S38 MK i mast length

  • greggonesailing
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 26, 2007
      Does anyone know the mast lenght and bridge clearance for a S38 MK i
      C/B? Thanks,
      Greg
    • Ed Burke
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 26, 2007
        Scaled from the drawings in the brocure it's a couple inches shy of 53.5"

        This jives with my memory for my Sabre 38MKI.  It was important to me when I bought it since it's slip was upstream of a power line across St. Leonard's creek off the Patuxent in the Chesapeake.  Add a couple more feet for mast head light and antenna and 56' should be safe.

        I'm going down to the boat in a couple of days and can measure it with a tape if you need a real measurement.

        Sabre lists the 362 mast height at 53' 2"
        and the 38MKII at 55'6"

                Ed Burke
                Merlin S38MKI (for sale)

        Does anyone know the mast lenght and bridge clearance for a S38 MK i
        C/B? Thanks,
        Greg

      • Mookiesurfs Comcast
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 26, 2007
          These are the numbers for my 1986 S38 mk1 c/b aft cabin, with a caveat:  It has a Hood Stoway mast, and I can't promise that a regular mast will be the same.  Max height above water is about 56 feet.  The spar is 54' 10.5" long, but 22.5" of that sits below the water line, so you have 53 feet of spar above the water plus the spar cap, lights, windex, and vhf antenna.
          Bill B

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 27, 2007
            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Burke" <merlin0038@...>
            wrote:

            > Scaled from the drawings in the brocure it's a couple inches shy of
            53.5"

            > This jives with my memory for my Sabre 38MKI. It was important to
            me when I
            > bought it since it's slip was upstream of a power line across St.
            Leonard's
            > creek off the Patuxent in the Chesapeake. Add a couple more feet
            for mast
            > head light and antenna and 56' should be safe.
            >
            > I'm going down to the boat in a couple of days and can measure it
            with a
            > tape if you need a real measurement.
            >
            > Sabre lists the 362 mast height at 53' 2"
            > and the 38MKII at 55'6"
            >

            > Ed Burke
            > Merlin S38MKI (for sale)
            > http://home.comcast.net/~svmerlin

            Hi Ed,
            Thanks for the information. This is close enough no need to trouble
            you with measurement.
            Thanks again,
            Greg
          • mystic_camera
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2007
              had to laugh...

              this reminds me of a joke from home.

              Two irish labourers were asked to measure the height of a flagpole..

              Shamus says "Paddy, why don't we unstep the pole, lay it down and
              measure how long it is?"

              Paddy replies "Don't be stupid Shamus!.. we need to know how high is
              is, not how long it is"

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "greggonesailing"