Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Tuscan Sun heads south!

  • Don Kerrigan
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
      Ian,
          Glad you made it down safely!  Yes, our boat is white with green canvas, green bottom in C21 at Bay Point.  I'm a bit swamped with work today but will try to stop down this evening to say hello.

      Don Kerrigan "Kanaloa's Call" Sabre 34T #385 Bay Point Marina, Norfolk, VA

      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 21, 2007
        So i am back home (though I dont know why) after hauling the boat in
        Titusville, FL.

        Thanks to everyone for their help and input and also thx to Don
        Kerrrigan for stopping by in Little Creek, VA to drink my beer :)

        This was my first ICW trip and some of my assumptions that now seem
        hilarious are...

        1. Pretty much every yard has haulout facilities
        2. IF a yard has haulout, of course you can store a boat there
        3. There are SO many places to anchor
        4. This is such a popular route there are hundred of interesting
        places to see
        5. I will see lots and lots of wildlife
        6. I have a chartplotter..I doubt i will run aground

        Other observations i would make for prospective first timers are
        1. Yes it is possible to do the ICW without a chartplotter, in the
        same way it is POSSIBLE to circumnavigate in a 26ft sailboat....its
        just why would you?
        2. If you have a laptop. take it and get some type of aircard for
        internet access..not least of which is advanced wx info.
        3. If there are two of you. get two pairs of binoculars.
        4. Focussing on a sometimes narrow channel in sometimes uncertain
        depths with soimetimes heavy traffic and sometimes all three for 8hrs
        a day is wickedly tiring...so budget as MUCH time as possible for the
        trip.
        5. If you have time constraints, do offshore legs wherever
        possible.... for example, one overnight offshore leg from
        Wrightsville, NC to Charleston, SC saved 5 days of ICW travel time.

        cheers, ian

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "mystic_camera"
        <mystic_camera@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Just a note that S38 mkII #205 "Tuscan Sun" is heading South with
        an
        > initial destination of some decent marina in the New Smyrna beach
        area
        > of FL (ideas anyone?).
        >
        > I am heading off this w/e..hopefully with a leg direct to Norfolk,
        then
        > the ICW from there..
        >
        > We had a thread on internet access a while back and for comparison
        > have just enabled a sprint aircard for this journey so i will
        report on
        > access and download speeds along the way.. so far so very good as
        > sitting here in Mystic i am clocking 1Mbps download speed...
        >
        > keep a cocktail watch out for me along the way!..
        >
        > cheers, ian

      • Mookiesurfs Comcast
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 21, 2007
          That's a great email Ian, and oh so true.  I have a chartplotter, and never ran aground on that same trip, except for those three times in one morning trying to leave the anchorage in St Augustine.  Oh and that time in N Carolina trying to get around the barge that was hard aground in the middle of the channel.  And that time when I was at the bow and the kids turned on the stereo, which caused a voltage drop that kicked off the autopilot, and the rudder went hard over.  Trying to squeeze into non anchorages for the night does NOT count.  In my defense, the charted depth in St Aug was 12 feet, but the bridge work had reduced it to something lees than four.  I had to motor over to some poor Kiwi drinking his coffee on his boat and ask him the way out.
          Bill B

          <mystic_camera@ ...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > Just a note that S38 mkII #205 "Tuscan Sun" is heading South with
          an
          > initial destination of some decent marina in the New Smyrna beach
          area
          > of FL (ideas anyone?).
          >
          > I am heading off this w/e..hopefully with a leg direct to Norfolk,
          then
          > the ICW from there..
          >
          > We had a thread on internet access a while back and for comparison
          > have just enabled a sprint aircard for this journey so i will
          report on
          > access and download speeds along the way.. so far so very good as
          > sitting here in Mystic i am clocking 1Mbps download speed...
          >
          > keep a cocktail watch out for me along the way!..
          >
          > cheers, ian

        • Don Kerrigan
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 21, 2007
            Ian,
              You're welcome, of course!  If I can help out in the same manner on your trip north, just let me know and I'll be there.  Next time the beer is on me.