48163Re: [SabreSailboat] Boom Vang

  • jsts
    Jun 8, 2014
      Check out the rigid vangs made by Garhuarer.  I am very pleased with mine, and it did not break the bank.

      John
      S34 MKII

      On Sat, Jun 07, 2014 at 06:31 PM, Yuriy ymatsegora@... [Sabresailboat] wrote:

      Thank you for the suggestions.

      On Jun 7, 2014, at 3:10 PM, "James Starkey jim@... [Sabresailboat]" <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I wouldn't bother with a soft vang.  For a hard vang, there's no choice.  There's much to be said for a hard vang, but neither essential or inexpensive are among them.

      The best of all worlds is a Quickvang installed by the previous owner.

      On Saturday, June 7, 2014, Yuriy ymatsegora@... [Sabresailboat] <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Thanks, Jim. That was my question. If I can attach the vang to the stanchion base while going downwind to use as preventer and keep boom from rocking in choppy weather, should I bother installing the mast bail for the vang at all?

      On Jun 7, 2014, at 1:56 PM, "Jim Starkey jim@... [Sabresailboat]" <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Do not use the vang when it's attached to the mast ring.  A vang carries incredibly heavy loads, and the mast right is soft cast aluminum.

      Take a look at boats with a Hall Quickvang installed.   The mast fitting is heavy forged aluminum forging secured by eight heavy screws.  Still, we managed to break it a couple of years ago.

      Part of the problem is the strength of the fitting, the other is the geometry of vang.  Taking the vang to a stanchion base solves both problems.

      On 6/6/2014 8:52 PM, Yuriy ymatsegora@... [Sabresailboat] wrote:

      Hello all,
      My S30 came without boom vang. This is my first boat and I'm still learning. I understand the purpose of the boom vang and was thinking it would be helpful in certain situation to have one. I've read in the S30 manual that Sabre was supplying boom vang as an option to be used as a preventer and to control boom hight by attaching it to the bail on the boom and to a stanchion base or an attachment on the toerail while going off wind. My question, is it worth to install a bail and have the soft vang attached to the mast base, or just use the vang the way Sabre recommended? If not running, boom can be lowered by mainsheet anyway.

    • Show all 56 messages in this topic