3728Re: Buying S-28... Questions - cabin top

  • gmuller22
    Jun 1, 2006
      Sid, we sailed a 28 for 15 years and never had a slipping issue with
      the cabin top. Actually, under heel, the weather side of the cabin
      top provides a flatter surface to work from than if it had been made
      flatter. There's also another aspect to that curved top, the optimum
      heel can be gauged by comparing the surface of the cabin top where
      it meets the vertical section with the horizon. If that small
      portion of the cabin top, which is fairly straight, is parallel with
      the horizon you're pretty much at the optimum heel. Is that neat or
      what?

      Gerard

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "sid wax" <sid_w@...> wrote:

      > Hi folks. New member here, in Newport, RI/ Looks like a great
      site.

      > Anyway, I am in the process of buying an S-28 II (1977). It is
      pretty
      > much basic, except for a Harken traveler, wheel, knot and depth.
      > expect I will adding various mods over the next few years. I will
      be
      > doing mostly daysailing, and going around the buoys on Wednesday
      > afternoons.
      >
      > I will have questions, especially, I am sure, about making it go
      fast,
      > but my current greates concern is the high curve of the cabintop.
      > Looks pretty easy to slide off. Does anyone else share this
      concern,
      > or am I worrying over nothing? I have been thinking of adding
      some
      > kind og slats on the cabin top to improve traction, but am
      concerned
      > about making holes in the top, especially since the slats will
      tend to
      > dam up water. Has anyone ever tackled this issue?
      >
      > Sid

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic