569Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Killing the smell

  • Peggie Hall
    Dec 1, 2005
      gmuller22 wrote:
      > That wasn't my reading. The MSDS talks about the effects of the
      > product, which is known, not the effects of what's in the bilge,
      > which is not known. I think when they refer to spill they mean the
      > spill of the product, not what it's being poured into.
      > ... but I think few have ever felt the need to wear a full
      > face shield and respirator when cleaning their bilge.

      In a society where nuisance personal injury lawsuits have made it
      necessary to mark the tool shelf on a ladder "not a step,", and boat
      builders have to put a placard on a swim platform warning against "teak
      surfing" because some of them have been sued for "failure to warn,"
      mfrs now include extreme safety precautions against even the most remote
      possibilities they can think of. I've even seen warnings on milk jugs
      that it shouldn't be consumed by those who are lactose intolerant!

      Pull up the MSDS on ANY product...you'll see warnings that'll scare the
      bejabbers out of you...here's the one for SeaLand's "environmentally
      friendly (?)" holding tank product. The MSDS for Odorlos isn't on their
      website, but I have a copy of it, and also the one for Raritan K.O.
      (which my own company developed...I sold the product line to Raritan in
      1999) I can attach to an email if you want read it.

      But what it comes down to is, if you don't feel that a product is safe
      to use without excessive precaution, don't use it.

      --
      Peggie