Racor Filters

    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 1, 2007
      Grant -

      My advice on this contentious subject is to go with the finest filter that doesn't have you constantly changing it.  I have a new tank, so I am using a 2 micron filter.   Probably overkill, but if it doesn't clog, why not?    Prior to the tank change, I was using a 10 and changing it twice a season.
      Once you use up the red, brown or blue filters, make sure you have the Racor spacer to go under the filter before you use the new tan ones. If you need one, I'll stick one in your starboard cockpit coaming pocket.  I think they are packed with the new filter elements now.
      On a Westerbeke, after a filter change turn on the key and let the lift pump run for a couple of minutes.  It will purge the air out and give you a clean, quick startup.  Doesn't work on Yanmars.

      Post crab feast weigh in at the dump was 5780#, weigh out was 5480#.  300# of crab shells and corn cobs and 90 degrees. I'm glad I was in the Explorer with the A/C on and the windows up and that mess was in the trailer downwind.

      Pete
    • jipper74
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 1, 2007
        About a month ago we motored in rough water for several hours and
        clogged our fuel filter. My short term solution is to run with 2
        micronM filters and watch the vacuum pressure gauge that I will attach
        to the top of my racor filter unit. This way you can 'see' the rate
        at which the filter clogs and take corrective action before your
        engine stalls in a narrow channel with a strong cross wind and July
        4th type boat traffic. The filter runs about $150 and just screws
        into the top of the racor filter. The product number is RK11233 and
        can be purchased from a variety of sources. Just goggle RK11233.

        Does anyone out there use this gauge?

        Jason

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Tollini" <pete@...> wrote:

        > Grant -
        >
        > My advice on this contentious subject is to go with the finest
        filter that
        > doesn't have you constantly changing it. I have a new tank, so I am
        using a
        > 2 micron filter. Probably overkill, but if it doesn't clog, why not?
        > Prior to the tank change, I was using a 10 and changing it twice a
        season.
        > Once you use up the red, brown or blue filters, make sure you have
        the Racor
        > spacer to go under the filter before you use the new tan ones. If
        you need
        > one, I'll stick one in your starboard cockpit coaming pocket. I
        think they
        > are packed with the new filter elements now.
        > On a Westerbeke, after a filter change turn on the key and let the
        lift pump
        > run for a couple of minutes. It will purge the air out and give you a
        > clean, quick startup. Doesn't work on Yanmars.
        >
        > Post crab feast weigh in at the dump was 5780#, weigh out was 5480#.
        300#
        > of crab shells and corn cobs and 90 degrees. I'm glad I was in the
        Explorer
        > with the A/C on and the windows up and that mess was in the trailer
        > downwind.
        >
        > Pete

      • Al Lorman
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 1, 2007

          Or you can buy a non-Racor brand vacuum gauge from McMaster Carr for a quarter the price:

          38545K163
          (Same as 38545K16)

          Glycerin-Filled SS-Case Vacuum/Compound Gauge 2-1/2" Dial, 1/4" Bottom Conn, 30" Hg to 0/0-30 PSI

          In stock at $20.23 Each

          Top of Form

          Bottom of Form

          Al Lorman

          About a month ago we motored in rough water for several hours and
          clogged our fuel filter. My short term solution is to run with 2
          micronM filters and watch the vacuum pressure gauge that I will attach
          to the top of my racor filter unit. This way you can 'see' the rate
          at which the filter clogs and take corrective action before your
          engine stalls in a narrow channel with a strong cross wind and July
          4th type boat traffic. The filter runs about $150 and just screws
          into the top of the racor filter. The product number is RK11233 and
          can be purchased from a variety of sources. Just goggle RK11233.

          Does anyone out there use this gauge?

          Jason

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Tollini" <pete@...> wrote:

          > Grant -
          >
          > My advice on this contentious subject is to go with the finest
          filter that
          > doesn't have you constantly changing it. I have a new tank, so I am
          using a
          > 2 micron filter. Probably overkill, but if it doesn't clog, why not?
          > Prior to the tank change, I was using a 10 and changing it twice a
          season.
          > Once you use up the red, brown or blue filters, make sure you have
          the Racor
          > spacer to go under the filter before you use the new tan ones. If
          you need
          > one, I'll stick one in your starboard cockpit coaming pocket. I
          think they
          > are packed with the new filter elements now.
          > On a Westerbeke, after a filter change turn on the key and let the
          lift pump
          > run for a couple of minutes. It will purge the air out and give you a
          > clean, quick startup. Doesn't work on Yanmars.
          >
          > Post crab feast weigh in at the dump was 5780#, weigh out was 5480#.
          300#
          > of crab shells and corn cobs and 90 degrees. I'm glad I was in the
          Explorer
          > with the A/C on and the windows up and that mess was in the trailer
          > downwind.
          >
          > Pete

        • Greg Allen
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 1, 2007
            I just ordered one; but I met someone this winter who relied on it and it seemed to work well on his IP456.

            He told me that a Racor support person said that people change their filters too often and the guage cuts down on the changing of filters.

            A mechanic mentioned to me, just yesterday, that I should drain the bowl whenever I change the filter as residue from the filter can bypass the new filter if the bowl is not drained.

            Food for thought.

            Greg

            On Aug 1, 2007, at 5:35 PM, jipper74 wrote:

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:

            Greg Allen
            781-910-7442

          • Dan Trainor

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 1, 2007

                Dan  -

                Pick up P/N 30548 for the lift pump and P/N 30200 for the injector pump. Actually, pick up two of each and put one pair in your spares box. On the lift pump filter, the bottom twists off, you’ll have to use channel lock pliers.  You’ll see the two pins and the slots in the bottom cap. There’s a small magnet in the cap.  On the injector pump, a ring unscrews and lets a cup drop to get access to the filter element.  The element comes with a new screw ring. Once you look at them, it’s a no-brainer.

                Pete

              • cbrey@attglobal.net
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 1, 2007
                  Dan,

                  When you change the injector pump filter, be very careful to get the new "improved" screw ring seated properly and hand-tight. If it goes on crooked you'll find your bilge awash in diesel #2. Ask me how I know.

                  Also-- if your lift pump is an electronic Facet replacement, it may not have a magnet in the cap.

                  Question for Al: does the vacuum gauge from McMaster fit the Racor 500 out of the box?

                  Thanks,
                  Carter
                  Subj: RE: [SabreSailboat] Re: Racor Filters
                  Date: Wed Aug 1, 2007 11:22 pm
                  Size: 55K
                  To: <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

                  mailto:Sabresailboat-digest@yahoogroups.com

                  mailto:Sabresailboat-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Greg Allen

                  gregallen1@...

                  781-910-7442

                  --
                  Dan
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 2, 2007
                    lift pump filter  cap at bottom is a hex shape that the large wrench in the Sabre took kit fits perfectly. Use the factory channel locks on the ring for the standard filter.

                    And I second that if you have a new faucet pump, the filter is mesh so there is no need to replace it. Just check for crud.

                    Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 2, 2007
                      Peter Tollini wrote:

                      Dan  -

                      Pick up P/N 30548 for the lift pump and P/N 30200 for the injector pump. Actually, pick up two of each and put one pair in your spares box. On the lift pump filter, the bottom twists off, you’ll have to use channel lock pliers.  You’ll see the two pins and the slots in the bottom cap. There’s a small magnet in the cap.  On the injector pump, a ring unscrews and lets a cup drop to get access to the filter element.  The element comes with a new screw ring. Once you look at them, it’s a no-brainer.

                      If your (expletive deleted) mechanic said he put in a Racor spacer, didn't, and you didn't have the native wit to check, you will get lots of experience changing the secondary filter.  Otherwise, I'm told, it almost never needs changing.  Having a mis-rigged primary and a clogged secondary shut down the engine in dense fog and only a tiny breath of air off the southern coast of Mt. Desert is the best form of fun while cruising.  And realizing that a spare four (4) extra Racor spacers were in the last box of stuff taken off the boat before departure adds to the fun.  Oh, well.  Hinckley carries secondaries (30548) but only 30 micron primaries.  And no spacers.  Mine are arriving tomorrow by car.

                      We're sitting on a mooring off the RKYC in the St. John river, New Brunswick.  I regret to report that a Verizon data card works just fine here.
                    • Al Lorman
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 2, 2007

                        Carter:

                        I did not install one, but saved that information from a posting on another board from someone who did (on my “one of these days” to do list).  Looking at the diagram on the McMaster-Carr website, it certainly looks like it would fit right out of the box; the threaded female fitting on the Racor is a standard size; any male fitting of the same size should fit.

                        Al

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 2, 2007
                            Jim

                            The Racor spacer is nothing more than a peice of fuel hose.
                            Not sure of the inside diameter, but if you put a ruler across the opening of filter, that is the size, I woudl hazard a guess of 1/2".

                            The length is ~1".

                            So get the inside diameter and stop by the local auto parts store. For $3 you have a foot of the stuff to experiment to get length right. If they are out, use hydralic hose, just more pricy.  In the snow belt, you know they carry reels of that stuff to repair plow systems.

                            $3 is sure cheaper than hanging around awaiting a package...

                            john

                            Jim Starkey <jas@...> wrote:
                            Peter Tollini wrote:
[...]

                          • Alan Baldwin
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 2, 2007
                              I consider the Racor vacuum gauge an essential piece of equipment, and monitor it underway, especially during rough seas. On my 38 the Racor is inside the engine box, but the gauge can be easily seen by looking through the fire extinguisher hole. I added a push button switch to the engine box light so I can see it easily. The gauge is only useful if you can see it while the engine is working under load. Alan.

                              jipper74 <jason.rife@...> wrote:
                              About a month ago we motored in rough water for several hours and
                              clogged our fuel filter. My short term solution is to run with 2
                              micronM filters and watch the vacuum pressure gauge that I will attach
                              to the top of my racor filter unit. This way you can 'see' the rate
                              at which the filter clogs and take corrective action before your
                              engine stalls in a narrow channel with a strong cross wind and July
                              4th type boat traffic. The filter runs about $150 and just screws
                              into the top of the racor filter. The product number is RK11233 and
                              can be purchased from a variety of sources. Just goggle RK11233.

                              Does anyone out there use this gauge?

                              Jason

                              --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, "Peter Tollini" <pete@...> wrote:

                              > Grant -
                              >
                              > My advice on this contentious subject is to go with the finest
                              filter that
                              > doesn't have you constantly changing it. I have a new tank, so I am
                              using a
                              > 2 micron filter. Probably overkill, but if it doesn't clog, why not?
                              > Prior to the tank change, I was using a 10 and changing it twice a
                              season.
                              > Once you use up the red, brown or blue filters, make sure you have
                              the Racor
                              > spacer to go under the filter before you use the new tan ones. If
                              you need
                              > one, I'll stick one in your starboard cockpit coaming pocket. I
                              think they
                              > are packed with the new filter elements now.
                              > On a Westerbeke, after a filter change turn on the key and let the
                              lift pump
                              > run for a couple of minutes. It will purge the air out and give you a
                              > clean, quick startup. Doesn't work on Yanmars.
                              >
                              > Post crab feast weigh in at the dump was 5780#, weigh out was 5480#.
                              300#
                              > of crab shells and corn cobs and 90 degrees. I'm glad I was in the
                              Explorer
                              > with the A/C on and the windows up and that mess was in the trailer
                              > downwind.
                              >
                              > Pete

                              Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

                            • David Felsenthal
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 2, 2007
                                I think I was told by Racor it was 5/8" ID fuel hose.

                                David

                                john kalinowski wrote:
                                > Jim
                                >
                                > The Racor spacer is nothing more than a peice of fuel hose.
                                > Not sure of the inside diameter, but if you put a ruler across the
                                > opening of filter, that is the size, I woudl hazard a guess of 1/2".
                                >
                                > The length is ~1".
                                >
                                > So get the inside diameter and stop by the local auto parts store. For
                                > $3 you have a foot of the stuff to experiment to get length right. If
                                > they are out, use hydralic hose, just more pricy. In the snow belt, you
                                > know they carry reels of that stuff to repair plow systems.
                                >
                                > $3 is sure cheaper than hanging around awaiting a package...
                                >
                                > john
                                >
                                > */Jim Starkey <jas@...>/* wrote:
                                >
                                > Peter Tollini wrote: !
                                >> Dan -
                                >> Pick up P/N 30548 for the lift pump and P/N 30200 for the injector
                                >> pump. Actually, pick up two of each and put one pair in your
                                >> spares box. On the lift pump filter, the bottom twists off, you’ll
                                >> have to use channel lock pliers. You’ll see the two pins and the
                                >> slots in the bottom cap. There’s a small magnet in the cap. On
                                >> the injector pump, a ring unscrews and lets a cup drop to get
                                >> access to the filter element. The element comes with a new screw
                                >> ring. Once you look at them, it’s a no-brainer.
                                > If your (expletive deleted) mechanic said he put in a Racor spacer,
                                > didn't, and you didn't have the native wit to check, you will get
                                > lots of experience changing the secondary filter. Otherwise, I'm
                                > told, it almost never needs changing. Having a mis-rigged primary
                                > and a clogged secondary shut down the engine in dense fog and only a
                                > tiny breath of air off the southern coast of Mt. Desert is the best
                                > form of fun while cruising. And realizing that a spare four (4)
                                > extra Racor spacers were in the last box of stuff taken off the boat
                                > before departure adds to the fun. Oh, well. Hinckley carries
                                > secondaries (30548) but only 30 micron primaries. And no spacers.
                                > Mine are arriving tomorrow by car.
                                >
                                > We're sitting on a mooring off the RKYC in the St. John river, New
                                > Brunswick. I regret to report that a Verizon data card works just
                                > fine here.

                                > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48253/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC>
                                > mail, news, photos & more.
                              • R. Coerse
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 2, 2007

                                  I have one of the spacers for the 500 Racor in front of me as I type this.  It measures 11/16 inch ID, 1-1/4 inch OD and 5/8 inch long.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 2, 2007
                                    john kalinowski wrote:
                                    > Jim
                                    >
                                    > The Racor spacer is nothing more than a peice of fuel hose.
                                    > Not sure of the inside diameter, but if you put a ruler across the
                                    > opening of filter, that is the size, I woudl hazard a guess of 1/2".
                                    >
                                    > The length is ~1".
                                    >
                                    > So get the inside diameter and stop by the local auto parts store. For
                                    > $3 you have a foot of the stuff to experiment to get length right. If
                                    > they are out, use hydralic hose, just more pricy. In the snow belt,
                                    > you know they carry reels of that stuff to repair plow systems.
                                    >
                                    > $3 is sure cheaper than hanging around awaiting a package...

                                    Outside diameter, 1 1/4 inches. Length, 5/8 inches. Inside diameter,
                                    3/4 of an inch (not significant).

                                    I hadn't noticed until somebody mentioned that new filters come with
                                    spaces that the 30 micron filter I get in South West had one in the
                                    package. I am now a happy camper.
                                  • Barry Dwyer
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 2, 2007

                                      Always keep one handy do you, Dick?

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 2, 2007
                                        Anyone have a water detection sensor on their Racor filter? If so, how's it work?

                                        Dave

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 2, 2007

                                          Carter –

                                          The expense of the Racor gauge isn’t the gauge, but the T-handle that replaces the original and is threaded for the gauge that makes it a 60 second upgrade.  A generic vacuum gauge can be T-d into the line between the lift pump and the filter with the same functional results, just a little more work. It would also give you more freedom in positioning the gauge in an easy to read location.

                                          Pete

[...]

                                          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Sabresailb oat/

                                          Individual Email | Traditional

                                          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Sabresailb oat/join

                                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                                          mailto:Sabresailboat- digest@yahoogrou ps.com

                                          mailto:Sabresailboat- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

                                          http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

                                          Greg Allen

                                          gregallen1@comcast. net

                                          781-910-7442

                                          --
                                          Dan

                                        • Jan Meermans
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Aug 3, 2007
                                            Peter,

                                            I recently replaced one of my Racor vac. gauges and had to pay about
                                            $100 can't remember exactly. I already had the screwed "t-handle" so
                                            that was not in that price. I did not give a thought to buying generic
                                            but should have I guess. By the way, I just tilt the top of our
                                            companionway stairs forward into the cabin and I can then read the
                                            gauge while under way. Takes the guessing out of how dirty tht filter is.

                                            Jan

                                            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Tollini" <pete@...> wrote:

                                            > Carter -
                                            >
                                            > The expense of the Racor gauge isn't the gauge, but the T-handle that
                                            > replaces the original and is threaded for the gauge that makes it a 60
                                            > second upgrade. A generic vacuum gauge can be T-d into the line
                                            between the
                                            > lift pump and the filter with the same functional results, just a little
                                            > more work. It would also give you more freedom in positioning the
                                            gauge in
                                            > an easy to read location.
                                            >
                                            > Pete

                                            Of Dan
                                            > Trainor
                                            > Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 8:22 PM
                                            > To: Sabresailboat@ <mailto:Sabresailboat%40yahoogroups.com>
                                            yahoogroups.com
                                            > Subject: Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Racor Filters
                                            >
                                            > I have a Sabre 32 w/ Westerbeke 21. It has 3 filters. One Racor water
                                            > seperator w/ 2 micron (brown) filter and two small filters downsteam on
                                            > engine. I change Racor filter in Spring. I wish to changethe small
                                            filters
                                            > on engine, as they have not been changed in 2 years and I am going
                                            ona long
                                            > sailing trip. I have not done this before myself - can anyone tell
                                            me how -
                                            > or give me any tips?Or is it a no-brainer task? Please advise.
                                            >

                                            > Dan
                                            >

                                            > On 8/1/07, Greg Allen <gregallen1@comcast.
                                            <mailto:gregallen1%40comcast.net>
> [...]
                                            >
                                            > are packed with the new filter elements now.
                                            >
                                            > On a Westerbeke, after a filter change turn on the key and let the
                                            >
                                            > lift pump
                                            >
                                            > run for a couple of minutes. It will purge the air out and give you a
                                            >
                                            > clean, quick startup. Doesn't work on Yanmars.
                                            >

                                            > Post crab feast weigh in at the dump was 5780#, weigh out was 5480#.
                                            >
                                            > 300#
                                            >
                                            > of crab shells and corn cobs and 90 degrees. I'm glad I was in the
                                            >
                                            > Explorer
                                            >
                                            > with the A/C on and the windows up and that mess was in the trailer
                                            >
                                            > downwind.
                                            >

                                            > Pete

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            > yahoo.com/group/Sabresailboat/
                                            >

                                            > Individual Email | Traditional

                                            > yahoo.com/group/Sabresailboat/join
                                            >
                                            > (Yahoo! ID required)
                                            >

                                            > mailto:Sabresailboat- <mailto:Sabresailboat-digest%40yahoogroups.com>

                                            <mailto:Sabresailboat-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>