Re: [SabreSailboat] Sabre 34 MKI Battery Change and Compartment Config

  • brucep2100@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2007
      I'm thinking of changing my battery configuration from 2 GRP 24 deep cycles paralleled via a 1-2-all-off  to 2 6V in series and a grp 24 deep cycle for a starter battery.   I would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, or experiences from the group.

      I did look at Dick Coerse's web site which is often the first place I go for inspiration, particularly since my hull, #168, is close to Dick's.  Dick, I see you switched to 2 6V  batteries - anything special you had to do?  I also see what looks like a 3rd battery in the compartment?  Again, anything special you had to do to get it to fit? At first glance, it looks like the hoses from the engine to the hot water heater might get in the way?

      Thanks for your input.

      Bruce Patterson
      1982 Sabre 34 MKI #168

    • David Felsenthal
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2007
        Atlantea has 2 6 Volt in series and a group 27 starting battery. The
        2 6 volt worked well because of the form factor.

        I have a Blue sea systems #7600 automatic charging relay and a 5511e
        dual circuit plus battery switch. We used to have a diode combiner.
        This setup is more efficient, as it gets rid of the diode voltage drop.

        Make sure your charging system is adequate to charge the batteries in
        a reasonable period of time. Our house bank is 265 A-H, and our
        alternator tops out at about 60 A. Takes forever to charge if you
        make the mistake of running the main bank all the way down. A better
        alternator and regulator are now on the long term list.

        David

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2007
          Bruce -
          A couple of thoughts. First, make sure that all batteries are the same type - Flooded, AGM or gel. Second, a deep cycle battery is not the best choice for a starter battery.  Deep cycles are just that, they provide a flow of power over an extended time, then get charged back up. Starter batteries are the same as car batteries. They provide a big slug of amperage to start the engine, then immediately get charged back up.  Pick a good marine starting battery. If you do the house bank with 6v batteries they are basically golf cart batteries and are deep cycle.

          Once you have all that house capacity, make sure that your alternator and regulator are up to the job of charging them.  You'll probably need a high output alternator from Balmar with a smart regulator.   The stock alternator is only 50-60 amps and has an internal regulator that limits its ability to charge a big bank even further. Not as big an issue if you are in a slip and can use the shore power charger regularly.  On a mooring or for extended cruising, charging would become an issue.
          You should also consider going to a Blue Seas battery switch system that isolates the house and starting batteries in conjunction with a battery combiner or charging relay.

          Pete