      From: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of JohnF
      Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2012 3:22 PM
      To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SabreSailboat] Re: Cowl Vents - 4" with a little extra work?

      Ken,

      The old deck plates were bedded, they didn't budge by just yanking on them. I drove a sharp putty knife under the flange all the way around. I used a short pry bar to reach down inside the box in order to get some leverage from underneath the throat of the vent. That seemed to help break the grip of the adhesive. Only one of the deck plates came out whole. The old plastic was very brittle and easily split up with the putty knife and some gentle tapping. It was easier to get out once broken up into pieces.

      Once the deck plate was out, it was easy to scrape off the old adhesive and clean it up with some acetone.

      The first one took about 20 minutes, then the other three took about 20 minutes total once I figured out how to do it!