Re: [SabreSailboat] refrigeration

  • R. Coerse
    Message 1 of 61 , Jun 28, 2007
      Brooks,

      I currently have three batteries aboard Early Light (a Group 24 cranking battery as well as a house bank comprised of a pair of Trojan T-105  6 volt golf cart batteries in series yielding a total theoretical house bank capacity of  225 amp hours).  My Adler Barbour Cold Machine (air cooled unit) draws 5.1 amps when the compressor is running and in my boat here on the Chesapeake Bay when the ambient high temperature for the day is 95 degrees F, it runs a duty cycle of  approximately 50%.  This amounts to approx. 61 amp hours per 24 hour day.  Given that one should not take the batteries below 50% (112.5 amp hours), and if you know your other battery loads one can easily calculate how long you can go prior to recharging using engine, shore power, wind generator or solar.  On Early Light I do not have solar panels or a wind generator.  I use very little power at anchor other than refrigeration and I monitor the percent of charge on the house bank with the Link 10 Monitor.  I can usually comfortably go 36 hours before having to start the diesel.  I hope this is of some help.

      Dick Coerse
      http://www.geocities.com/earlylight160/
      "Early Light"
      1982 Sabre 34  MK I  #160
      Solomons, MD

      Brooks Wright wrote:
      While slaving away on the rudder, my neighbor in the storage yard got me interested
      in installing refrigeration. I've been looking at Earlylight's installation and thinking it could work for us assuming our ice boxes are the same size. We have a '78 34 MkI. My neighbor
      (Gulfstar 37) and other people I've talked to say that you can put a block of ice in the box and then if
      you run the engine at least 2 hours a day you can keep the ice going for a week. In other
      words, I don't have to run the compressor all the time and drain the batteries. We usually have to motor all the time when cruising (or quite a bit anyway) so running the engine above
      idle twice a day for several hours is no problem. We do it anyway. Is this what other people do who have refrigeration? We only have 2 group 24 house batteries (plus the starting batt.) so I can't keep the compressor running for very long when the engi! ne's not running. Is this what other people on the list do?
      I also wanted to know if Dick thinks a smaller unit would have done just as well or if he'd still
      recommend the same equipment. What have other people on the list installed? Is there a
      less expensive way to go? To buy the two main items that Dick used would cost $1150 from
      Defender today. Haven't priced it elsewhere yet except WM and they won't be getting my business.

      Brooks

      Message 61 of 61 , Aug 29, 2010
        Tom , on my 28  I put in a holding plate 14x12 and the compressor sits on the shelf in the sail locker.A nine inch box with fan. i'm so amazed this does the job and I'm in Florida where summer heat hits 98 most days.I keep mine on 24/7 cokes and beer !  I can get cubes from it if I use the old Adler Barbor cold machine vertical ice cube trays in a net bag hooked to the front of the plate..  I love mine and never regret the cost. We cruise so its a up grade that helps.. When we cruise I throw 30 pounds of ice in the bottom !  Our water in Summer is 91.5 so there is no cool here than.
        I carry a cruise and carry Ac unit and Honda 2k gen. With 3 ATM battery's 1 start 2 house and a great Smart charger.. Lee S-28