Re: MD7A engine issue

  • mt_donahue
    Message 1 of 42 , Jul 31, 2007
      I've got a Racor 500 and still have fuel issues, so upgrading the
      filter may not get you where you want either.

      Mark

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Gib Metcalf <gibmetcalf@...> wrote:

      > My diesel mechanic recommended I skip the polishing and replace my
      Racor
      > 200 series filter with a Racor 500 with a 10 micron filter. He said
      I'd
> [...]
      > > West River, MD
      > >
      > > On 7/31/07, *mt_donahue* <mtdonahue@...
      > > <mailto:mtdonahue@...>> wrote:
      > >
      > > I've been having a similar problem on my mkI 34.
      > >
      > > If there's any real algae/sludge in the tank, replacing the filter
      > > will be a temporary solution at best.
      > >
      > > It's worth noting that if the issue comes up again, that
      you'll need
      > > to run the engine slower, not faster so that the engine isn't
      starved
      > > for fuel.
      > >
      > > Even a moderate amount of wave action can stir up the sediment
      to the
      > > point where the filter gets clogged.
      > >
      > > Mark
      > >

      > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:Sabresailboat%40yahoogroups.com>, Gib Metcalf
      > > <gibmetcalf@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> I was sailing this weekend (dodging lightning storms off Cape
      > > Ann) when
      > >> I developed a problem with my Volvo MD7A engine. I was cruising at
      > >> about 2200 rpms when the engine speed would drop down to 1500 and
      > > then
      > >> surge back to 2000 or 2200. This happened repeatedly and more
      > >> frequently to the point where I had to push the throttle forward to
      > > keep
      > >> it from stalling out.
      > >>
      > >> I anchored and checked the racor and drained out fuel containing
      > > a fine
      > >> black sediment. I drained fuel until it ran pretty much clear. The
      > >> engine then ran fine for about 45 minutes at which point it happened
      > >> again. I anchored for the evening and drained again. More sediment.
      > >> The next day it happened again. I drained it a third time. This last
      > >> time I used a needle to see if I could break up any bigger pieces so
      > >> they could drain out the racor drain petcock. When I restarted the
      > >> engine, it ran for a minute and stalled out. I could not restart.
      > >>
      > >> Any thoughts on what is going on and what I need to do? My fuel
      > > tank is
      > >> half full (I always top off for the winter). Is this likely to be
      > >> clogged filters restricting fuel flow or grit that's gotten to the
      > >> injectors? Do I need to drain the fuel tank? If so, how does one do
      > >> that? All advice welcome.
      > >>
      > >> On a lighter note, I was ahoyed this morning in Gloucester harbor by
      > > the
      > >> ownders of a lovely Tayana 37 who were the previous owners of my
      > > boat.
      > >> Since I'd bought the boat in Chaumont, NY (on Lake Ontario), I
      > > was not
      > >> expecting to see them in NE. They were on their way to Maine. It was
      > >> great to catch up with another Sabre enthusiast (albeit a former
      > > one).
      > >> They were delighted to see their old boat and I was happy to show
      > > her
      > >> off (engine notwithstanding). Small world. (I also think I saw
      > > John K
      > >> heading out yesterday as we were passing Bowditch Ledge.)

    • gmetcalf55
      Message 42 of 42 , Aug 2, 2007
        I'll give 'em a try. Also JC Whitney as Dave suggested.
        Thanks.
        Gib

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, jack horner <captbluwater@...>
        wrote:

        > I bought my fuel pump at auto Zone 1 1/2 years ago for like 16.00
        bucks any auto fuel pump will work. mine is 1/2 the size of a pack of
        cigerettes. Try a auto junk yard on line or in person. Good luck with
        the tank..... Jack

        You must have bought a fuel pump awhile ago. I stopped at my local