40776Re: barrier coat

    Dec 5, 2012
      Interesting "value" question. Many folks the world over have spent fortunes repairing blisters (or just plain scrapped bad cases). I'm sure every one of them wishes someone earlier in line had barrier coated their boat.

      But here's the question. Many of our boats are 20-30 years old. While we may have caked on bottom paint that warrants a blasting job, one has to wonder if there is any value to the barrier coat. Will a boat decide after 20 years to start blistering? Or have the boats that haven't blistered yet been tested by time and are immune?

      If I had a freshly blasted hull, I sure would be tempted to do it though!

      Harry

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:

      > If you have the boat soda blasted and you refair (or have refaired) the
      > strut and through hulls, a DIY barrier coat is literally just mixing &
      > rolling on 6 coats, assuming your yard allows it. Even though your 36
      > probably has a vinylester layer (86 & later), an epoxy barrier coat is a
      > really good idea if you've gone to the time and expense of soda blasting.
      > Pete
      >

      > On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 2:38 PM, mc1001@... <mc1001@...
      > > wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > A quick question about barrier coats: I am probably going to have my Sabre
      > > 36 soda blasted. Is it a missed opportunity not (because of expense) to get
      > > a barrier coat done too?
      > > Any thoughts?
      > >
      > > Thanks, JM

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic