      From: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of mc1001@...
      Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:49 AM
      To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SabreSailboat] Re: Sandy's Devastation in Raritan Bay, NJ

      I heard a little about RYC. (I am in New Brunswick, NJ without power.) I am really sorry to hear this. Serenity Now, my Sabre 36, is on the hard at Atlantic Highlands Marina. I have no idea what condition the boat is in. I have heard that the marina is in terrible shape and
      some boats are seriously damaged, but no one is allowed in. (In fact a phone message
      from the marina said that boat owners would be arrested if they came in to check
      on they before the marina is officially reopened!) No one could imagine that the
      surge would reach up to the yard -- I think we are talking at least 20 ft not 10! It
      might have been better to stay on the mooring. (A friend did, and came through
      fine.) In any case, if anyone on this list has any info about Atlantic Highlands, please send me a note: mcglewj@.... Thanks, Jim

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Evans <dave@...> wrote:

      > Adam,
      > Sorry to see this. We bought a boat from a member of the RYC last
      > century and I thought of the club and all the boats in the yard during
      > the storm. Cadence did quite well!
      > dge
      >
      > On 10/31/2012 10:11 AM, adamturinas wrote:
      > >
      > > We had it especially bad on Monday. Storm was at its highest at high
      > > lunar tide, blowing right down Raritan Bay.
      > >
      > > My club, Raritan Yacht Club was devastated. 30+ boats in the yard,
      > > smashed to pieces including Sinn Fein, multiple times winner of
      > > Newport-Bermuda. Buildings and stairs in the yard wiped out. But most
      > > importantly nobody hurt.
      > >
      > > My Sabre 38 MkII Cadence was on the hard in marina, up a creek, half a
      > > mile up from the Bay. The docks were were destroyed, dozens of yachts
      > > on the hard washed off their stands. Boats from neighbouring yards
      > > washed into ours.
      > >
      > > I was extremely lucky. Cadence was pinned in place by two other boats.
      > > A motor boat had washed up out of the creek held her starboard. To
      > > port, the next boat toppled over and pinned her from the other side.
      > > Cadence had two stands left by the morning but stayed in place. Some
      > > cosmetic damage and bashed up stanchions but I believe otherwsie intact.
      > >
      > > You can see phtos of my yacht, the yard and RYC on my blog:
      > >
      > > http://messingaboutinboats.typepad.com/sailing/
      > >
      > > I hope others escaped both personal and boat harm
      > >
      > > Adam
      > > Cadence, S38 MkII 109

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic