Re: Many thanks...

  • dabunders
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 3, 2006
      Hi Bob - We will be at Whitehall Yacht Yard on Whitehall Creek - other
      side of the bridge from you and then between the bridge and Annapolis.

      Jay
    • bluenosebob@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 4, 2006
        Jay-when youre out sailing this summer hail the Bluenose - it would be fun to compare boats.  What is yours named?.  Bob
      • dabunders
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 4, 2006
          Bob,

          Will do - Siboney is still on the stern, but she will be Georgia Yale.
          We wi likely be over your way fairly often - I have relatives on that
          side of the bridge and I suspect we will find it quieter over there.

          Jay
        • neil summers
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 4, 2006

            I am in the market for a new main sail. Does anyone have an opinion about Doyle Sails, North Sails, Quantum Sails or UK Sailmakers? I just want a regular sail for cruising. I am also interested in the Doyle Stack Pack. Does anyone have any experience with it? Is it worth it? Thank you for your opinions!

            Neil Summers
            Sabre 28
            #518 Azure
            Chicago
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 4, 2006

              I bought a Premium NorDac main from North Chesapeake with two full battens, a loose foot, and Dutchman flaking, delivered in August 05.  The difference in upwind performance over the old main was phenomenal.  The price was competitive as well.

              Pete

              Solace

              S30/200

              #518 Azure
              Chicago

              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 4, 2006
                neil summers wrote:

                > I am in the market for a new main sail. Does anyone have an opinion
                > about Doyle Sails, North Sails, Quantum Sails or UK Sailmakers? I just
                > want a regular sail for cruising. I am also interested in the Doyle
                > Stack Pack. Does anyone have any experience with it? Is it worth it?
                > Thank you for your opinions!

                When I bought my S36 in 1985, I passed up the opportunity to be
                Stack-Pac customer #1. They had engineering drawings, but hadn't made
                one yet. It looked quite complicated and not that promising. A friend
                ended up taking the honors as customer #1 and had his boat pictured in
                every sailing magazine printed. On the other hand, he also had lots of
                opportunities to deal with Doyle as they shook the bugs out. Since
                then, about 2/3 of my sailing friends have cut over. All are happy,
                very happy. I still don't have one, but I do have a bunch of very
                satisfactory Doyle sails. Their Marblehead loft(s) have a reputation of
                very good, consistent sails. Their service has from time to time been a
                little troublesome, but the rough edges have always been ironed out to
                the satisfaction of all parties.

                In other words, go for it.
              • Ralph
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 5, 2006
                  Hi Neil:

                  I have a S-28 # 513 Series II. Bought it from Bruce at Sailboat Sales Co (Crowley's). Yours might be a Series III. I just took delivery of a new Quantum main and 135%.  Have flown the 135 but the main is still in the bag... am waiting until spring to bend 'er on.   Both sails are standard cross-cut.

                  The  135% is Challenge 7.62 HA cloth.  I added draft stripes, furl marks at the 110% and 90% points, and extra telltales.  I also went for a low rise clew.  Prior to ordering, I lengthened the inboard genoa tracks, so I can now handle anything from a 150% to a 90% genoa on the inboard track.  I considered a tri-radial, at almost 2x the cost, but the Quantum rep talked me out of it, since I don't race.  Sailing with just the 135% close hauled, I was hitting 4.5 to 5+ kts in a 10-12 kt. breeze.  It really pulled me along!

                  The main is Challenge 6.62 HA cloth.   I went for a loose footed setup, with an under cut foot.  The foot extends just below the bottom of the boom. I added webbing at the tack for a block so I can have single line furling, since I sail solo. Prior to ordering, I replaced the outhaul blocks, and ran the outhaul line, forward to the mast, down to the base plate, back to the cabintop, and secured by a rope clutch.  I asked the Quantum rep about a Dutchman system, but he recommended I stick with my lazyjacks for lowest maintenance and best performance.

                  Challenge has a great website, where you can learn a lot about sailcloth.  See www.challengesailcloth.com.  Quantum also has a lot of info about sails and sail trim at www.quantumsails.com.  Also look at North's site.

                  I chose Quantum for 2 reasons.  The loft rep came up to Dallas from Houston, sailed my boat, and took the measurements.  Then he delivered the sails, and checked the fit. Also got a pre-season discount.

                  Much to study & think about.  Enjoy!

                  Ralph S-28 # 513  Windrider

                  #518 Azure
                  Chicago
                • Kizziar, James
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 5, 2006
                    Re: [SabreSailboat] Main sail choices

                    Who was the Quantum rep. In Houston?

                    Jim Kizziar
                    Sabre 362
                    Alibi III

                            #518 Azure
                            Chicago

                            Boating sailing <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+sailing&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&s=58&.sig=7vHntZUv3Cq-8RMLyOb4Ng>    Sailing <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sailing&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&s=58&.sig=wzVbuCeWS6rfwNSNQG88GQ>    Sabre <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sabre&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&s=58&.sig=W3KiWfigfLLZ2gbZfKCuTg>

                    ________________________________

                  • Ralph
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 5, 2006
                      Re: [SabreSailboat] Main sail choices
                      Jim:

                      Jake Scott
                      Quantum Sail Design Group
                      1606 First St.
                      Seabrook, TX  77586
                      T: 281-474-4168
                      Cell:  832-492-3205
                      email - jscott@...

                      Ralph

                              #518 Azure
                              Chicago

                              Boating sailing <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+sailing&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&s=58&.sig=7vHntZUv3Cq-8RMLyOb4Ng>    Sailing <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sailing&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&s=58&.sig=wzVbuCeWS6rfwNSNQG88GQ>    Sabre <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sabre&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&s=58&.sig=W3KiWfigfLLZ2gbZfKCuTg>

                      ________________________________

                    • David Felsenthal
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 5, 2006
                        I've been on one boat with a stack pack, a 43 foot cat for 8 days, and
                        it worked well.

                        I would choose based on service. I happen to know the Doyle gang here in
                        Marblehead, as well as the North Loft people. I've chosen Doyle. North
                        is OK too. Check out your local lofts. How do you feel about the service
                        department? How do your buddies feel?

                        There are often price differences. A little negotiating can make many of
                        them go away.

                        David

                        neil summers wrote:

                        > I am in the market for a new main sail. Does anyone have an opinion
                        > about Doyle Sails, North Sails, Quantum Sails or UK Sailmakers? I just
                        > want a regular sail for cruising. I am also interested in the Doyle
                        > Stack Pack. Does anyone have any experience with it? Is it worth it?
                        > Thank you for your opinions!
                        >
                        > Neil Summers
                        > Sabre 28
                        > #518 Azure
                        > Chicago

                        > Boating sailing
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+sailing&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&s=58&.sig=7vHntZUv3Cq-8RMLyOb4Ng>
                        > Sailing
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sailing&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&s=58&.sig=wzVbuCeWS6rfwNSNQG88GQ>
                        > Sabre
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sabre&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&s=58&.sig=W3KiWfigfLLZ2gbZfKCuTg>
                        >
                        > Boating
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&s=58&.sig=sDRozAmistjFHj52YmngBQ>

                        David
                        Atlantea, Sabre 38 MKII
                      • Michael Long
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 5, 2006
                          I chose Doyle based on the sail quality of my main and headsail. Most
                          important , Doyle's service was also why I chose them since they had a lot
                          of experience with Sabres and in particular he 402.

                          After I bought my Mainsail Doyle sent Richard Bouzaid out to sail in race
                          with me . Richard was the mainsail trimmer on the Alinghi team that won that
                          won the America's Cup . See
                          http://www.alinghi.com/en/alinghi/team/sailing/bouzaid/. Needlless to say he
                          help me a lot on tacking and trimming.

                          Chris Howes of Doyle Marblehead has always been available to anwer questions
                          and give me pointers.

                          I guess one really needs to buy expertise and service.

                          Regards,

                          Mike Long

                          >From: David Felsenthal <atlantea@...>
                          >To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: Re: [SabreSailboat] Main sail choices
                          >Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 09:59:16 -0500
                          >
                          >I've been on one boat with a stack pack, a 43 foot cat for 8 days, and
                          >it worked well.
                          >
                          >I would choose based on service. I happen to know the Doyle gang here in
                          >Marblehead, as well as the North Loft people. I've chosen Doyle. North
                          >is OK too. Check out your local lofts. How do you feel about the service
                          >department? How do your buddies feel?
                          >
                          >There are often price differences. A little negotiating can make many of
                          >them go away.
                          >
                          >David
                          >

                          >neil summers wrote:
                          > >

                          > > I am in the market for a new main sail. Does anyone have an opinion
                          > > about Doyle Sails, North Sails, Quantum Sails or UK Sailmakers? I just
                          > > want a regular sail for cruising. I am also interested in the Doyle
                          > > Stack Pack. Does anyone have any experience with it? Is it worth it?
                          > > Thank you for your opinions!
                          > >
                          > > Neil Summers
                          > > Sabre 28
                          > > #518 Azure
                          > > Chicago

                          > > Boating sailing

                          > > Sailing

                          > > Sabre

                          > > Boating

                          >--
                          >David
                          >Atlantea, Sabre 38 MKII

                        • Daniel Trainor
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 5, 2006
                            Last Year I bought new Main and 125% Geneoa from Quantum - Steve Thurston in Bristol,RI.   Challenge 7.76 sail cloth for both.  Main with loose foot.   Experience, workmanship, service.

                            Dan

                            daniel.trainor[*at*]earthlink.net , where [*at*] = @

                            I chose Doyle based on the sail quality of my main and headsail. Most
                            important , Doyle's service was also why I chose them since they had a lot
                            of experience with Sabres and in particular he 402.

                            After I bought my Mainsail Doyle sent Richard Bouzaid out to sail in race
                            with me . Richard was the mainsail trimmer on the Alinghi team that won that
                            won the America's  Cup . See
                            http://www.alinghi.com/en/alinghi/team/sailing/bouzaid/. Needlless to say he
                            help me a lot on tacking and trimming.

                            Chris Howes of Doyle Marblehead has always been available to anwer questions
                            and give me pointers.

                            I guess one really needs to buy expertise and service.

                            Regards,

                            Mike Long

                            >From: David Felsenthal <atlantea@...>
                            >To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [SabreSailboat] Main sail choices
                            >Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 09:59:16 -0500
                            >
                            >I've been on one boat with a stack pack, a 43 foot cat for 8 days,  and
                            >it worked well.
                            >
                            >I would choose based on service. I happen to know the Doyle gang here in
                            >Marblehead, as well as the North Loft people. I've chosen Doyle. North
                            >is OK too. Check out your local lofts. How do you feel about the service
                            >department? How do your buddies feel?
                            >
                            >There are often price differences. A little negotiating can make many of
                            >them go away.
                            >
                            >David
                            >

                            >neil summers wrote:
                            > >

                            > > I am in the market for a new main sail. Does anyone have an opinion
                            > > about Doyle Sails, North Sails, Quantum Sails or UK Sailmakers? I just
                            > > want a regular sail for cruising. I am also interested in the Doyle
                            > > Stack Pack. Does anyone have any experience with it? Is it worth it?
                            > > Thank you for your opinions!
                            > >
                            > > Neil Summers
                            > > Sabre 28
                            > > #518 Azure
                            > > Chicago

                            > > Boating sailing

                            > >       Sailing

                            > >       Sabre

                            > > Boating

                            > >     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                            > >       Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                            >--
                            >David
                            >Atlantea, Sabre 38 MKII

                          • Michael Long
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 5, 2006
                              Glad to hear about your satisfaction with Thurston , I am having them make a
                              dodger for me

                              Regards,

                              Mike Long

                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 5, 2006

                                Neil –

                                You’ve heard from all across the country. You heard different names but the same advice. Find the local lofts that have a good reputation, especially for advice, measuring, fitting and follow-up, and make a choice and negotiate a price.  Be sure to get and compare their advice on weight, construction, battens and foot configuration.  You won’t go wrong.

                                Pete

                                #518 Azure
                                Chicago

                              • Daniel Trainor
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 5, 2006
                                  Neil Thurston is well known for many years around these parts  (Portsmouth, Bristol, Newport RI) for making THE BEST canvas dodgers.  If you walk down any dock, atleast 1/2  were made by Thurston and if you look up close ( and sometimes afar) you can really tell the difference in quality.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 5, 2006
                                    Re: [SabreSailboat] Main sail choices

                                    Thanks for the contact information.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 5, 2006
                                      I would second Pete's comment.  Find a Local loft with good rep and a sailmaker willing to come out to boat for measuring, fitting and followup.  Do your own homework first wrt cloth material, batten configuration (full or 2 full +2 half), loose footed main or not, crosscut dacron or radial design.  type of luff slides,  reef points (normally 2), Size of geneoa, Higher/Lower cut clew on genoa, extra tell tales, draft stripes, etc, etc, etc,   At the end of day take the sailmakers advise or atleast allow them to lead you in a certain direction.  When I went into sail loft to talk with sailmaker last year, I was set on 8.62 weight cloth, full battened main and an attached foot (bolt rope).  The sailmaker guided me in a slightly different direction.  7.72 weight cloth, Loose footed main and 2 half battens up and two full down.  I can tell you I am not sorry I took the advise.  especially the loose footed main as it is easier to let out the out haul to get a more rounded shape below when sailing downwind - much more control.  But anywat, the point is do alot of homework and find the best sailmaker closest to homeport (In my case it was Steve Thurston) and go for it.

                                      #518 Azure
                                      Chicago

                                    • Joseph A. Murphy
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 5, 2006

                                        I can vouch for the Stack Pack.  Cruising most of the time with only my wife it has been a great addition.  We have had it now for about three years and except for having to be dead into the wind to drop the main, I don’t think I could live without it.

                                        Joe Murphy S38M1

                                        #518 Azure
                                        Chicago

                                      • Michael Long
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 5, 2006
                                          Have you thought about Doyle installing the Dutchman System of Sail Flaking
                                          ? http://www.mvbinfo.com/dp_03_SF_install_info.html

                                          Regards,

                                          Mike Long