Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: MD7A engine issue

    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 2, 2007

      That's what I've been thinking for a couple of years now. Time to move it up on the to do list. Of the reasons you list, the last one is most appealing.

      On Aug 1, 2007, at 3:21 PM, Peter Tollini wrote:

      Dave -
      If you have the Fram with a metal bowl and a bolt on the bottom I would put a Racor 500 on the Christmas list. One, the filter is changed from above, minimizing spillage and mess, and the Racor has water seperator and a bowl that lets you see any water.   Aditionally, you get your choice of 2, 10 or 30 micron filters, which will allow you to weigh in on the semi-annual argument on this list as to which is best.

      On 8/1/07, Dave Lochner <davelochner@mac.com> wrote:

      At the risk of irritating the diesel fuel gods, I have a couple of questions.

      On the MD7A where, if any, is the secondary filter? I know there is a screen in the lift pump, but is there one further downstream? On mine, there is a canister that looks like it could be a fuel filter, it is painted Volvo green with no identifying features. Should I leave well enough alone?

      Second, the primary filter is a Fram. When I picked up a couple of new filters, the instructions identified the filter as a hydraulic fluid filter. Seems odd to me. Also looks like it was original equipment. Any one else have one of these? Should a I put a Racor on the Christmas list?

      So far, no fuel problems.

      On Aug 1, 2007, at 8:46 AM, john kalinowski wrote:

      2 micron will clean that fuel, but it will clog sooner.
      I use the 2 microns.
      The downstream filters are always clean.
      Note the new faucet fuel pumps have a mesh reusable filter and would only stop any debris after that racor filter element was damaged.
      The in-line Westerbeke filter ought to stay nice and clean too.
      But should be replaced at a minimum annually as the glue that binds the element to the cap ends will start to break down from the diesel over long periods of times according to a Westerbeke dealer I talked to.
      Mark:  Clean the tank before you wish to your maker you did.  The crud breaks loose when agitated. Usually that means you are in rough seas when you need that motor the most to maneuver.  It is not that big a deal if you follow the instructions in this conference on a calm day while at the dock or mooring.  I would ! also pull the screen off the intake hose if you have not already done so. Just unscrew the intake fitting and pull up.  Takes less than 3 minutes.

      Grant Woodside <gewoodsiii@yahoo. com> wrote:

      Which is the best filter to use? The Racor 500 has only 10 and 2 micron
      filters available. In our present Racor (model?), we use the red filter
      which I believe is 30 micron. This was recommended by the previous

      We have a Westerbeake 21 which has two additional filters on the
      engine. I believe the idea is to take out finer particles at each
      filter without clogging the first filter.

      BTW, what was the crab waste tonnage?

    • gmetcalf55
      Message 42 of 42 , Aug 2, 2007
        I'll give 'em a try. Also JC Whitney as Dave suggested.

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, jack horner <captbluwater@...>
        > I bought my fuel pump at auto Zone 1 1/2 years ago for like 16.00
        bucks any auto fuel pump will work. mine is 1/2 the size of a pack of
        cigerettes. Try a auto junk yard on line or in person. Good luck with
        the tank..... Jack
        You must have bought a fuel pump awhile ago. I stopped at my local