45588Re: [SabreSailboat] Garboard Drain

  • Charles Sidwa
    Nov 23, 2013
      We followed Dick's directions and still comment about how nice it is not to worry about coming back to a flooded boat. Our boat is stored a few miles south of Canada on Lake Ontario.

      Charlie

      Sent from my iPad

      On Nov 23, 2013, at 7:36 PM, "Richard Coerse" <rcoerse@...> wrote:

      Bruce,

      I installed one in my S34 MK I (hull #60) and it is documented here:  http://www.earlylight160.net76.net/InstallGarboardDrain.html

      A word of caution....Many of the units on the market have a bronze body, but the plug itself is brass.  I found a unit that is totally bronze manufactured by Buck Algonquin and stocked by Hamilton Marine.  It is a top quality unit.

      Hope this is helpful.

      Dick

      brucep2100@... wrote:

      I searched the archives - I think - and only found references to the garboard drain as being a good idea.  Would aoppreciate idea on the type, location, and installation.

      For type, West Marine has a 2 incher with a knob while perko has a considerably larger 3".

      Would prefer to keep the hole as small as possible which would favor the WM one. Can it be installed with the screw out knob on the inside?

      What plugs and how have you installed your garboard drains?

      Appreciate your suggestions.

      Thanks.

      Bruce

      SA34 MKI #168