45852Re: [SabreSailboat] BVI

    Dec 27, 2013
      Boats that start a charter in the USVI almost always clear into the BVIs.  It used to be minimal hassle, particularly since the same 100 boats do it every week.  We've usually chartered on St Thomas.  The Moorings, however, have excellent service but really ugly boats.

      On Dec 27, 2013, at 7:05 AM, Dave Sabo <davesabo@...> wrote:

      Are you saying no problem sailing the BVI and USVI or Just BVI

      On Thursday, December 26, 2013 1:54 PM, Henry Hey <henryhey@...> wrote:
      HI Dave,

      Your subject says BVI but then your message speaks about USVI.  I haven't chartered in USVI, but have done so many times in the BVI.   You may know that the Moorings and Sunsail are now one company.   They also have a sub company called Footloose that charters 'older' (5-7 year old) boats that have finished their run in the Moorings fleet.    If you are in deed speaking about chartering in the BVI I can tell you that it's very easy sailing.  Many of the locations have moorings available.   You can easily travel through the islands and not have to anchor at all, as everything is very clearly laid out for you.  The conditions are accommodating for cruising and much of the sailing can almost be done line of sight.    If I were you, I would have too much trepidation about just jumping in and doing it there.    My 2 cents.

      Henry Hey - NYC

      On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Dave Sabo <davesabo@...> wrote:
      I would like to go down to the BVI St Thomas / St Johns in May 2014

      I would like to charter a sailboat with a captain for a day or 2
      Then maybe take it out myself for a day or 2

      I have sailed Lake Erie for years but have limited anchoring experience.
      I would be more comfortable for some one to come along at first

      Can anyone recommend a charter company
      I have sailed 27-29 ft boats for years

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic