43830Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Engine dying/ fuel starvation

  • Allison Lehman
    Jul 1 8:19 AM
      Thanks Len,  I think we may be having the same issue as you.One of the things we tried was flipping the the shut of valve on and off a bunch to keep it running (due to your earlier posts, we were suspect of it ). Either way , no matter where the blockage is, this is only part of the equation.
       The implication is if there is a blockage, there is gunk in you system.  That is the reason for fuel polishing.  To remove the gunk.  Then we will look at the valve first.

      In the meantime, we are on the hook near some of our friends and having morning coffee.  Here is our view.
      image.jpeg
      Sent from my iPad

      On Jul 1, 2013, at 3:15 AM, walkabout193 <lbertaux@...> wrote:

      Alison
      While not a 362 owner I just solved the exact same symtoms you describe. It wasnt the filters, it wasn't the lift pump,it was blockage in the fuel line between the racor and the tank, at the shutoff valve. My fuel lines are a mix of hard and flexible line. Where they connect they should come apart easily, at the racor or the shut off. If you have an air pump and some ingenuity you can try blowing out the line from the racor to the tank. Im 100% certain thats the source of the problem. Hope this helps and good luck.

      Len Bertaux
      Walkabout S38 mkii
      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Allison" <allisonleh@...> wrote:

      > Ok so we have been safely anchored and enjoying the hot weather and swimming but it is time to get down to business and figure out what is going on the the engine/fuel starvation.
      > Has anyone with a 362 looked at their their fuel intake? The captain says it is very difficult to take the cover off and he doesn't think there is an inspection port on it. His big question is does the 362 have a screen on the uptake? Unlike a typical filter clog, our problem is intermittent. With a filter clog, usually once the engine shuts down it won't restart. When I posted last we were giving it a second chance and we got several hrs almost completely trouble free. A couple times the RPMs began to drop and he we to neutral immediately to take the load off and then he would rev it. It would work so we limped into our anchorage.
      >
      > We are now formulating a plan. First off we are 60 miles from home:-( so we are missing a lot of tools. We are thinking of trying to get the fuel polished first off. The replacing both filters and the wait and see. The one nagging thing is this whole screen thingy. Jules, Ray do you guys know it the factory installed a screen on the uptake? Any other 362ers please feel free to share your experiences.
      >
      > Allison
      >
      > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Allison" <allisonleh@> wrote:
      > >
      > > We are on our way to the Deltas for the 4th and after motoring for 6 hrs engine started dying. Fuel starvation. This after reading everyone posting about the fuel shut off valve and me reading abouut them thinking, well ours is just fine....NOT! Evidently after playing with the valve, all is well again, I hope!

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic