

            • Charles Sidwa
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
                Carter,

                Is this the product you are refering to?  http://www.boatingstore.com/us/dolphinite-bedding-compound-p16188.html If so it appears to come in white also.

                Job well done in Korea!

                Charlie

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
                  Bill

                  Heat is the only thing that will loosen 5200 short of thermo nuclear devices (pretty sure it is there heat that works there too).

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 3, 2008
                    I think that the 3M marine catalog I downloaded is just wrong with it
                    brags about 4200 UV. From what I can tell this product does not and
                    never existed. Most likely the catalog was intended to describe 4000
                    UV, and this product is sold on 3M's online store. That site does not
                    sell or find 4200 UV. We all make mistakes.
                  • Charles Sidwa
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 5, 2008

                      Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2008 1:02 PM
                      Subject: Re: re:[SabreSailboat] Re: Which Adhesive To Use?

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 5, 2008
                        Yep, that's it. Didn't know it was available in other colors-- thanks.

                        CB

                        <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, March 01, 2008
                        1:02
                        PM</DIV>
                        <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: re:[SabreSailboat]
                        Re: Which
                        Adhesive To Use?</DIV>
                        <DIV><BR></DIV><!--[gte IE 5]><?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?
                        xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]-->
                        <DIV>
                        <DIV>Carter,</DIV>
                        <DIV>�</DIV>
                        <DIV>Is this the product you are refering to?� <A
                        title=http://www.boatingstore.com/us/dolphinite-bedding-compound-
                        p16188html
                        href="http://www.boatingstore.com/us/dolphinite-bedding-compound-
                        p16188html">http://www.boatingstore.com/us/dolphinite-bedding-
                        compound-p16188.html</A>�If
                        so it appears to come in white also.</DIV>
                        <DIV>�</DIV>
                        <DIV>Job well done in Korea!</DIV>
                        <DIV>�</DIV>
                        <DIV>Charlie</DIV>
                        <DIV>�</DIV>
                        <DIV>�</DIV>
                        <BLOCKQUOTE
                        title=mailto:cbrey@...
                        href="mailto:cbrey@...">cbrey@...</A> </DIV>

                        <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, March 01, 2008
                        3:50
                        AM</DIV>
                        <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> re:[SabreSailboat] Re:
                        Which
                        Adhesive To Use?</DIV>
                        <DIV><BR></DIV>
                        <DIV id=ygrp-text>
                        <P>Following a tip on this list, I last year rebedded a leaking chainplate
                        <BR>with Dolphinite bedding compound as an experiment.
                        <BR><BR>It's
                        different from the usual polysulfides, such as Lifecaulk, that <BR>I've
                        used
                        over the years for bedding and sealing deck hardware. To <BR>begin
                        with,
                        it's a light brown, so if that puts you off, don't use it. <BR>But it is
                        extremely sticky, clings tenaciously to steel and FRP, and <BR>remains
                        soft
                        and totally flexible, a great thing in this particular <BR>application
                        where
                        there's constant flex and motion as the shrouds <BR>take up tension
                        and then
                        relax, even at the mooring. It worked <BR>very well-- the former leak
                        source
                        remained bone dry-- and I plan <BR>to rebed the remaining chainplates
                        using
                        it. Because of the trim <BR>plates at the shroud bases, the color is not
                        an
                        issue for me. Not <BR>much shows through.<BR><BR>There's a fella at
                        my yard
                        who years ago stopped using bedding <BR>compound and switched to
                        using 1/8"
                        neoprene rubber. It's a <BR>labor-intensive technique, obviously, since
                        it
                        involves cutting the <BR>rubber to shape, but it sure eliminates the
                        problem
                        of polysulfide <BR>finding its way all over you, your clothes, your boat,
                        your <BR>neighbor's boat, &c. It also makes removal easier and less
                        messy <BR>when it comes time to rebed. I believe the only time I saw
                        him
                        <BR>use a sealant, apart from putting a bit of goop on machine screw
                        <BR>threads, was when he used 3M 5200 to install a below-water
                        <BR>transducer. <BR><BR>FYI.<BR><BR>Carter Brey<BR>S28 MkII
                        "Delphine"<BR>City Island, NY<BR><BR>---- Original Message ----
                        <BR><BR>From:
                        "followingsea2001" <<A title=mailto:mnthomas%40earthlink.net
                        href="mailto:mnthomas%
                        40earthlink.net">mnthomas@earthlink.<WBR>net</A>><BR>To:
                        <A title=mailto:Sabresailboat%40yahoogroups.com
                        href="mailto:Sabresailboat%
                        40yahoogroups.com">Sabresailboat@<WBR>yahoogroups.<WBR>com</A
                        ><BR>Cc:
                        <BR>Subject: [SabreSailboat] Re: Which Adhesive To Use?<BR>Date:
                        Sat, March
                        01, 2008, 07:13:00<BR><BR>We used 3M silicone on the shrouds
                        about 5 yeara
                        ago. No leaks <BR>so <BR>far. There are some who don't like silicone
                        but it
                        has worked for <BR>us. <BR>5200 is the wrong choice as it is next to
                        impossible to remove. <BR>And <BR>When new leaks develop you
                        WILL need to
                        remove it. <BR><BR>Martin.<BR><BR></P></DIV><!--End group email --
                        ></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>
                        </BODY></HTML>