Re: Which Adhesive To Use?

  • followingsea2001
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 29, 2008
      We used 3M silicone on the shrouds about 5 yeara ago. No leaks so
      far. There are some who don't like silicone but it has worked for
      us.
      5200 is the wrong choice as it is next to impossible to remove. And
      When new leaks develop you WILL need to remove it.

      Martin.

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Neil Russell <nrussell@...>
      wrote:

      > Use a polysuflide - it stays flexible as the components flex with
      > humidity, tension, heat etc.
      >
      > I like 3M 101, used it to bed new genoa tracks on previous old boat,
      > but have used BoatLife too.
      >
      > --Neil
      > "Whisper"
      > S362-266
      > Salem MA
      >
      > On Feb 29, 2008, at 3:28 PM, Dan Trainor wrote:
      >

      > > I have used 3M 101, 3M 4200 and also BoatLife Life-Calk both
      > > (polysulfites) with good success - flexible sealant. Life-Calk
      > > does yellow is sun, 4200 UV does not. I would not use 5200
      > > (polyurethane) as it is a much more tenaious and permentant
      sealing
      > > - so if you rebed every 2-3 years (some folks rebed every year)
      it

    • cbrey@attglobal.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
        Following a tip on this list, I last year rebedded a leaking chainplate
        with Dolphinite bedding compound as an experiment.

        It's different from the usual polysulfides, such as Lifecaulk, that
        I've used over the years for bedding and sealing deck hardware. To
        begin with, it's a light brown, so if that puts you off, don't use it.
        But it is extremely sticky, clings tenaciously to steel and FRP, and
        remains soft and totally flexible, a great thing in this particular
        application where there's constant flex and motion as the shrouds
        take up tension and then relax, even at the mooring. It worked
        very well-- the former leak source remained bone dry-- and I plan
        to rebed the remaining chainplates using it. Because of the trim
        plates at the shroud bases, the color is not an issue for me. Not
        much shows through.

        There's a fella at my yard who years ago stopped using bedding
        compound and switched to using 1/8" neoprene rubber. It's a
        labor-intensive technique, obviously, since it involves cutting the
        rubber to shape, but it sure eliminates the problem of polysulfide
        finding its way all over you, your clothes, your boat, your
        neighbor's boat, &c. It also makes removal easier and less messy
        when it comes time to rebed. I believe the only time I saw him
        use a sealant, apart from putting a bit of goop on machine screw
        threads, was when he used 3M 5200 to install a below-water
        transducer.

        FYI.

        Carter Brey
        S28 MkII #532 "Delphine"
        City Island, NY

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
          4200 UV. I tried it last spring after no success with the usual
          BoatLife polysulfide. Seems to have adheared better, meaning no leaks.
          And is does stay white. Certainly don't use 5200, even though you'd
          like to think these will never have to come out. Anything that can move
          will eventially open up a crack.

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "rfeirste" <rfeirste@...> wrote:

          > I need to fix a leak at the chainplates, and other bolted deck parts
          > on my S32. Which adhesive is best; 3M's 5200 fast cure, slow cure or
          > 4200 UV?

        • rfeirste
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
            OK then. But who sells 4200 UV? Can't find it on the internet or at
            West Marine locally. Thanks
          • Dave Evans
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
              My bad; it's 4000UV, not 4200. In the new Defender catalog.
              dge

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "rfeirste" <rfeirste@...> wrote:

              > OK then. But who sells 4200 UV? Can't find it on the internet or at
              > West Marine locally. Thanks
            • Bill Blalock
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008

                The folks at Groco taught me a trick recently.  They said that heat works well for softening 5200 for removal.  Haven't tried it yet.

                Bill B

                My bad; it's 4000UV, not 4200. In the new Defender catalog.
                dge

                --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, "rfeirste" <rfeirste@.. .> wrote:

                > OK then. But who sells 4200 UV? Can't find it on the internet or at
                > West Marine locally. Thanks

              • Charles Sidwa
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
                  Carter,

                  Is this the product you are refering to?  http://www.boatingstore.com/us/dolphinite-bedding-compound-p16188.html If so it appears to come in white also.

                  Job well done in Korea!

                  Charlie

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 1, 2008
                    Bill

                    Heat is the only thing that will loosen 5200 short of thermo nuclear devices (pretty sure it is there heat that works there too).

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 3, 2008
                      I think that the 3M marine catalog I downloaded is just wrong with it
                      brags about 4200 UV. From what I can tell this product does not and
                      never existed. Most likely the catalog was intended to describe 4000
                      UV, and this product is sold on 3M's online store. That site does not
                      sell or find 4200 UV. We all make mistakes.
                    • Charles Sidwa
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 5, 2008

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 5, 2008
                          Yep, that's it. Didn't know it was available in other colors-- thanks.

                          CB

                          <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, March 01, 2008
                          1:02
                          PM</DIV>
                          <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: re:[SabreSailboat]
                          Re: Which
                          Adhesive To Use?</DIV>
                          <DIV><BR></DIV><!--[gte IE 5]><?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?
                          xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]-->
                          <DIV>
                          <DIV>Carter,</DIV>
                          <DIV>�</DIV>
                          <DIV>Is this the product you are refering to?� <A
                          title=http://www.boatingstore.com/us/dolphinite-bedding-compound-
                          p16188html
                          href="http://www.boatingstore.com/us/dolphinite-bedding-compound-
                          p16188html">http://www.boatingstore.com/us/dolphinite-bedding-
                          compound-p16188.html</A>�If
                          so it appears to come in white also.</DIV>
                          <DIV>�</DIV>
                          <DIV>Job well done in Korea!</DIV>
                          <DIV>�</DIV>
                          <DIV>Charlie</DIV>
                          <DIV>�</DIV>
                          <DIV>�</DIV>
                          <BLOCKQUOTE
                          title=mailto:cbrey@...
                          href="mailto:cbrey@...">cbrey@...</A> </DIV>

                          <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, March 01, 2008
                          3:50
                          AM</DIV>
                          <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> re:[SabreSailboat] Re:
                          Which
                          Adhesive To Use?</DIV>
                          <DIV><BR></DIV>
                          <DIV id=ygrp-text>
                          <P>Following a tip on this list, I last year rebedded a leaking chainplate
                          <BR>with Dolphinite bedding compound as an experiment.
                          <BR><BR>It's
                          different from the usual polysulfides, such as Lifecaulk, that <BR>I've
                          used
                          over the years for bedding and sealing deck hardware. To <BR>begin
                          with,
                          it's a light brown, so if that puts you off, don't use it. <BR>But it is
                          extremely sticky, clings tenaciously to steel and FRP, and <BR>remains
                          soft
                          and totally flexible, a great thing in this particular <BR>application
                          where
                          there's constant flex and motion as the shrouds <BR>take up tension
                          and then
                          relax, even at the mooring. It worked <BR>very well-- the former leak
                          source
                          remained bone dry-- and I plan <BR>to rebed the remaining chainplates
                          using
                          it. Because of the trim <BR>plates at the shroud bases, the color is not
                          an
                          issue for me. Not <BR>much shows through.<BR><BR>There's a fella at
                          my yard
                          who years ago stopped using bedding <BR>compound and switched to
                          using 1/8"
                          neoprene rubber. It's a <BR>labor-intensive technique, obviously, since
                          it
                          involves cutting the <BR>rubber to shape, but it sure eliminates the
                          problem
                          of polysulfide <BR>finding its way all over you, your clothes, your boat,
                          your <BR>neighbor's boat, &c. It also makes removal easier and less
                          messy <BR>when it comes time to rebed. I believe the only time I saw
                          him
                          <BR>use a sealant, apart from putting a bit of goop on machine screw
                          <BR>threads, was when he used 3M 5200 to install a below-water
                          <BR>transducer. <BR><BR>FYI.<BR><BR>Carter Brey<BR>S28 MkII
                          "Delphine"<BR>City Island, NY<BR><BR>---- Original Message ----
                          <BR><BR>From:
                          "followingsea2001" <<A title=mailto:mnthomas%40earthlink.net
                          href="mailto:mnthomas%
                          40earthlink.net">mnthomas@earthlink.<WBR>net</A>><BR>To:
                          <A title=mailto:Sabresailboat%40yahoogroups.com
                          href="mailto:Sabresailboat%
                          40yahoogroups.com">Sabresailboat@<WBR>yahoogroups.<WBR>com</A
                          ><BR>Cc:
                          <BR>Subject: [SabreSailboat] Re: Which Adhesive To Use?<BR>Date:
                          Sat, March
                          01, 2008, 07:13:00<BR><BR>We used 3M silicone on the shrouds
                          about 5 yeara
                          ago. No leaks <BR>so <BR>far. There are some who don't like silicone
                          but it
                          has worked for <BR>us. <BR>5200 is the wrong choice as it is next to
                          impossible to remove. <BR>And <BR>When new leaks develop you
                          WILL need to
                          remove it. <BR><BR>Martin.<BR><BR></P></DIV><!--End group email --
                          ></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>
                          </BODY></HTML>