Re: [SabreSailboat] best size inflatable dinghy

  • lenny smith
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 31, 2007
      I agree with Neil.  We had a 11 ft Achilles and it was too big.  A few years back we purchased an 8 ft Brigg RIB at the end of the season, got a great deal.  The weight is about the same as the Achilles and the rigid floor dramatically improves the stability.  My wife and I can load it into the back of pick-up or launch it from the dock without any difficulty.   If we plan to go a long distances we carry it on the cabin top, forward of the mast,. It fits nicely and leaves the forward deck open.  We plan to purchase davits at the boat show in Chicago this winter.

      We keep the dinghy inflated and covered when not in use.  It's surprising how much more you'll use it if you just have to remove the cover before you hop in, a lot less lifting and pumping.  Many of our friends have their dinghies rolled up in their deep cockpit locker.  The frequency of use becomes less and less as the amount of effort required to extract it becomes greater.

      My thoughts,

      Lenny
      Born to Run
      S38 MK1
      Port Clinton, OH

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
        Greg,

        For a decade we had a 9'-6" Zodiac (PVC) with air floor which served
        us well. Lots of room and light enough for me to put on the car rack
        every Sunday and store in the garage all week. The floor eventually
        failed and then the entire port seam from the tube to the bottom gave
        way and I decided to replace it.

        We then bought an 8"-8" Achilles (hypalon) LSI air floor which should
        have been the same weight as the larger Zodiac. Not so, it's heavier,
        so it has now lived at the dinghy dock fir three summers with no
        problems other than bottom growth.

        Both are rated for four persons and have no problem accommodating
        same. If you want to carry a lot of stuff, then some people have to
        be left behind for that trip. We have a 3hp 2-stroke, so know nothing
        about getting on plane! But it's easy to hang the motor on the stern
        rail. The shorter length of the Achilles has not been noticable in
        use.

        The air floor is great for rolling up the dinghy to stow on deck for
        a passage and reinflating when needed. Be less simple with a plywood
        floor. I think there is actually not much weight difference between
        the two floor systems; the hypalon air floor is pretty heavy.

        As others have said, check with Defender for sales, closeouts and
        even the rare unused returns (which we have). And while the spring
        sale is great fun, it can be cheaper to have things shipped than pay
        the CT sales tax.

        dge

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "greggonesailing"
        <gbrigham@...> wrote:

        > Greetings all,
        > I am looking for an inflatable dinghy for use with my newly
        purchased
        > S38. I plan to sail every 2nd or 3rd weekend during the summer and
        > deflate and stow the dingy between weekends. I may use davits later
        > but for now I will stow, haul on deck or, deflate.
        >
        > Right now I am looking at the 10 to 11 foot LOA range of dinghy
        with
        > a high pressure bottom (relatively light and easy to roll up)
        powered
        > by a 5 hp honda outboard. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best
        > size? Most often it will be my wife, my 4 year old daughter and I
        > (occasionaly aonther couple of adults).
        >
        > Previously I have used a small (6 foot) soft bottom dinghy which
        > worked but was too small for any extra cargo or passengers.
        >
        > Also I am leaning toward PVC over Hypalon because I live in the
        north
        > (lake erie) and therefor I prefer the welded seems of the pvc over
        > the uv protection of the hypalon. Any thoughts on this?
        >
        > Happy New Years Eve!
        > Greg

      • Bill B
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
          Greg,

          We have a 9 or 9.5 foot air floor inflatable for our S38mk1.  I think it is just about the best size for the boat, and it is the size I will buy again.  The primary advantage of the airfloor, imo, is the weight savings.  We have deflated and rolled it up from time to time, but only for long term storage.  It is a small pia to inflate and deflate, but no big deal.  It is a serious pia to haul around and muscle up and down the companionway while deflated, however.  It lives inflated and on the davits or on the foredeck for longer storage and passages.  Anything much bigger won't leave you any room on the foredeck, and my opinion is that you're going to want to put it there, unless you have great davits.  We've had two adults and four kids in it without any trouble.

          The hardest thing is getting the motor on and off of the dinghy and stern pulpit.  The best options are a motor you can lift with one hand, or a motor hoist, or super davits like Ed has on his 38mk1.  I went with the Honda 2hp option after having a Merc 9, and I personally love the Honda's ease of use.  I came most of the way at 5.5 knots in the big boat, so 5 knots for the last hundred yards works fine with a cold beer.

          This is a very subjective personal opinion.  Different strokes for different folks.  I'll post a photo to give you an idea of relative size in a little while.

          Bill B

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
            RE: defender, if you're from outside Conn. they have a dandy little
            form you can fill out that will exempt out of state boaters from the
            sales tax on inflatables purchased at their store. Charlie, S34 MkI,
            Pajama girl

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Bill B" <mookiesurfs@...>
            wrote:

            > Greg,
            >
            > We have a 9 or 9.5 foot air floor inflatable for our S38mk1. I
            think it is just about the best size for the boat, and it is the size
            I will buy again. The primary advantage of the airfloor, imo, is the
            weight savings. We have deflated and rolled it up from time to time,
            but only for long term storage. It is a small pia to inflate and
            deflate, but no big deal. It is a serious pia to haul around and
            muscle up and down the companionway while deflated, however. It
            lives inflated and on the davits or on the foredeck for longer
            storage and passages. Anything much bigger won't leave you any room
            on the foredeck, and my opinion is that you're going to want to put
            it there, unless you have great davits. We've had two adults and
            four kids in it without any trouble.

            > The hardest thing is getting the motor on and off of the dinghy and
            stern pulpit. The best options are a motor you can lift with one
            hand, or a motor hoist, or super davits like Ed has on his 38mk1. I
            went with the Honda 2hp option after having a Merc 9, and I
            personally love the Honda's ease of use. I came most of the way at
            5.5 knots in the big boat, so 5 knots for the last hundred yards
            works fine with a cold beer.

            > This is a very subjective personal opinion. Different strokes for
            different folks. I'll post a photo to give you an idea of relative
            size in a little while.

            > Bill B

          • Ed Burke
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
              Greg,

                  We bought an Apex 10' RIB and use a Honda 9HP 4 stroke on our 38MKI.  In my opinion after taking it down the ICW and to the Bahamas is that it is too big for our boat.  It was very comfortable and fast for the two of us, but in the davits it made maneuvering into slips and even up to fuel docks difficult.  It sticks out way too far on both sides of the stern.  We did get great davits from Kato which carry the dinghy and motor very securely.  We made the mistake of leaving the engine on the dinghy on a windy trip from the Exumas to Royal Island and we had to stop underway to drop the dinghy and take off the engine, but only because the prop was dragging in the water when we were heeled!  We also use the Kato outboard lift which made getting the motor off the dingy in windy conditions with 3' chop a little dicey, but easily handled by my wife and I.  I think I would go with the lightest 9' that you can find.  The 4 strokes are a bit heavy, but I think I'll keep my Honda.

                  Everyone we talked to said get the largest dinghy we could comfortably carry with an engine which will get it up on plane for cruising in the Bahamas, but I think Bill is a little closer on what is really needed (even though 2HP might be a bit light just in case you need to go against some wind).  The Apex, Honda, Davits, and lift are more weight than I like hanging on the back of my 38MKI.

                              Ed Burke
                              Merlin S38MKI (for sale, without the davits and with a roll up dinghy)

                              http://home.comcast.net/~svmerlin

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 7, 2008
                  hi Greg,

                  I have had the 10' 4" high pressure inflatable (west marine) with a
                  6hp outboard for about 4 years..

                  1. the high pressure floor actually allows this to be both portable
                  and have performance so i strongly support your decision on this type
                  of dink
                  2. I bought this size since at the time of the sale it was cheaper
                  than the smaller one... (go figure) but the 9' 6" would have been
                  more than adequate.
                  3. Since (usually) the 4,5 & 6hp engines are the same weight (around
                  55lbs) go for the 6hp... My setup easily planes with two adults and
                  groceries n stuff.

                  i really do not know of any combination that provides this level of
                  performance while still being "luggable"..

                  I usually tow the dink, but can pull it up on the spinnaker halyard
                  and sit it on the foredeck.
                  The engine sits on a mount on the stern rail and i can lug it down
                  the transom by myself (if i must), but with two, lowering it into the
                  dink is easy..even in less than ideal weather.

                  hope this helps,

                  ian

                  S38 mkII #205 "Tuscan Sun"

                  <gbrigham@...> wrote:

                  > Greetings all,
                  > I am looking for an inflatable dinghy for use with my newly
                  purchased
                  > S38. I plan to sail every 2nd or 3rd weekend during the summer and
                  > deflate and stow the dingy between weekends. I may use davits later
                  > but for now I will stow, haul on deck or, deflate.
                  >
                  > Right now I am looking at the 10 to 11 foot LOA range of dinghy
                  with
                  > a high pressure bottom (relatively light and easy to roll up)
                  powered
                  > by a 5 hp honda outboard. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best
                  > size? Most often it will be my wife, my 4 year old daughter and I
                  > (occasionaly aonther couple of adults).
                  >
                  > Previously I have used a small (6 foot) soft bottom dinghy which
                  > worked but was too small for any extra cargo or passengers.
                  >
                  > Also I am leaning toward PVC over Hypalon because I live in the
                  north
                  > (lake erie) and therefor I prefer the welded seems of the pvc over
                  > the uv protection of the hypalon. Any thoughts on this?
                  >
                  > Happy New Years Eve!
                  > Greg

                • greggonesailing
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 7, 2008
                    Thanks to all for responses. It looks like one of those less is more
                    situations, I think I will down size a foot or two. Very helpful!

                    Boat gets delivered tomorrow to port clinton, wouldn't you know it,
                    30 mph winds and thunder storms predicted!
                    Greg

                    <gbrigham@...> wrote:

                    > Greetings all,
                    > I am looking for an inflatable dinghy for use with my newly
                    purchased
                    > S38. I plan to sail every 2nd or 3rd weekend during the summer and
                    > deflate and stow the dingy between weekends. I may use davits later
                    > but for now I will stow, haul on deck or, deflate.
                    >
                    > Right now I am looking at the 10 to 11 foot LOA range of dinghy
                    with
                    > a high pressure bottom (relatively light and easy to roll up)
                    powered
                    > by a 5 hp honda outboard. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best
                    > size? Most often it will be my wife, my 4 year old daughter and I
                    > (occasionaly aonther couple of adults).
                    >
                    > Previously I have used a small (6 foot) soft bottom dinghy which
                    > worked but was too small for any extra cargo or passengers.
                    >
                    > Also I am leaning toward PVC over Hypalon because I live in the
                    north
                    > (lake erie) and therefor I prefer the welded seems of the pvc over
                    > the uv protection of the hypalon. Any thoughts on this?
                    >
                    > Happy New Years Eve!
                    > Greg

                  • Jan Meermans
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 17, 2008
                      Greg,

                      Sorry to be late in response, but I have not been in range of internet
                      in a while. Have a look at the Photo section "Capriccio" and you will
                      see our setup of an Avon 8'6' Rib LITE with which I use a 8 hp
                      Mercury. Since your dink is like your car down here in Mexico, you
                      want sturdy and fast so that means hard bottom and large engine that
                      can get up on a plane. This dink replaced a 9'3" APEX roll up that
                      weighed the same but I did not want to land it on beaches with shells
                      and rocks for months on end. It did make a good package to rollup and
                      tie down topside whereas I carry this one upsidedown in front of the
                      mast for open water passages. The davits are for short moves which
                      leaves the deck clear forward. At night, we suspend it alongside a
                      foot or so above the water with a three point harness from the
                      spinnaker halyard to keep it from being stolen. The Avon does have a
                      folding transome and goes into a bag but is not compact enough to take
                      below or go into the lazarette. I go along with the other comments you
                      already have. I have no experience with an air floor but I have ridden
                      in them and think I like the rollup which has a hard floor for your
                      feet/gear.

                      I guess a consideration for you right now would be the icebreaking
                      ablility of the various dinks on the market. I can't comment on that
                      either as the only ice I see down here is in my Margarita! Sorry I
                      could not help myself.

                      Enjoy your new (to you) Sabre.

                      Jan, S38Mk I #41 Capriccio, Barra de Navidad, Mexico