35713Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Cowl Vents - 4" with a little extra work?

    Jan 2, 2012
      Mine ('88) came off easily with a thin putty knife.  Since then I've foun that an incredible tool for removing caulk, etc, and freeing bedded flanges is a reciprocating tool (Fein, Dremel, Rockwell) with a thin, flexible scraper blade.  I removed a through hull bedded with 5200 in a matter of minutes with no damage.  I think the high frequency vibration softens the material and allows easy removal.
      Pete

      On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 6:21 PM, JohnF <jl_folk@...> wrote:

      Ken,

      The old deck plates were bedded, they didn't budge by just yanking on them. I drove a sharp putty knife under the flange all the way around. I used a short pry bar to reach down inside the box in order to get some leverage from underneath the throat of the vent. That seemed to help break the grip of the adhesive. Only one of the deck plates came out whole. The old plastic was very brittle and easily split up with the putty knife and some gentle tapping. It was easier to get out once broken up into pieces.

      Once the deck plate was out, it was easy to scrape off the old adhesive and clean it up with some acetone.

      The first one took about 20 minutes, then the other three took about 20 minutes total once I figured out how to do it!

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Jenkins" <kjenk3@...> wrote:

      > John,
      >
      > As a side question, did you have much trouble getting the mounting plate for
      > the Martec vent off? I also have a 34 MkII andI had unscrewed one earlier
      > this Fall to check hole size, but could not seem to pull out the mounting
      > plate. I thought maybe it had been bedded with an adhesive. Having limited
      > time, I decided to put off really working on the problem.
      >
      > Thanks for any insight, Ken
      >

      > _____

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic