Hello First Post from RW

  • sabre28.shaba
    Message 1 of 5 , May 26, 2007
      Hello Sabre owners,

      I am the owner of a Sabre 1975 Mk1 "Shaba",
      which I keep in Whitehall Marina near Annapolis.
      I have two questions that I need help
      with, if I am to get my wife on the boat.
      The first is sun protection. I read the post about
      Jack Horner having a well thought out bimini arrangement,
      but I can't find the pictures people refer to.

      I would also be interested if there was a stock dimension for
      Taylor type bimini that fits, and allows sailing ( end boom sheeting)

      The second question has to do with finding a tillerhead fitting.
      I am thinking of converting the boat back to a tiller.
      The boat was designed for a tiller (old deck style).
      the tiller post was not cut off flush with the deck.
      The diameter of the post is 1 and 29 /32seconds of an inch.
      I talked to Sabre, and they said they didn't have a clue.
      I have searched the web, and found nothing.
      If someone had a used one I would be interested.

      Thanks in advnce for your help.

      Richard Weills
      Sabre 28 SN 190 "Shaba"
      Message 2 of 5 , May 26, 2007
        Richard, this is Jack Horner/ Sandpiper Sabre 28 1981.
        I have pix of dodger and both biminis here are some
        please let me know if you need more photos I'l take
        what ever you want and send them to you . Jack
        Horner FLA
        --- "sabre28.shaba" <sabre28.shaba@...> wrote:

        > Hello Sabre owners,
        >
        > I am the owner of a Sabre 1975 Mk1 "Shaba",
        > which I keep in Whitehall Marina near Annapolis.
        > I have two questions that I need help
        > with, if I am to get my wife on the boat.
        > The first is sun protection. I read the post about
        > Jack Horner having a well thought out bimini
        > arrangement,
        > but I can't find the pictures people refer to.
        >
        > I would also be interested if there was a stock
        > dimension for
        > Taylor type bimini that fits, and allows sailing (
        > end boom sheeting)
        >
        > The second question has to do with finding a
        > tillerhead fitting.
        > I am thinking of converting the boat back to a
        > tiller.
        > The boat was designed for a tiller (old deck style).
        > the tiller post was not cut off flush with the deck.
        > The diameter of the post is 1 and 29 /32seconds of
        > an inch.
        > I talked to Sabre, and they said they didn't have a
        > clue.
        > I have searched the web, and found nothing.
        > If someone had a used one I would be interested.
        >
        > Thanks in advnce for your help.
        >
        > Richard Weills
        > Sabre 28 SN 190 "Shaba"

        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
      • dabunders
        Message 3 of 5 , May 28, 2007
          Richard,

          Glad you found your way to the list -

          See you at WH -

          Jay

          Georgia Yale
          1981 Sabre 28
        • Barry Wilson
          Message 4 of 5 , May 28, 2007
            Richard,
            There are a dozen reasons why one might want to convert from one steering system to another and I wouldn't presume to tell you which is correct.  I have a tiller and have contemplated a wheel.  I love a tiller.  However, I have discovered that the tiller in the Sabre cuts a wide swath.  With four people in the cockpit, especially a few non sailor guests, the tiller is always in someones way.

            If you would like to test drive a tiller Sabre, I live in Severna Park and would be more than happy to have you along for a test drive.

            Barry Wilson
            Slipstream S28 #400

[...]

            Looking for earth-friendly autos?

          • dabunders
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3 5:00 PM
              Richard,

              Take a look at the one I have on Georgia Yale at Whitehall - works well
              for us...don't have much in the eay of details except that I think that
              the previous owner had Glen Housley (Sail Loft ocer at Bert Jabins) put
              it together and I know that Glen still has the drawings, etc. Anyway,
              something similar ough to work for you and could probably be put
              together without too much trouble, etc.

              On another note - I was down there today and another Sabre 28 is
              between you and Shaba - Soliton out of Wellesville PA. To stay? She
              is on Yachtworld as for sale. That makes four Sabre 28's at Whitehall
              and at least one or two more that are on the hard there for the
              winter. Sounds like we ought to all get together.

              Jay