Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Boat Storage (So of Boston)

  • cbrey@attglobal.net
    Message 1 of 48 , Sep 1, 2007
      Even if it were possible to park Delphine in front of my building on West 79th Street, it would only be a matter of hours before the first spray painted "Yo" appeared on her hull.

      The advantages of winter storage at Barron's Boat Yard in the Bronx are many. There's the toilet, for example. Not only does it flush, and not only does the lightbulb overhead get changed regularly, but on special days there are even soap and paper towels to remind us that we are, after all, not so very different from those posturing Brahmins at the yacht clubs over on the west side of the island.

      Then there's the quotidian lesson in mortality offered next door at the NY City Department of Corrections dock. Once a day you can put down your tools and watch as the ferry to Hart Island pulls out with its cargo of unclaimed dead and a burial detail consisting of prisoners. Depend on New York City to think of a way to combine the moral lesson of the southern chain gang with the striking visual tableau of Böcklin's "Isle of the Dead".

      Plus you get your boat hauled and blocked and stick pulled.

      Carter Brey
      S28 MkII #532 "Delphine"
      City Island, NY

      Message 48 of 48 , Sep 10, 2007
        Barry,
        Since only one person is ever on the computer, Mac or PC, it doesn't really matter.  For example, my Mac, running the latest OS X, is running 47 processes.  My Toshiba notebook, which I hardly ever use since there is no need to aggravate myself, has 45 processes using XP.  I think a little more integration has gone into the Mac  / Mac OS interface since Apple is the source of both,  versus Windows  where MS more or less dictates what will be and the vendors have to deal with it.  There was a rumor that Dell was trying to license Mac OS from Apple; but nothing has come of it yet.  I think Apple is still a little too dependent on MS for Office to compete in the OS environment with them.

        If you have a PC that shares it memory bank for video, you should get as much memory as you can afford.  You will definitely see a major improvement in speed.  Also, removing unused startup processes will also make it boot faster and free up resources which are unnecessarily stealing a clock cycle or two every now and then.

        Greg

        On Sep 10, 2007, at 7:34 AM, Jim Starkey wrote:

        Barry Dwyer wrote:
        The PC for my kids runs XP which as the capability to have separate log-ins, etc for a number of users.  The problem is that it takes up a lot of system resources as it runs duplicate instances of various processes.  This makes the computer slow.  I wonder if the Mac does it more efficiently…