44392Re: Leak in cabin headliner

  • Martin
    Aug 2, 2013
      The turning blocks on our 34II were screwed in. Since you have a leak there is probably rotted balsa core. I would carefully drill down without piercing the lower layer of glass, remove rotted balsa and fill with epoxy. That will stop the rot and give you a solid place for the screws.
      Cheers,
      Martin

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Richard Coerse <rcoerse@...> wrote:

      > I got the plugs at ACE hardware
      >
      > JOHN CALLIS wrote:
      > >

      > > The turning blocks on by S34 MKII were though bolted. I knew they
      > > were because my headliner had plugs in it to give access.
      > >
      > > If there are no plugs in the head liner below it then they are
      > > probably screwed in. If they are leaking don't let it go. There is
      > > balsa core there that will become compromised.
      > >
      > > If you have screws and want to go to through bolts that is an easy
      > > job, that I have done by sending a drill bit through to hole all the
      > > way down through the headliner. Then go in the boat with a 1 inch
      > > hole saw, which is the size of the almost 100 plugs in my headliner
      > > for genoa tracks and winches etc. Glen at Sabre can sell you the plugs.
      > >
      > > John
      > > S34 MKII
      > >

      > > On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 11:02 AM, JohnF wrote:
      > >

      > > Turning block on my mainsheet (a Sabre 34 MKII) was not through
      > > bolted, just screws.
      > >
      > > Sounds like butyl tape would be a quick & mess free bedding option
      > > for you.
      > >
      > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:Sabresailboat%40yahoogroups.com>, "THOMPSON, GREGORY"
      > > <gregory.thompson@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I have traced a leak to the deck-mounted turning blocks on our
      > > coach roof. Has anyone rebedded these and can you tell how they
      > > are attached? I am hesitant about the job creep that could be
      > > involved in removing a section of headliner, assuming they are
      > > through-bolted.
      > > > Greg T
      > > >
      > > > Sent from my iPhone
      > > >
      > > > On Aug 2, 2013, at 9:01 AM, "David Allin"
      > > <sv.solitaire1@<mailto:sv.solitaire1@>> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > If it is not too much trouble I would love to see a picture of
      > > your tensioner.... It is something that our
      > > > alternator could certainly use as we have had belt slippage in
      > > the past. Our engine is a Westerbeke 55 A
      > > > with a Balmar 100 amp alternator.
      > > > Thanks very much.
      > > > David.
      > > >
      > > > --