35719Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Cowl Vents - 4" with a little extra work?

    Jan 3, 2012
      On 1/3/2012 10:39 AM, vanbeckump wrote:

      I am thinking that the restrictions of the dorade and particularly the tiny vent into the boat's interior may limit the air flow to the point that the larger cowl may not be worth it. One also has to worry about the exterior size of the cowl. You don't want to fall against it and pry it loose or bend it. Big cowls usually have a stainless tubing cage around them for protection.

      No, the cage is to keep lines from snagging the cowls leading to strong language and/or expensive splashes if not properly screwed in.  The round style cowls, at least, are near infinitely strong.  Bend them, not a chance.

      Just sayin'

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "JohnF" <jl_folk@...> wrote:
      > The old original Martec cowl vents were removed yesterday on our 1987 34 MkII (thank you 55 degree Maryland weather!). In reviewing the archives, it looks like most people have replaced with 3" cowl vents, often requiring a teak or starboard 'pad' to accommodate a smaller deck ring.
      > Has anyone gone to the effort to slightly modify the dorade box to install 4" vents? The holes in my deck are 3 11/16 inches, somewhat bigger than is needed for a 3" vent, and slightly smaller than is needed for a 4" vent.
      > It's tempting -- the 4" vents are only an inch taller (so I don't think they would look out of scale), but have 40% more air flow capacity (based on Vetus catalog).
      > I don't see any references to this approach, so am suspecting that there is a hidden 'gotcha !!!'.
      > Thanks -

      Jim Starkey
      Founder and CTO
      NuoDB, Inc.