43841Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Ultimate Sole

  • Dan Trainor
    Jul 1, 2013
      Wow, great information Pete, thanks!

      On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Peter Tollini <sabre30@...> wrote:

      I've gotten to know  Daly's varnish guru in Seattle from refinishing my interior with SeaFin last year. I just asked him about the US dilemma.  He said, "That's easy - take any good polyurethane and add some boiled linseed oil to it. That will give you a softer finish. I'm sure that's how the Ultimate Sole folks did it. We've been doing that for years."
      He said 3-4 tablespoons per quart is a good place to start.  I'm going to start with a quart of poly and a scrap piece of plywood and try it plain, then after adding 2 tbsp, then more until it's right.
      So much for magic formulas.

      Pete

      On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Dave Lochner <davelochner@...> wrote:

      Before Ultimate Sole went out of business, I talked one of the owners. As he explained it, US was a polyurethane finish that was a bit softer and therefore "stickier" than modern formulations that are harder and more durable. You could probably overcoat the US with any decent quality polyurethane.

      Dave

      On Jul 1, 2013, at 9:49 AM, Dan Trainor wrote:

      What if I have to put another top coat refreasher on several years from now?  I would not have any Ulitimate Sole product left to use.  And anyway I don't know what the product is or what it is compatible with.  Maybe someone else knows.

      On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 1:14 PM, jack horner <captbluwater@...> wrote:

      I have used Ultimate Sole on my S 28 deck I just love the results , and  the stuff is bullet proof.. Yes use it as a top coat !
      To bad its not made any more..  Lee Nicholas