45597Re: [SabreSailboat] RE: Garboard Drain

  • Charles Sidwa
    Nov 25, 2013
      Best piece of mind improvement I've done on my boat, oh and I'd guess less then $50 too. I got the hole drilled in the fall, put a light glaze of epoxy on the raw fiberglass and finished the project in the spring.  Charlie

      Sent from my iPad

      On Nov 24, 2013, at 9:37 PM, "Jim Starkey" <jim@...> wrote:

      In all likelihood, the off the shelf garboard drain fittings were probably designed for wooden boats and never rethought for fiberglass.  There are probably a dozen simple and secure ways to rig an effective drain.  It isn't necessary to drain the last 1/16 of an inch and the diameter of the hole really doesn't matter.  As long as a) it doesn't fall out when the boat is in the water and b) it can handle at least the average cover leakage, it will work just fine.

      On Nov 24, 2013, at 7:36 PM, <rayjanine@...> wrote:

      Thanks Richard and others for all your help.  I will contact Sabre and if the hull thickness is no more than 3/4" I will most likely go with the Groco TD750.  Since the slope of the hole is slightly downward I might be able to get as close as 1" from the bottom and still be able to turn the key handle to remove the plug for draining and also tighten the nut that secures the threaded pipe during installation.

      Kind regards,

      Ray

      ---In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, <rcoerse@...> wrote:

      The thickness of the side of the keel stub where the drain is installed is approximately 7/8 inch on my boat.   I drilled the hole perpendicular with the outside surface of the keel stub, so the hole slopes very slightly downward from the inside to the outside of the stub.  The outside surface of the flange is very close to flush (see the seventh image on this page of my website:    http://www.earlylight160.net76.net/InstallGarboardDrain.html) with the outside surface of the hull and required minimal fairing.  this is an easy project prroviding you take your time.  Good luck.

      rayjanine@... wrote:

      Hi Richard:

      Thank you for the info.  When you drilled horizontally at the bottom of the sump, how thick was the hull?  The thru hull I am considering has a threaded portion that is only 1.5" long.

      If I go with your drain, is the hole drilled horizontally or is it slightly angled down from the inside so that the flange of the drain on the outside is perfectly flat with the hull? If angled, can you please estimate the angle.  I ask this since the drain I am considering will need to be fairly parallel between the inside and outside or else I will need to go with your drain design.  Do  you have a picture of the outside of your hull so I can see how close it was to the joint line between the lead keel and the fiberglass stub?

      Thanks again Richard.

      Ray

      ---In sabresailboat@yahoogroup! s.com, <rcoerse@...> wrote:

      The bottom of the keel sump on my boat is solid fiberglass approximately 3 inches thick.  My drain is at the very bottom of the sump so it allows TOTAL drainage when on the hard.  The inside and outside surfaces are not perfectly parallel.  I have no knoledge of the keel sump on a 362, so I hesitate to give you any advice.  Maybe a call to Glen Chaplin at Sabre would be helpful.

      rayjanine@... wrote:

      Hi Richard:

      I looked at some drawings of my boat (Sabre 362) where the lead keel meets the fiberglass.  It looks from your sketch that if I was to install the garboard drain like your sketch, I would possibly be hitting the lead portion of the keel.  I know from the photos you showed it was just fiberglass.   How much is your drain above the bottom of the keel sump? Was the hole mounting plane parallel from the outside of the hull and the inside?  I ask this since I am thinking of installing a smaller plug (3/4") and using a flange on the outside of the hull very similar to the other thru hull flanges on our boats.  The part number I am thinking about is made by Grocco TD750.  The hole thru the hull is only 1" and the opening and closing of the drain is from the inside of the boat so that the threads and opening fitting are not in salt water to corrode.  This type of drain al! so has a nut to secure the thru hull like other thru hulls have.  Would this type of drain work on our boats?  I know that the lowest I would be able to get to the bottom of the sump may be 2 inches based on being able to turn the handle at the top of the TD750 but that is fine for winter layup.

      Regards,

      Ray

      ---In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, <rcoerse@...> wrote:

      Bruce,

      I installed one in my S34 MK I (hull #60) and it is documented here:  http://www.earlylight160.net76.net/InstallGarboardDrain.html

      A word of caution....Many of the units on the market have a bronze body, but the plug itself is brass.  I found a unit that is totally bronze manufactured by Buck Algonquin and stocked by Hamilton Marine.  It is a top quality unit.

      Hope this is helpful.

      Dick

      brucep2100@... wrote:

      I searched the archives - I think - and only found references to the garboard drain as being a good idea.  Would aoppreciate idea on the type, location, and installation.

      For type, West Marine has a 2 incher with a knob while perko has a considerably larger 3".

      Would prefer to keep the hole as small as possible which would favor the WM one. Can it be installed with the screw out knob on the inside?

      What plugs and how have you installed your garboard drains?

      Appreciate your suggestions.

      Thanks.

      Bruce

      SA34 MKI #168