42841Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Leak from aft keel bolt

  • DAVID LOCHNER
    May 3, 2013

      How deep is the V? And how much keelboat do you have to work with?

      It might be possible to fill the void with enough thickened epoxy to provide a flat surface for the washer and nut. The bolt would have to be protected from the epoxy so that the keel could be dropped or the keel drawn up to the boat. You don't want the epoxy on the threads. Not exactly sure how you might protect the threads, but a waxed thin wall tube with an ID equal to the bolt size might work or wrapping the bolt in clear packing tape (epoxy won't stick to the tape) or perhaps a sleeve made out of plastic wrap.

      Thicken the epoxy with a high density filler, it needs to be a pretty stiff mixture, but soft enough to pour. Make successive pours of about a ¼" to avoid exotherm, pour wait a couple of hours, pour some more repeat as necessary. The bilge, of course, would have to be clean, paint free, and roughened up with 60 or 80 grit.

      Dave

      On May 3, 2013, at 12:36 PM, sabre3528 <sabre3528@...> wrote:

      Harry, just found your post (#38620). It looks like the thread is incomplete. How did you finally get it fixed?

      Thanks a million Dave. Without the heat gun I would still be chiseling away epoxy.

      The story is that a PO elected to stem the leak from on top of the bolt rather than re-bedding it. I chipped away at least 5/8" of epoxy plus a random layer of fiberglass that completely buried the aft bolt. I found that the vee of the bilge is so acute that it is impossible to get a nut and washer down far enough to seal. Also found a "custom" rectangular washer that was completely mangled from repeated re-tightening. It definitely requires some sort of a spacer. If that spacer was lost there is no doubt a leak would form. I had thoughts of making a cast of the area and getting a spacer milled to fit; it has to be the exact shape of the vee. No idea how to actually get this done short of a 3D printer.

      Tim (#38646 –from same thread), did your method fix your 28? What kind of epoxy did you use? I've never used it. Does it bond with the original fiberglass to form a watertight seal? I ask because when I pulled up the last layer of epoxy from the fiberglass I could see evidence of water between the layers.

      Has any other 28 owner run across this? Does anyone know how this came from the factory? Is it possible that they really used wood as spacer?

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "sailor11767" <sailor11767@...> wrote:

      > Glen assures me that Sabre never used butyl below the water line. Except I pulled out my engine thru-hull, and it sure looked like butyl. And my keel bolts had about 3 pounds of it. Never leaked in 30 years! But the party line is "we never used it below the water line." Both the thru hull and the keel bolts went back with LifeCaulk -- I hope it lasts as well as the "never was there" butyl did!
      >
      > Harry
      >
      > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Bob Jenning <b.jenning@> wrote:
      > >
      > > You can always press some butyl tape in there. My keel bolts were bedded with the stuff & I ended diging it out best I could to fill it with Lifecaulk. Not sure what the end result will be cause the boat is high & dry. It does hold water :)

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic