Re: [SabreSailboat] MD7a engine shut off mechanism question

  • The Aviation Buff
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
      Very interesting story.

      My slip neighbor said something on the topic yesterday, there is substance for a story in the 'fun' we have when sailing and that is never when things go perfect.

      I replaced my cable about a year ago and ran the route from the stern cockpit hatch to the engine. I have a Universal 18 with the similar fuel cut off.  The cable housing clamp for my engine has a set screw.  If the cable housing will not stay put consider sliding a small piece of 1/4 tubing (rubber would be good) over the housing and up to the mounting point. This should provide the needed extra size for he existing clamp to put pressure on the housing and hold it in place so the cable can move properly inside.

      I may do some adjustments on the throttle cable with my 28 as the engine seems to start much better in the full forward position when cold. After it warms up there is no need to push the throttle further than idle to get the Universal to kick over.

      Thanks for the story..

      F. Adams
      Sabre 28 #260 "Serenity"

      bwilson506 <bwilson506@...> wrote:
      A little overzealous pull (by my son) on the engine shut off handle
      pulled the cable loose from the engine. It is quite a task to get
      this all back and in place which I have managed. However, I can't
      seem to get the cable housing to remain tight against the fitting on
      the engine. As a result when I push the red handle down the cable
      housing backs away from the engine rather than pushing the engine
      shut off mechanism back to the open position.

      By way of a comedic side note. Normally when the switch gets stuck,
      the engine won't start. So when it started at the pump out dock
      yesterday I simply threw off the lines and motored away. Pushing
      the throtle forward the engine only went to slightly above idle.
      The only male thing to do when the throttel won't work a little bit,
      is to push it all the way open. This didn't seem to solve anything
      either. Mumbling under my breath that my son appeared to have
      caused a problem with the throttle too, it took me about five
      minutes to make the connection that the engine was starved for
      fuel. I went down below, leaving my wife at the helm, and pulled
      the shutoff switch into the open position. At this point the engine
      went to full throttle scaring the bejeebers out of my wife.

      My boat has a tiller so I am not sure if it is different from other
      28's. I assume the engine shut off mechanism is the same regardless
      of steering configuration.

      I have two questions.
      1. How do I get the cable housing to seat firmly against the engine
      so the cable will push against the shut off mechanism?
      or
      2. Did I lose a spring that pulls the assmbly back in place, when
      the cable came undone?

      Thanks for any advice.

      Barry Wilson
      Slipstream S28 #400

      Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
        Barry,

        Don't know if this will help, its from the Sabre website:  http://www.sabreyachts.com/pdf/VolvoMD7A.pdf

        My friend's J35 has a little problem with its shift lever, sometimes it won't go into gear sometimes, it won't go out of gear.  As we were heading out for a race on a very blustery 25-30kt evening we were leaving the dock when the throttle/gear shift mechanism started acting up. It ended up lodged in reverse at full throttle. The skipper handed me the tiller and he went below to work on the shift lever. There we were, full astern headed down a dead end fairway, with only one slip open. As we approached the slip at 4 kts in reverse, the skipper got the shift out of reverse and I backed the boat into the slip. He then got it in forward and we blasted out of the slip at full throttle.

        The rest of the evening was quite memorable. 8 to 10+ foot seas with 25+ kts of breeze. It was a long slog to weather (4 miles) but a wild spinnaker ride home!

        Dave

        On Sep 3, 2007, at 10:25 AM, bwilson506 wrote:

[...]

      • Barry Wilson
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
          Dave,
          Thanks for this.  It doesn't look like what I remember, but I find it hard to believe there are multiple configurations on this engine.  I wil take this and investigate.

          BTW, your story is funnier than mine.

          Barry