41969Re: [SabreSailboat] Anchor bridle ideas?

  • Carter Brey
    Mar 7, 2013

      I'm not sure if the original post was made with reference to a catamaran, but there *is* a situation in which a bridle does make sense for a monohull.

      If you are in a particularly rolly anchorage, let's say with the wind from the North, and a tidal current surge is hitting you from the West, you can reduce rolling by basically springing the rode. A length of dockline attached to the rode (rolling hitch, alpine butterfly loop, whatever) and brought aft to a starboard midship or transom cleat will point the bow more toward the waves.

      It can also work, with no adverse current, simply to reduce sailing around the anchor, like a riding sail.

      You can adjust the angle of incidence into the waves by taking in or paying out the bridle.

      CB

      On Mar 7, 2013 10:58 AM, "Jim Starkey" <jim@...> wrote:

      I don't think an anchor bridle is going to keep a boat from sailing at anchor.  A bridle is useful to reduce the swing room and maybe as insurance in case one drags, but unless the wind is perfectly aligned so the load is shared, the boat is actually swinging on one or the other.  And even when perfectly aligned, some of the anchors' resistance is wasted on the part of the load vector pulling the anchors together.

      Anchoring is very personal.  I doubt that two people on the list have exactly the same opinions.  But it's also the subject on which more non-sense as been written than any other boating topic.

      Those of us in New England are in the eye of (yet another) howling nor'easter.  So, to warm the blood if not the spirit, why do you want to set anchors in a bridle?

      On 3/7/13 9:31 AM, JOHN CALLIS wrote:

      Are you saying that an anchor bridle has the ability to stop a boat from sailing at anchor.  I was going to get a riding sail for this summer to prevent sailing at anchor, but if this works I will give it a try.

      Please explain.

      John

      On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Ken Jenkins wrote:

      Well you are already one up on me. When we had a catamaran, I used to create a bridle using what the Boy Scouts referred to as a taut line hitch. Never had a problem with it slipping on 3 strand nylon. A kleimheist hitch ought to be much better. Actually, even if it slips, it is not catastrophic as you have one line directly from the anchor to the bow. The only problem is the boat then starts sailing at anchor.
      Ken Jenkins

      Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 1:26 PM
      Subject: [SabreSailboat] Anchor bridle ideas?

      Any fresh ideas for making an anchor bridle?

      Typically we take a spare line and attach it to the nylon anchor rode with a kleimheist hitch or some fancy knot. I'd feel more comfortable with some kind of mechanical connection (gadget, caribiner, etc.) but these things only seem to be available for attachment to chain rodes. Has anyone come up with unique solutions or products I have overlooked?

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic