Jacklines

  • Rollyn Trueblood
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 16, 2006
      Has anyone installed a Jack Line on your boat to snap safety harnesses upon? What products did you use?

      Best wishes,

      Rollyn Trueblood
      Purser's Office Inc
      (302) 235-2331
      rollyn@...

    • Lorman, Alvin J.
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 16, 2006
        Message
        Sailrite sells nylon webbing for that purpose (I've bought it).

        Al Lorman

        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 16, 2006
          I did the same.  I either bought it from Sailnet or West Marine
          Gib Metcalf
          Troubadour S-28 No 446

          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 16, 2006
            The ORC regs suggest "20kN (2,040 kgf or 4,500 lbf) min breaking strain
            webbing is recommended"

            and:

            "attached to through-bolted or welded deck plates
            or other suitable and strong anchorage fitted on
            deck, port and starboard of the yacht's centre
            line to provide secure attachments for safety
            harness"

            We've got 3 jacklines. 1 in the cockpit, fore and aft, going past the
            pedestal, and 1 each port and starboard from near the bow to near the
            stern pulpit. The port and starboard jacklines lay nicely along the deck
            and cabin top, and present little tripping hazard.

            The ends of the jacklines are attached to pad-eyes that are dedicated to
            that purpose. They are through bolted, and backed up.

            A rigger must have made these to fit. There is a sewn loop, bar-tacked,
            on each end. One end is shackled directly to the pad eye, and the other
            is about 6" short. That end is adjusted by a lashing of many turns of
            smaller line (3/16?) that can be used to tension it.

            This way you can come on deck, clipped in, and move everywhere on the
            boat without ever un-clipping, if you have a double ended tether.

            We've had 8 people on deck during night time rain squall spin sets and
            takedowns, and found it works OK.

            David
            Atlantea, 38 MKII

            Rollyn Trueblood wrote:
            > Has anyone installed a Jack Line on your boat to snap safety harnesses
            > upon? What products did you use?
            >
            > Best wishes,
            >
            > Rollyn Trueblood
            > Purser's Office Inc
            > (302) 235-2331
            > rollyn@... <mailto:rollyn@...>

            David
            Atlantea, Sabre 38 MKII
          • mike.merriman@comcast.net

              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 16, 2006
                When we delivered Kestrel, we had to come up diagonally across Lake Michigan in early spring. I priced jacklines from marine sources and ultimately made my own using webbing purchased from a rock climbing outfitter and carabiners. Been a while and it is up on the boat. I think I bought 1" webbing

                . If you do decide to fabricate your own, folks who do more night sailing than I might want to comment on materials. I think I used a tubular webbing but seem to recall some opinion that tubular was prone to rolling if you step on it. We had no trouble with what I made but I have not needed it since. We did buy commercial tethers from West I think.

                Greg Thompson
                S38 "Kestrel" #42---------- Original Message ----------------------------------
                From: Gib Metcalf <gib@...>
                Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:12:51 -0500

                Signup at www.doteasy.com
              • Mike McKinney
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 16, 2006
                  I used the Wichard Double 35" Jackline from www.landfallnavigation.com  It was $119. It has a clip at the end that snap onto a ring on the bowsprit and bring aft on both sides and tie off at the cleat.  Works okay. I single hand a lot and harness myself. Not sure how I would get back in if I fell over. When I have the wife and child out I make sure the child is harnessed. At the end of the sail I roll it up and put in a cubby.
                  Has anyone installed a Jack Line on your boat to snap safety harnesses upon? What products did you use?

                  Best wishes,

                  Rollyn Trueblood
                  Purser's Office Inc
                  (302) 235-2331
                  rollyn@...

                • followingsea2001
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 16, 2006
                    We bought the ones they carry at West. they are yellow and have
                    eves at both ends and comee in a blue storage bag. They have been
                    good so far.

                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, mike.merriman@c... wrote:

                    > Also being a climber I figured I could use tublular webbing from
                    my climbing bin. I selected bright orange and secured (on my old
                    Galaxy32) to the bow cleat with a fixed loop in the middle of the
                    webbing, and secured each end to padeyes mounted on the stern with a
                    water knot (look it up - its perfect for webbing). Eventually I
                    added a beefy shackle there so I could leave the knot while easily
                    removing the jacklines. One major problem with climbing webbing is
                    its lack of colorfastness. Exposure to salt water left my deck
                    streaked with pink. I therefore bought new webbing jacklines from
                    sailnet.

                    > From: Gib Metcalf <gib@m...>
                    > I did the same. I either bought it from Sailnet or West Marine
                    > Gib Metcalf
                    > Troubadour S-28 No 446
                    >
                    > Lorman, Alvin J. wrote:
                    > Sailrite sells nylon webbing for that purpose (I've bought it).
                    >
                    > Al Lorman

                    Service.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 17, 2006
                      Does anyone know of a replacement forward hatch for a
                      Sabre 28' .? I think I saw a photo posted by one of
                      you with an aluminum frame hatch ! Do you know what
                      make the hatch is. Thanks

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • 195162@optonline.net
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 17, 2006

                        Glen at Sabre Yachts told me they still have the mold for the S-28. It is $400.

                        Mike

                        S-28 Hull 365

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 17, 2006
                          I have a forward hatch , and was wanting to update
                          it. I think I saw a Aluimumn cast hatch in one of
                          the sites many photos of a S 28. looking for a updated
                          look and more light. Thanks

                          ---------------------------------

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 17, 2006
                            The S30 Mk1& II had a curved aluminum framed hatch that fit the rounded cabin top.  I beleive the S28s all had the fiberglass hatch, even the S28 Mk III in the brochure did.  The question is, will an S30 hatch fit a 28, and where would you get one if it would?
                            Sounds like a Glen question.
                            Pete

                            On 1/17/06, jack horner <captbluwater@...

                            ---------------------------------

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 18, 2006
                              Peter, When I last e mailed Glen I had used his
                              personal e-mail, And was asked to never do that again.
                              So I erased it ! I did send a note via the list
                              manager/Sabre and got no reply. Can you tell the
                              correct glen e-mail address and i will ask him the
                              S-30 hatch question. Thanks

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • Carter Brey
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 18, 2006
                                Jack,

                                The business email address to use for Glen Chaplin at Sabre Yachts is:

                                gchaplin@...

                                If it's your first time using it, you'll probably receive an automated
                                reply from their anti-spam software ("Spam Lion") asking you to respond,
                                confirming that you are not selling male performance enhancement drugs
                                or whatever. Once you confirm, you'll get a prompt reply from Glen.

                                Best regards,
                                Carter

                                P.S. I'm not sure what they do if you are an avid sailor who happens to
                                sell male performance enhancement drugs for a living. Better to lie and
                                tell them you're something legitimate, like a member of Congress. No,
                                wait...

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 18, 2006

                                  Jack-

                                  Try gchaplin@....

                                  Pete

                                  --- Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

                                  > The S30 Mk1& II had a curved aluminum framed hatch
                                  > that fit the rounded
                                  > cabin top.  I beleive the S28s all had the
                                  > fiberglass hatch, even the S28 Mk
                                  > III in the brochure did.  The question is, will an
                                  > S30 hatch fit a 28, and
                                  > where would you get one if it would?
                                  > Sounds like a Glen question.
                                  > Pete
                                  >

                                  > On 1/17/06, jack horner <captbluwater@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I have a forward hatch ,  and was wanting to
                                  > update
                                  > > it.   I think I saw a Aluimumn cast hatch in one
                                  > of
                                  > > the sites many photos of a S 28. looking for a
                                  > updated
                                  > > look and more light.   Thanks
                                  > >
                                  > > --- 195162@... wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > > Glen at Sabre Yachts told me they still have the
                                  > > > mold for the S-28. It is $400.
                                  > > > Mike
                                  > > > S-28 Hull 365
                                  > > >
                                  > > ---------------------------------
                                  > >
                                  > > Glen at Sabre Yachts told me they still have the
                                  > mold
                                  > > for the S-28. It is $400.
                                  > >
                                  > > Mike
                                  > >
                                  > > S-28 Hull 365
                                  > > > Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 03:42:15 -0800 (PST)
                                  > > > From: jack horner < captbluwater@...>
                                  > > > Subject: [SabreSailboat] Re: Forward hatch
                                  > > > To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
                                  > > >

                                  > > ---------------------------------
                                  > > Does anyone know of a replacement forward hatch
                                  > for a
                                  > > Sabre 28' .?  I think I saw a photo posted by one
                                  > of
                                  > > you with an aluminum frame hatch !  Do you know
                                  > what
                                  > > make the hatch is. Thanks
                                  > >
                                  > > --- Rollyn Trueblood <rollyn@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > > Has anyone installed a Jack Line on your boat to
                                  > > > snap safety harnesses upon? What products did
                                  > you
                                  > > > use?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Best wishes,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Rollyn Trueblood
                                  > > > Purser's Office Inc
                                  > > > (302) 235-2331
                                  > > > rollyn@...

                                  > >    on the web.
                                  > >
                                  > >    -  To unsubscribe from this group, send an
                                  > email to:

                                  > >    -  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                                  > Yahoo! Terms of
                                  > >    Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                                • GREGORY THOMPSON
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 18, 2006
                                    On the other hand, if your selling sail performance enhancing
                                    drugs......

                                    >>> cbrey@... 1/18/2006 6:15 AM >>>

                                    jack horner wrote:

                                    >Peter, When I last e mailed Glen I had used his
                                    >personal e-mail, And was asked to never do that again.
                                    >So I erased it ! I did send a note via the list
                                    >manager/Sabre and got no reply. Can you tell the
                                    >correct glen e-mail address and i will ask him the
                                    >S-30 hatch question. Thanks

                                    Boating sailing Sailing Sabre Boating

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 30 11:44 AM
                                      My S28 lost her forward curved fiberglass (vee berth) hatch during the windstorm here over the last couple of days. Although I was not fond of this hatch (because the friction dog would often come loose of its own accord, which is obviously what happened), I would have preferred a more controlled method of removal.

                                      Anyway... moving on... I'd be interested in hearing from any 28 owners who've replaced this hatch (Jack Horner, didn't you post something along these lines some months back?).

                                      In addition, I could use Glen Chapin's email at Sabre. I'm on my way to Japan for a couple of weeks and don't have his contact info on my Treo.

                                      Many thanks,
                                      Carter Brey
                                      S28 MK II #532 "Delphine"
                                      City Island, NY
                                      (a couple of lbs of fiberglass and cheap Perko hardware lighter)
                                    • Carter Brey
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 30 1:31 PM
                                        I found Glen's email address.

                                        CB

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Oct 30 3:05 PM
                                          Carter, Do to the cost of a custom convex hatch I have
                                          kept my old one. I do plan to cut the center out and
                                          install curved lexan in the center. $200 they said. We
                                          shall see. If I was going to pay Sabre for a new one I
                                          would maybe consider a better hatch. Jack Horner

                                          (http://www.yahoo.com/preview)
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Oct 30 8:10 PM

                                            Carter –

                                            A good winter project could be building a teak frame, laminating the curved sections with teak and epoxy, then adding a curved, tinted Lexan window.  It would be functional, durable and very pretty.

                                            Speaking of very pretty, we saw the Morris 42 in our yard for minor repairs after the Annapolis show. It had a modernized version of a traditional skylight – teak, with stainless opening hatches on either side.  Those guys at Morris can do some serious varnish work.

                                            Pete

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Oct 31 6:30 AM
                                              Pete:

                                              Is that a 42 on 200 dock? I thought it was a 36 . . . ah well,
                                              Millers never could measure worth a darn . . .

                                              None of the pictures I posted show that skylight but it is a beautiful
                                              piece of work. If it's still there this weekend, I'll try and get a
                                              shot that shows that skylight.

                                              Eric
                                              Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
                                              West River, MD

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Oct 31 7:55 AM
                                                It is indeed.  Cindy was transfixed.  It is one beautiful boat.  I just disowned all the comments about why someone would buy an expensive daysailer.
                                                Pete

                                              • sid wax
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
                                                  Carter:

                                                  Looks like we find ouselves in similar boats (no pun intended), as I
                                                  lost my forward hatch the very same week (possibly the same storm,
                                                  here in Newport). I had been planning on just getting the
                                                  replacement from Sabre, but if you come up with a better plan, let me
                                                  know. Or maybe they could make up 2 at the same time at a discount
                                                  price.

                                                  Sid Wax
                                                  Passing Fancy
                                                  Sabre 28 MKII # 319

                                                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Carter Brey" <cbrey@...> wrote:

                                                  > My S28 lost her forward curved fiberglass (vee berth) hatch during
                                                  the windstorm here over the last couple of days. Although I was not
                                                  fond of this hatch (because the friction dog would often come loose
                                                  of its own accord, which is obviously what happened), I would have
                                                  preferred a more controlled method of removal.

                                                  > Anyway... moving on... I'd be interested in hearing from any 28
                                                  owners who've replaced this hatch (Jack Horner, didn't you post
                                                  something along these lines some months back?).

                                                  > In addition, I could use Glen Chapin's email at Sabre. I'm on my
                                                  way to Japan for a couple of weeks and don't have his contact info on
                                                  my Treo.

                                                  > Many thanks,
                                                  > Carter Brey
                                                  > S28 MK II #532 "Delphine"
                                                  > City Island, NY
                                                  > (a couple of lbs of fiberglass and cheap Perko hardware lighter)

                                                • ljlandis55
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , May 5, 2015
                                                    I am clear about the need for backlines on my 1983 Sabre 34 Mk 1. I sail alone some of the time (and know that if I go overboard I am probably dead anyway), but was raised by sailors and crewed for sailors who insisted on clipping in.
                                                    My boat seems to have a dearth of jackline attachment points. This is compounded by the shrouds on the side decks and the dodger.
                                                    Am wondering if others are running jacklines and where they attach them - especially aft towards and forward of the cockpit.
                                                    In a previous post I asked about the eyebolt on my foredeck. Is this a common feature on Sabres? Is it strong enough for a jackline?
                                                  • walkabout193
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , May 5, 2015
                                                      Best option is to run the backlines, starboard and port, from your bow cleat to your stern cleat. Don't know about your foredeck eyebolt but certainly your cleats will be more than strong enough.

                                                      Len Bertaux
                                                      Walkabout
                                                    • Alan Pressman
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , May 5, 2015
                                                        On my S 34 I run webbed jacklines with eyes sewn in at each end to the bow and stern cleats both port and starboard.  I can stay clipped in from either side while in the cockpit.  I run the eyes through both cleats, and then tie them to the cleat (belt and suspenders) with the few extra inches of webbing each end.

                                                        I think the last time I used them crossing the gulf stream to the Bahamas I ran them outside the shrouds, but I'm getting old and can't actually be sure I am remembering correctly.

                                                        The (two) U bolts at the bow, forward of the anchor locker and aft of the stem are a mystery to me too.  I use them to lock my spade anchor with a small wire cable and padlock since Windswept lives on a mooring and all my years in NY have made me wary of thieves.  These U bolts are not adequately backed and I would not think they are suitable for spinnaker gear.  I run my spinnaker gear from just aft of the roller furling drum on a stemhead fitting with snap shackle which is anchored the same as the forestay fitting.  I know (Jay Flynn), I should be running the gear outside the forestay, but with the high foot of the sail (on adjustable line with block and tackle controlled from the helm) and given my spin halyard is below the forestay masthead fitting and inside the foretriangle, this seems the best arrangement.

                                                        Alan
                                                        Windswept S 33/34
                                                        Sarasota

                                                        ---
                                                        Alan Pressman
                                                        Phone; 941-350-1559

                                                        On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 8:25 AM, lbertaux@... [Sabresailboat] <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                                        Best option is to run the backlines, starboard and port, from your bow cleat to your stern cleat. Don't know about your foredeck eyebolt but certainly your cleats will be more than strong enough.

                                                        Len Bertaux
                                                        Walkabout

                                                      • josrulz_2001
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , May 5, 2015
                                                          Hi ljlandis55,
                                                          We have the essentially the same boat, a 1984 Sabre 34 Mk I, #207.  As others mentioned I believe, we ran jacklines from the stern cleats on each side of the cockpit coaming to the two bow cleats that are on each side of the anchor locker (or thereabouts).  We did not run them to the single boat cleat on centerline farther forward, because with a tether we could get anywhere on the boat rigged as I described.

                                                          We ran them inboard of the shrouds, so we could travel fore and aft inside the shrouds and easily get to the mast.

                                                          I believe we bought the 30' set of yellow jacklines from West Marine.  Measure first, but I'm pretty sure you don't need the 40' set to get between those cleats.  http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--polyester-webbing-jacklines--P008_241_004_501

                                                           I hope that helps!
                                                          -Jim
                                                          1984 Sabre 34, #207