41929Re: S32 ice box insulation

    Mar 6, 2013
      A couple of responses to your future projects listed in this email.

      * Battery charger. You have a smaller boat, and may well have a smaller battery. Don't fall for "bigger is better" because sometimes it doesn't matter. I have a pair of 225Ah golf cart batteries -- probably as large or larger than your battery. I have a 40A TrueCharge, and I don't think I've ever seen it put out more than 30A, and even that only lasts for a few minutes before it starts to taper off. And even a 10A charger will charge your batteries overnight -- a bigger one just charges it faster. I suspect you would be very well served by a 20A charger, saving considerable money. NOTE: Size is not important, but "Brains" ARE. Make sure you get a decent multi-stage charger.

      * Monitor. This is really critical, and tells far more than a volt meter or ammeter can. The only thing better is perhaps a hygrometer, which is a real hassle. The Victron unit is very nice (see MainSail's install writeup). I went with a real "dark horse," a unit made by Bogart Engineering for off-grid and RV use. I like the feature set, especially the ability to monitor volts on two different batteries. It is not "rated" for marine use, but it is in a very nice plastic box with minimal penetrations, and I don't expect a lot of salt spray at its location below decks. It has been aboard two years with no problems yet. The one challenge to consider (for any brand) is cost-benefit. If you do a couple overnights a year, you probably don't get good ROI on the install, as battery monitors are pricey.

      Good luck,

      Harry
      Analysis
      Mill Creek, Annapolis

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "tpm1950" <tpm1950@...> wrote:

      > When I said I'd run unit mainly off shore power, I meant that I'd get a DC refrigeration unit and run in mainly when docked, with shore power charging the batteries. I'm meeting with yard next week to add a battery charger. Also want to hear what they say about a battery monitor. So this year I learn how long I can keep refrigerator on while sailing.
      > Tim
      >
      > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, jack horner <captbluwater@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I  run my 12 volt  frig unit all the time from the dock .  When i cruise my holding plate  gets 8 hours on in the day and off at nite  florida..  I have a 90 watt solar panel that keeps it charged during the day.  I have ice in a vertical ice cube tray
      > >  2 house 31 AGM"S and a AGM start..85 watt alt and smart charger
      > >  Lee S 28   Sandpiper/ Fla

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic