42811Re: Leak from aft keel bolt

  • sabre3528
    May 1, 2013
      Thanks guys. Dave, great tip on the heat gun. So the yard is too busy and my availability is such that I had to pull her. Once again, work gets in the way. I will follow the directions in the S30 manual (forget which thread). It seems like they left a step out between `4 - ┬ůmake sure keel bolt and the keel bolt hole are dry' and `5 - Retighten the keel bolt'. Doesn't sealant need to be applied? Which sealant is best for this application? While it is not on the exterior hull, it is technically below the water line and being the lowest point, will have water in it.

      If time permits, I will re-seal and fair the `Sabre smile'. If I understand the previous discussions, the bedding of the keel bolts is the real seal and the keelson/keel joint is just cosmetic.

      paul p

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, DAVID LOCHNER <davelochner@...> wrote:

      > What Charlie said. Removing the epoxy is easier if you heat to about 150 degrees. Get a heat gun, the kind that is used to remove paint. The heat will soften the epoxy, making it easier to remove.
      >
      > A polysulfide caulk (lifecaulk) will cure under water, in fact it cures faster with moisture.
      >
      > Dave
      >

      > On Apr 30, 2013, at 1:05 PM, Charles Sidwa <ChasSidwa@...> wrote:
      >
      > > You shouldn't mess with keel bolts while in the water. All torque values assume your boat is sitting with it's weight on the keel and not the keel suspended. You should be able to address this with a short haul. Have the yard haul you at the end of the day and lower the boat while in the slings onto wood blocking, climb on in and chip away the added epoxy and take the offending bolt off and put it back together with the appropriate caulk and re-torque. Back in the water in the morning. Charlie

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic