568Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Killing the smell

    Dec 1, 2005
      There was an article a few years back about the discovery of polyestermites.  It created a minor wave of panic.  I believe it was in the April issue of one of the sailing mags. We should hold off on announcing the bacterial mutation until next April.
      Pete

      On 12/1/05, Jim Starkey <jas@...> wrote:
      Peter Tollini wrote:

      > The beauty of the bacterial approach to hydrocarbons in the bilge is
      > that over a reasonably short time, they break down the diesel, lube
      > oil, etc. into water and CO2, before they leave the boat, rather than
      > just emulsifying them like a traditional detergent.  Absent the
      > hydrocarbons, there's no real need for the bugs.

      If you run out of things to worry about before spring, ponder the number
      of mutations required for a diesel eating microbe to transmogrify into a
      polyester eating one.

      --

      Jim Starkey
      Netfrastructure, Inc.