45592RE: Macerator Pump Installation

  • wannix49
    Nov 24, 2013

      Jim

      I have a macerator pump and no y valves at all.  As long as there are no leaks the effluent follows the suck.  I also have pvc running out of the tank so that I don't have smelly stuff sitting in (eventually)  permeable hoses.  Seems to work well.  Did I say no leaks.   The shurflo I used comes with a paper gasket which failed and allowed air in and nothing would go out either discharge points.  The paper gasket is not needed (why do they do that).  I expect that a y valve would have allowed the pump out boat to pump the boat out.

      good luck

      ---In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, <jim@...> wrote:

      I've got Peggy's book on order, but I'd like the benefits of any thoughts and/or wisdom on the subject of macerator pumps and installation thereof.  I'm in the process of designing an upgrade from a pro-forma mostly legal system to one that is potentially useable.  The question at hand is how many Y-valves are actually required and where they should be located.  Obviously there is at least one down stream from the head directing, er, effluent to either the though-hull or the holding tank.  The two real questions are:
      1. Does there need to be a Y-valve (or even a simple one way valve) between the holding tank and the macerator pump so the deck pump-out will continue to work?  It seems to me that backflow through the macerator pump should be minimal, if any, so no valve should be necessary.
      2. Does there need to be a Y-valve in the through-hull discharge line to prevent backflow into the head when the macerator pump is running, or is the joker valve in the head sufficient to prevent this?

      A simple shutoff valve between the holding tank and macerator pump does seem like a prudent precaution to allow the pump to be removed if it failed or needed to be serviced.  A Y-valve seems overkill.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic