4933Re: [SabreSailboat] More Electrical

    Aug 2, 2006
      Most ammeters don't carry the full load.  They use a shunt for that and register from a suprisingly low current.  This makes them susceptible to loose or dirty connections. That's what I would checkfirst.

      On 8/1/06, David Lochner <davelochner@...> wrote:

      My amp meter never shows that it is charging the battery. When starting it will drop to -30 or -40 amps but then returns to 0. I carry an inexpensive (less than $20) sears digital voltmeter. When I checked the voltage at the breaker panel it was about 13.6 volts, so I know the battery is getting charged.

      Identity Crisis

      S30 #52

      Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

      On Aug 1, 2006, at 5:36 PM, Bob Burns wrote:

      Today on the boat I again noticed that the amp meter seems to be randomly jumping around. The batteries are well charged but for some reason the amp meter will suddenly jump to 40 amps, stay there for a while and then jump back to what seems to be the right spot on the dial. The engine is a Volvo MD7A and this caught my attention a few weeks ago, then seemed to go away. Any ideas as to what can cause this? My guess is the regulator but I don't even know where it is!

      By the way, on a related electrical issue, my ST 4000 autopilot was giving me a 'no data' message and the compass heading was stuck at 158 degrees. My immediate fear was that the electromagnetic compass had joined the parrot in the Monty Python skit and had ceased to exist. My first solution of rapping the compass with a screwdriver handle got it to change heading but now it was suck on 330 degrees; not exactly progress. Next day I removed the control head and removed all the wires, sprayed each connection with some contact cleaner and reattached all of the wires. Fixed! I guess the moral of the story is to never underestimate the simplest solution.

      Any help with the jumpy alternator will be appreciated.