Survey Results

  • dabunders
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 29, 2006
      On Friday we conducted the pre-purchase survey and sea-trial on the
      1981 Sabre 28 we are purchasing and I now have the survey results.
      David Manning did the survey. No major issues. However, there are
      a few things that I think the seller ought to resolve and I would
      very much appreciate some input from you all as past buyers and
      sellers.

      The list price ws $23,500, and we agreed on $19,000 subject to a
      survey and sea-trial to buyers satisfaction.

      I have summarized the reccomendations from the survey and indicated
      my thoughts in brackets:

      1. Monitor hull to deck joint at starboard stern quarter for
      possible leak and caulk as found necessary. Evidence of softbedding
      material being used to seal the joint - all appears secure, but
      there are some stains on the starboard side of the lazarette that
      indicate a leak at some point. [Just something for me to watch. No
      need to ask seller address.]

      2. Replace cracked plexiglass in the sliding compainway hatch as
      found or thought necessary. [I noted this prior to survey and my
      offer was made knowing of this issue. No need to ask seller to
      address.]

      3. Replace cabin trunk eyebroes, they have been sanded down over
      the years, are loose in some spots, and are missing some fastner
      bungs. [Not something that relates to the safe operation, etc. No
      need to ask seller to address.]

      4. Recaulk chainplates and replace missing securing fastners on the
      chainplate covers at deck level. [I must have been away from David
      at this point as I do not recall the missing fastners. Either ask
      seller to replace them or plan to do so ASAP.]

      5. Seacocks for cockpit drains, galley sink, and head discharge are
      frozen in the open position. Service. [This is the sort of thing
      many do themselves. The owner tended to pay others to perform most
      work. I have reviewed his records and I suspect that in the five
      years he owned her, they were never done. So, even though only
      these were frozen, all likley require some attention. Ask seller to
      service all, or at least frozen ones, or plan to do myself ASAP.]

      6. Discharge line for head should be fitted with a vented elbow to
      prevent possible back siphoning. [This was a reccomendation from
      his survey and I knew it had not been done. Seller just had a new
      tank and all lines installed. No need to ask seller to address, but
      consider doing if any work is done to the head in the future.]

      7. Sternlight and anchor light are not operational. [Ask seller to
      address.]

      8. Shore power. Connect ground to engine negative through a
      galvanic isolater. Install a reverse polarity warning device.
      Replace threaded plastic insert in receptaacle cap. [Replace insert
      ASAP and address the others myself in the future.]

      9. Recaulk the knot-meter thru-hull fitting - weeping during the
      sea-trial. [Ask seller to address. I could do this, but my wife
      will never be happy buying a boat that has a leak, no matter how
      small.]

      10. Transmission fluid is low. [Top off and monitor.]

      11. Engine should be fitted with a vented elbow prior to the
      echaust dump to prevent possible back siphoning. [This was noted in
      the prior survey and never addressed. I was aware when I made my
      offer. No need to ask seller to address.]

      12. Temperature gauge not working and audio-visual warning system
      is not functioning. Also, crack in oil pressure gauge lens. [Ask
      seller to address first two. I knew about the cracked lens when I
      made my offer.]

      13. Tighten steering cables as they are a bit slack. [Address
      myself.]

      14. Replace flares and recharge one fire extinguisher. [Address
      myself.]

      I would appreciate your input. I would like to sign acceptance
      soonest contingent upon certain items being addressed.

      Thanks,

      Jay
    • Ken Young
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 29, 2006
        Given the PO's appraoch, I'd ask him to kick in
        another $500 and do everything revealed by the survey
        about which you were not aware myself. That way you
        know its done correctly and on you own schedule.

        Ken Young

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • GRAHAM BROADHURST
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 29, 2006
          Hi Jay
          There are a couple of items on your list that I would question
          I would be wary of the fasteners missing and state of the chainplate trim plates.
          If missing it may be because the securing material has gone from underneath the fibreglass deck.  Was the deck around the chainplates checked thoroughly for damp/wet?
          The second would be the evidence of leaking from the hull to deck joint.  Tightening the bolts may cure the problem but rebedding does not seem as simple.
           Graham S34 Fearless

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 29, 2006
            Congratultations Jay

            #2  I'd check the price of plexiglass. That stuff Sabre used is very thick and from the couple times I checked on the, it is not cheap.

            #4 I agree, you need to ensure everything below is ok from the years of dripping, else it could get expensive and/or you could lose the rig.

            #5  Seacocks can be done when you have it out of the water.  Are the suckers green, cause if they are, they could be a real pia to tear apart. Hopefully, you can undo the nuts and drive them out.

            #6  A 10 minute job once you understand where you wish to install. Unit is ~60 bucks.

            #9  I sure hope you used the word caulk and not the inspector. Caulk will not hole in such an underwater place. I once destroyed a knotmeter housing by using it. You need to ensure they use a compound for use underwater.  I think Polysulfide will do the trick, but no silicone.

            #10  I would expect it to be drained and then refilled. It should be done every year, and if the prior owner did not do seacocks, I will bet a buck this has not been flushed recently either.

            14  replace both extingishers and keep the other one as a 3rd backup. You then know you have 2 fresh units on board.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 29, 2006
              Thanks Graham.

              Survey indicated "minor moisture intrusion around the port side
              upper shroud chainplate."

              It also indicated "All stainless steel fittings appear adequately
              secured and in servicable condition. It was noted that there are
              stains on the interior running down the main bulkheads at both upper
              shroud chainplates, but no active leaking was observed. Also, an
              epoxy saturating repair has been accomplished along the top of the
              backstay chainplate gusset in the aft lazarette, thought
              necessitated by leak problems at this chainplate."

              Under reccomendations it notes "Chainplates - Recaulk and replace
              the missing securing fastners on the chainplate covers at deck
              level."

              Other than the missing fastners, the same issues were identified in
              the previous survey in 2000.

              Jay

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, GRAHAM BROADHURST
              <doversabre@r...> wrote:

> [...]
              >
              > 10. Transmission fluid is low. [Top off and monitor.]
              >
              > 11. Engine should be fitted with a vented elbow prior to the
              > echaust dump to prevent possible back siphoning. [This was noted
              in
              > the prior survey and never addressed. I was aware when I made my
              > offer. No need to ask seller to address.]
              >
              > 12. Temperature gauge not working and audio-visual warning system
              > is not functioning. Also, crack in oil pressure gauge lens. [Ask
              > seller to address first two. I knew about the cracked lens when I
              > made my offer.]
              >
              > 13. Tighten steering cables as they are a bit slack. [Address
              > myself.]
              >
              > 14. Replace flares and recharge one fire extinguisher. [Address
              > myself.]
              >
              > I would appreciate your input. I would like to sign acceptance
              > soonest contingent upon certain items being addressed.

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------

            • Tom
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 30, 2006
                Regarding the plexiglass I got a sheet from Glen at Sabre for about
                $75. Before that I was looking at buying an entire sheet for hundreds.

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "dabunders" <dabunders@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                > >
                > > 10. Transmission fluid is low. [Top off and monitor.]
                > >
                > > 11. Engine should be fitted with a vented elbow prior to the
                > > echaust dump to prevent possible back siphoning. [This was noted
                > in
                > > the prior survey and never addressed. I was aware when I made my
                > > offer. No need to ask seller to address.]
                > >
                > > 12. Temperature gauge not working and audio-visual warning system
                > > is not functioning. Also, crack in oil pressure gauge lens. [Ask
                > > seller to address first two. I knew about the cracked lens when I
                > > made my offer.]
                > >
                > > 13. Tighten steering cables as they are a bit slack. [Address
                > > myself.]
                > >
                > > 14. Replace flares and recharge one fire extinguisher. [Address
                > > myself.]
                > >
                > > I would appreciate your input. I would like to sign acceptance
                > > soonest contingent upon certain items being addressed.

              • gmuller22
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 31, 2006
                  Just a few comments:

                  > 10. Transmission fluid is low. [Top off and monitor.]

                  {I would change the oil. It probably hasn't been changed for some
                  time.}

                  > 14. Replace flares and recharge one fire extinguisher. [Address
                  > myself.]

                  {Buy new fire extinguisher, it's almost as cheap as charging.}

                  I would also check the engine mounts. They failed regularly on this
                  model.

                  Gerard Muller
                • Eric
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 1 5:36 PM
                    Dave does a great job.

                    He may have told you but with respect to #8, the galvanic isolator was
                    not a requirement when the boat was built but ABYC now calls for it
                    and the insurance companies (at least mine) like to see the system is
                    being kept up to date. I bought and installed my own and Dave has
                    surveyed the boat since (insurance update survey) and thought the
                    installation was fine. Get one that has LEDs to indicate status,
                    otherwise you can't tell if it's working.

                    I would ask the seller to work something out with respect to the
                    seacocks - one would expect these to be operational. Same with the
                    navigation lights.

                    Eric
                    Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
                    West River, MD

                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "dabunders" <dabunders@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > small.]
                    >
                    > 10. Transmission fluid is low. [Top off and monitor.]
                    >
                    > 11. Engine should be fitted with a vented elbow prior to the
                    > echaust dump to prevent possible back siphoning. [This was noted in
                    > the prior survey and never addressed. I was aware when I made my
                    > offer. No need to ask seller to address.]
                    >
                    > 12. Temperature gauge not working and audio-visual warning system
                    > is not functioning. Also, crack in oil pressure gauge lens. [Ask
                    > seller to address first two. I knew about the cracked lens when I
                    > made my offer.]
                    >
                    > 13. Tighten steering cables as they are a bit slack. [Address
                    > myself.]
                    >
                    > 14. Replace flares and recharge one fire extinguisher. [Address
                    > myself.]
                    >
                    > I would appreciate your input. I would like to sign acceptance
                    > soonest contingent upon certain items being addressed.

                  • Eric
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 1 5:37 PM
                      If the deck around the chainplates were bad, I think Dave would find
                      it - he found it on mine. He's quite familiar with Sabres.

                      Eric
                      Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
                      West River, MD

                      <doversabre@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > small.]
                      >
                      > 10. Transmission fluid is low. [Top off and monitor.]
                      >
                      > 11. Engine should be fitted with a vented elbow prior to the
                      > echaust dump to prevent possible back siphoning. [This was noted in
                      > the prior survey and never addressed. I was aware when I made my
                      > offer. No need to ask seller to address.]
                      >
                      > 12. Temperature gauge not working and audio-visual warning system
                      > is not functioning. Also, crack in oil pressure gauge lens. [Ask
                      > seller to address first two. I knew about the cracked lens when I
                      > made my offer.]
                      >
                      > 13. Tighten steering cables as they are a bit slack. [Address
                      > myself.]
                      >
                      > 14. Replace flares and recharge one fire extinguisher. [Address
                      > myself.]
                      >
                      > I would appreciate your input. I would like to sign acceptance
                      > soonest contingent upon certain items being addressed.

                      Service.