Re: [SabreSailboat] Poly Planar speakers

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 6, 2007
      do not know about the big units, but I have used polyplanars on the external jack of my vhf with very good results. Very clear.

      mapo123158 <mambro@...> wrote:
      Does anyone out there have any knowledge on PolyPlanar speakers? We
      are looking at the MA5500 model to use in the main cabin.

      Thanks

      Mark

    • Dan Trainor
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6, 2007
        I just got some Polk RM7 satelite speaker (they come in white or black) to replace my bulkhead mounted speakers. Very compact. Not marine, but they are of composite structure so I think they should last.

        Another choice might be Polk RM101:

        On 12/5/07, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

        After listening to a bunch of small bookshelf speakers, I went with JBL Control One Extremes. They aren't "marine" speakers but they have moisture proof molded composite cabinets and a two-way bass reflex design.  At @ $100/pair (J&R Music World) the sound was so close in quality to boutique speakers costing four to five times as much it was a virtual no-brainer. With a JVC AM/FM/CD/DVD player (not "marine" either), the ambience below is pretty nice, doing equal justice to Sir Neville Marriner and the Academy of St.Martin's–in-the-Fields and Elvis' rendition of Chuck Berry's "Promised Land". Elvis could use a powered sub-woofer, but....

        Pete

        I could not find any reviews online. Sailnet seems to have the best
        price .. $182.43

        On Dec 5, 2007, at 7:51 PM, mapo123158 wrote:

        > Does anyone out there have any knowledge on PolyPlanar speakers? We
        > are looking at the MA5500 model to use in the main cabin.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Mark
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Greg Allen
        gregallen1@...
        Home: 781-639-4688
        Mobile: 781-910-7442

        --
        Dan
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 6, 2007

          Dan –

          Very similar to the JBLs.  The JBL uses a ½” titanium tweeter and a 4” composite mid/bass.  Both are magnetically shielded.  I have Polks at home, I like their sound.  I think the key to buying speakers is to go listen to the ones that meet your physical requirements (size, construction, power capacity, etc.). Carry a CD of music you like to get the best impressions.

          I could not find any reviews online. Sailnet seems to have the best
          price .. $182.43

          On Dec 5, 2007, at 7:51 PM, mapo123158 wrote:

          > Does anyone out there have any knowledge on PolyPlanar speakers? We
          > are looking at the MA5500 model to use in the main cabin.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Mark
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Greg Allen
          gregallen1@comcast. net
          Home: 781-639-4688
          Mobile: 781-910-7442

          --
          Dan

        • Dan Trainor
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 6, 2007
            Peter - I agree.  One thing I noticed is the car/marine speakers are 4 ohms -vs- 8 ohms for home speakers.  I have a car stereo - I have not hooked up new speaker yet to hear difference - but I would think for same vol dial setting, current to speakers will now be half what it was and sound pressure level (assuming sensitiivty of new speakers are same - which they aren't) will only be -3dB down (only barely noticeable).  So therefore not a problem at all - using 8 ohm speakers - Dan

            On 12/6/07, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

            Dan –

            Very similar to the JBLs.  The JBL uses a ½" titanium tweeter and a 4" composite mid/bass.  Both are magnetically shielded.  I have Polks at home, I like their sound.  I think the key to buying speakers is to go listen to the ones that meet your physical requirements (size, construction, power capacity, etc.). Carry a CD of music you like to get the best impressions.

            I could not find any reviews online. Sailnet seems to have the best
            price .. $182.43

            On Dec 5, 2007, at 7:51 PM, mapo123158 wrote:

            > Does anyone out there have any knowledge on PolyPlanar speakers? We
            > are looking at the MA5500 model to use in the main cabin.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Mark
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Greg Allen