35716Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Cowl Vents - 4" with a little extra work?

    Jan 2, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 1.3 MB
    I just went with Manship stainless 3" low profile.  If I recall, the 4" mounting rings may not fit on the molded Dorade boxes. See attached picture.
    Pete

    On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 11:03 AM, JohnF <jl_folk@...> wrote:

    Peter and John - Did you go with a 3" or 4" vent as your replacement? If you went with 3", did you consider trying a 4" ? Just trying to understand others' thought process on this one...

    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "JohnF" <jl_folk@...> wrote:

    > The old original Martec cowl vents were removed yesterday on our 1987 34 MkII (thank you 55 degree Maryland weather!). In reviewing the archives, it looks like most people have replaced with 3" cowl vents, often requiring a teak or starboard 'pad' to accommodate a smaller deck ring.
    >
    > Has anyone gone to the effort to slightly modify the dorade box to install 4" vents? The holes in my deck are 3 11/16 inches, somewhat bigger than is needed for a 3" vent, and slightly smaller than is needed for a 4" vent.
    >
    > It's tempting -- the 4" vents are only an inch taller (so I don't think they would look out of scale), but have 40% more air flow capacity (based on Vetus catalog).
    >
    > I don't see any references to this approach, so am suspecting that there is a hidden 'gotcha !!!'.
    >
    > Thanks -

  • Show all 27 messages in this topic