45586Re: [SabreSailboat] Garboard Drain

  • Charles Sidwa
    Nov 23, 2013
      My drain is flush with the bottom of the keel sump and I swapped out the tabbed bolt for a bolt I could put an open ended wrench on. I used a small drill as a pilot hole, it took two tries(filled the first one with epoxy via a sirenge).  Charlie

      Sent from my iPad

      On Nov 23, 2013, at 9:51 PM, rayjanine@... wrote:

      Hi Richard:

      I looked at some drawings of my boat (Sabre 362) where the lead keel meets the fiberglass.  It looks from your sketch that if I was to install the garboard drain like your sketch, I would possibly be hitting the lead portion of the keel.  I know from the photos you showed it was just fiberglass.   How much is your drain above the bottom of the keel sump? Was the hole mounting plane parallel from the outside of the hull and the inside?  I ask this since I am thinking of installing a smaller plug (3/4") and using a flange on the outside of the hull very similar to the other thru hull flanges on our boats.  The part number I am thinking about is made by Grocco TD750.  The hole thru the hull is only 1" and the opening and closing of the drain is from the inside of the boat so that the threads and opening fitting are not in salt water to corrode.  This type of drain also has a nut to secure the thru hull like other thru hulls have.  Would this type of drain work on our boats?  I know that the lowest I would be able to get to the bottom of the sump may be 2 inches based on being able to turn the handle at the top of the TD750 but that is fine for winter layup.

      Regards,

      Ray

      ---In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, <rcoerse@...> wrote:

      Bruce,

      I installed one in my S34 MK I (hull #60) and it is documented here:  http://www.earlylight160.net76.net/InstallGarboardDrain.html

      A word of caution....Many of the units on the market have a bronze body, but the plug itself is brass.  I found a unit that is totally bronze manufactured by Buck Algonquin and stocked by Hamilton Marine.  It is a top quality unit.

      Hope this is helpful.

      Dick

      brucep2100@... wrote:

      I searched the archives - I think - and only found references to the garboard drain as being a good idea.  Would aoppreciate idea on the type, location, and installation.

      For type, West Marine has a 2 incher with a knob while perko has a considerably larger 3".

      Would prefer to keep the hole as small as possible which would favor the WM one. Can it be installed with the screw out knob on the inside?

      What plugs and how have you installed your garboard drains?

      Appreciate your suggestions.

      Thanks.

      Bruce

      SA34 MKI #168