Re: [SabreSailboat] tech help

  • David Felsenthal
    Message 1 of 63 , Jun 2, 2007
      I second Jim's suggestion about booting the computer with the USB to
      Serial Adapter unplugged from the computer. Then plug the adapter in.
      Wether or not the GPS is plugged in is less important, I think.

      I've used the Keyspan USA19HS with success on a variety of machines. It
      isn't cheap though, but it seems to have robust drivers for Macs and
      PCs. Your adapter is probably just fine though.

      David

      jay4868@... wrote:
      > Need some computer help. I bought the latest update to the Nobletec navigation software and it required a more powerful laptop than my present one. With new laptop in hand I now find that the connection to my Garmin GPS need a serial port however my new laptop has only USB ports. (yes I know I should have checked before buying the laptop) I thought a simple adapter would solve my problem so I bought a serial to USB adapter. Well after spending nearly the price of a new set of sails the dam thing still wont talk to my GPS. Occasionally I can get it to work by plugging the USB adapter into the laptop only after it is booted up however this only works some time. Most times the laptop gets the "dancing mouse" condition in which the mouse arrow moves all over the screen in uncomanded motion and I still don't get any GPS signal.
      > Has anyone else found a solution to this problem or is anyone in the market for a slightly used laptop.
      >
      > Back to paper charts
      >
      > Joe M
      > Ceapach S38M1

    • John Coffey
      Message 63 of 63 , Jun 7, 2007
        Jim, interesting points but ....if you burn a cd of iTunes songs, you can play them on other devices. Besides DRM will be a thing of the past thanks to Mr Jobs and EMI.
        JC

        Jim Starkey <jas@...> wrote:
        Richard Peirce wrote:
        > Yeah, you're like the 'PC Guy' from the TV spots. While
        > you're compiling C++ on your windows laptop, the 'Mac Guy' is listing
        > to iTunes at the helm. ;)

        Let's temporarily put aside the idea that ridiculing someone's physical
        appearance is a rather disgusting way to peddle technology. You are
        aware, I hope, that Apple's much vaunted operating system (FreeBSD) was
        written by the geeks they ridicule because Apple's original operating
        system failed? And that they chose FreeBSD not because of its
        technical merits but because Linux would have required that they license
        their drawing patents that prevent other companies from competing with
        their hardware monopoly?

        Apple is a nasty company that seeks monopoly positions with a
        combination of patents, restrictive licensing, and rigid digital rights
        enforcement. They take freely from the open source world and give
        nothing back.

        Tell me, have you ever tried to play an iTune on competing hardware?
        Does that bother you? If so, you might want to follow the legal
        wrangles of Apple versus Europe on monopolistic licensing.

        --
        James Starkey, Senior Software Architect
        MySQL Inc., Manchester, MA, USA, www.mysql.com

        Jimmy CraicHead TV Video Podcast about Sailing, Travel, Cocktails and other good Craic! http://www.jchtv.com/

        Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.