43836Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Engine dying/ fuel starvation

  • Godwin Jones
    Jul 1, 2013
      Check the ferrule nuts on the shutoff.  Many years ago I found a loose one after having shutdowns after going over a wake.  It will let air get in the line.

      I also had the screen problem in the pickup tube '86 Sabre 34.  You cam temporarily get relief by blowing back through the line from the rancor toward the tank.  That also may get you a few more hours if it is a blockage at the shutoff.  Good luck.

      Godwin
      Bojangles

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jul 1, 2013, at 11:24 AM, Allison Lehman <allisonleh@...> wrote:

      Thanks Charlie.  Calypso is a '97 so I am hopeful as that is a BIG job!  We have done the valve trick and it enabled us to limp into our anchorage.  It is really tough when you know you have a 60 nm trip home that will most likely require a lot of motoring and you know your system is being flakey.  Today we will look for a mobile fuel polisher.

      Allison

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jul 1, 2013, at 6:29 AM, Charles Sidwa <ChasSidwa@...> wrote:

      I recall Sabre got rid of the fuel pickup screen, but not sure what year, my 89 34 didn't have one. While out of your home harbor I would try turning the fuel shut of valve off and on a few times while running the engine and maybe dislodge a blockage.

      Charlie

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 1, 2013, at 1:54 AM, "Allison" <allisonleh@...> wrote:

      Ok so we have been safely anchored and enjoying the hot weather and swimming but it is time to get down to business and figure out what is going on the the engine/fuel starvation.
      Has anyone with a 362 looked at their their fuel intake? The captain says it is very difficult to take the cover off and he doesn't think there is an inspection port on it. His big question is does the 362 have a screen on the uptake? Unlike a typical filter clog, our problem is intermittent. With a filter clog, usually once the engine shuts down it won't restart. When I posted last we were giving it a second chance and we got several hrs almost completely trouble free. A couple times the RPMs began to drop and he we to neutral immediately to take the load off and then he would rev it. It would work so we limped into our anchorage.

      We are now formulating a plan. First off we are 60 miles from home:-( so we are missing a lot of tools. We are thinking of trying to get the fuel polished first off. The replacing both filters and the wait and see. The one nagging thing is this whole screen thingy. Jules, Ray do you guys know it the factory installed a screen on the uptake? Any other 362ers please feel free to share your experiences.

      Allison

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Allison" <allisonleh@...> wrote:

      > We are on our way to the Deltas for the 4th and after motoring for 6 hrs engine started dying. Fuel starvation. This after reading everyone posting about the fuel shut off valve and me reading abouut them thinking, well ours is just fine....NOT! Evidently after playing with the valve, all is well again, I hope!

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic