35712RE: [SabreSailboat] Re: Cowl Vents - 4" with a little extra work?

  • JOHN CALLIS
    Jan 2, 2012
      I removed all 4 of my dorade deck plates without damaging them.  They were bedded in butyl tape on my 88 S34, and I used a putty knife and pulled up with my hand from the inside.  Maybe John's were installed with a stronger adhesive, but mine pulled out very easily.  I think this is another argument for using butyl tape as a sealant when things may need to be uninstalled in the future.

      John
      S34 MKII

      On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 6:21 PM, JohnF wrote:

         Ken,

      The old deck plates were bedded, they didn't budge by just yanking on them.  I drove a sharp putty knife under the flange all the way around.  I used a short pry bar to reach down inside the box in order to get some leverage from underneath the throat of the vent.  That seemed to help break the grip of the adhesive.   Only one of the deck plates came out whole.  The old plastic was very brittle and easily split up with the putty knife and some gentle tapping.  It was easier to get out once broken up into pieces.

      Once the deck plate was out, it was easy to scrape off the old adhesive and clean it up with some acetone.

      The first one took about 20 minutes,  then the other three took about 20 minutes total once I figured out how to do it!

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Jenkins" <kjenk3@...> wrote:

      > John,
      >
      > As a side question, did you have much trouble getting the mounting plate for
      > the Martec vent off? I also have a 34 MkII andI had unscrewed one earlier
      > this Fall to check hole size, but could not seem to pull out the mounting
      > plate. I thought maybe it had been bedded with an adhesive. Having limited
      > time, I decided to put off really working on the problem.
      >
      > Thanks for any insight, Ken
      >

      >   _____
      >
      > On Behalf Of JohnF
      > Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2012 6:13 AM
      > Subject: [SabreSailboat] Cowl Vents - 4" with a little extra work?
      >

      > The old original Martec cowl vents were removed yesterday on our 1987 34
      > MkII (thank you 55 degree Maryland weather!). In reviewing the archives, it
      > looks like most people have replaced with 3" cowl vents, often requiring a
      > teak or starboard 'pad' to accommodate a smaller deck ring.
      >
      > Has anyone gone to the effort to slightly modify the dorade box to install
      > 4" vents? The holes in my deck are 3 11/16 inches, somewhat bigger than is
      > needed for a 3" vent, and slightly smaller than is needed for a 4" vent.
      >
      > It's tempting -- the 4" vents are only an inch taller (so I don't think they
      > would look out of scale), but have 40% more air flow capacity (based on
      > Vetus catalog).
      >
      > I don't see any references to this approach, so am suspecting that there is
      > a hidden 'gotcha !!!'.
      >
      > Thanks -

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic