Replacement for Binnacle

  • sabre32incision
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 10, 2008
      I have a Ritchie compass that sits in a plastic binnacle on the Edson steering pedestal. I don't
      like the looks of it and would like to replace it. See photo in the "Incision" album. I can't
      seem to find anything different from the one I have. Any suggestions?
    • R Coerse
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 10, 2008
        The Ritchie SP5 compass is in a stainless housing, but that is a $500 investment just for  looks

        Dick Coerse

        http://www.geocities.com/earlylight160/

        "Early Light"

        1982 Sabre 34  MK I  #160

        Solomons, MD

        I have a Ritchie compass that sits in a plastic binnacle on the Edson steering pedestal. I don't
        like the looks of it and would like to replace it. See photo in the "Incision" album. I can't
        seem to find anything different from the one I have. Any suggestions?

        FREE  Animations for your email - By IncrediMail! Click Here!
      • rfeirste
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 10, 2008
          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "sabre32incision" <gyrus1@...>
          wrote:

          > I have a Ritchie compass that sits in a plastic binnacle on the Edson
          steering pedestal. I don't
          > like the looks of it and would like to replace it. See photo in
          the "Incision" album. I can't
          > seem to find anything different from the one I have. Any suggestions?

          It is mounted very high. Consult with the Edison Marine online catalog
          for alternative and better looking mounting hardware. They also have an
          upgrade for some of the plastic parts that form the pedistal and the
          kit is now on sale (although still not cheap).
        • Neil Russell
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 10, 2008
            We replaced the ancient Ritchie compass on the old boat with
            a new model, and a nice stainless steel mount from Ritchie.
            Pretty sure that WM stocked both items ( circa 2002, however ).

            --Neil
            "Whisper"
            S362-266
            Salem MA

            wrote:

            > I have a Ritchie compass that sits in a plastic binnacle on the Edson
            steering pedestal. I don't
            > like the looks of it and would like to replace it. See photo in
            the "Incision" album. I can't
            > seem to find anything different from the one I have. Any suggestions?

            It is mounted very high. Consult with the Edison Marine online catalog
            for alternative and better looking mounting hardware. They also have an
            upgrade for some of the plastic parts that form the pedistal and the
            kit is now on sale (although still not cheap).

          • lenny smith
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 10, 2008
              You also may want to contact Ritchie.  It may be the compass mounting base that you're looking for.  The Ritchie Globemaster has a nice brushed stainless steel base but it's really pricey.

              Lenny Smith
              Born to Run
              S38 Mk1

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 10, 2008
                Neil Russell wrote:
                > We replaced the ancient Ritchie compass on the old boat with
                > a new model, and a nice stainless steel mount from Ritchie.
                > Pretty sure that WM stocked both items ( circa 2002, however ).

                Pity. You can get a Ritchie compass rebuilt for a small faction of the
                cost of new old. About the only thing they re-use is the serial
                number. New dome, new card, new bellows, new bearing, new oil. White
                on Commercial Wharf in Boston is the local shop.
              • sabre32incision
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 10, 2008
                  -The Edson catalog seems to only have the exact thing I am trying to replace...

                  > It is mounted very high. Consult with the Edison Marine online catalog
                  > for alternative and better looking mounting hardware. They also have an
                  > upgrade for some of the plastic parts that form the pedistal and the
                  > kit is now on sale (although still not cheap).

                • Dan Trainor
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 11, 2008
                    I replaced mine last spring.  Replaced white plastic compass cylinder #856WH-345 and new Richie compass, FN-201, same basic model, I believe.  Person at Edson recommended to buy from Hamilton Marine - as they were best supplier.

                    --
                    Dan
                  • Neil Russell
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 11, 2008
                      New model had a card that was about 50% larger and led lighting.

                      Wasn't sure that a repair would get me that -
                      larger card helped my near-sighted eyes on foggy and rainy days
                      and at night...

                      Good to know that Ritchey stands by their products though.

                      --Neil
                      "Whisper"
                      S362-266
                      Salem MA