Refrigerator Sump Pump

  • liberty60657
    Message 1 of 43 , Aug 29, 2007
      I'm having difficulty with the refer sump pump on my 38MKI. It has
      what I believe is the original hand pump which is accessed by opening
      the compartment to the right of the engine (facing astern). Last
      week, the pump stopped working. Here's what I can tell...

      - pump functions effectively when I disengage it from the line so no
      problems there.
      - I can blow air through the line exiting the pump into the sink drain
      line.
      - But, I can't blow air from the line entering the pump into the sump.

      I've had all sorts of things in the refer this summer so I'm thinking
      there is a clog in the line. Problem is, it appears darn near
      impossible to access that line as there isn't much room between where
      the line exits the refer compartment and the engine. Right now, the
      insulation is also covering where the hose meets the exit valve.

      I'm about to tear away the insulation this weekend and go at it.
      Before I did that, I figured I'd check here to see what ideas folks
      might have. I might lose all credibility as a boat owner, but would a
      small amount of drain cleaner damage the refer compartment or the
      hoses?

      Thanks!
    • dave dabay
      Message 43 of 43 , Sep 17, 2007
        Jan and the group

        Mother in law still here, no Beneteaus in the future...The cat is still in the plan.  But the reality of a new job, with 75% travel (no where near the water) and a kid who just started college, has us catching up.  We tried getting water and power to our dock, but the local politicians won't hear of it, unless you build the big house, first.  So we moved to a nice marina, but that was a drastic change for us.

        The Sabre has with out a doubt been the best thing we have done this past year and someone will get a wonderful boat.  We were very sad, cleaning her up this weekend, after spending so much time on and out and around.  There is absolutely no comparison between this boat and the others I have owned.  (Beneteau, Cal, Catalina, Pacific Passage, and Marine Trader (Yuck!, at least she sank)).  I would really like to find a 28 or 30, until my son graduates, to feed the Sabre beast.  And then we will see about a cat, maybe.

        We plan on staying around, at least learning and watching the Sabre world.

        dave