Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

34989Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: 1975 Sabre 28 Traveler

Expand Messages
  • Bob Jenning
    Nov 16, 2011
      That's how I started Barry, at the end. Cachink went the glass on that first bolt....   

      From: Barry Wilson <bwilson506@...>
      To: "Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com" <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:34 PM
      Subject: Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: 1975 Sabre 28 Traveler

       
      I think the trick is to start at one end and remove one bolt at a time.  This will allow the track to straighten out gradually.  For the last couple bolts you may have to pull on the track to keep it aligned for bolt removal.
      Barry

      From: Bob Jenning <b.jenning@...>
      To: "Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com" <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:25 PM
      Subject: Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: 1975 Sabre 28 Traveler

       
       
      Thanks Sherie!
       
      Barry's right on about taking measurements prior to removing the track. This was something I didn't do, the track will begin to spring back wanting to become staight again.  Be careful when taking it off the transom, there's alot of stress & the bolts will be bent because of the camber on the transom. I unscrewed them enough to cut the heads off & used a punch to drive them down into the bilge. It would be best to have a helper keep the stress off the track as you punch the bolts thru so you don't take a big ass chip out of the fiberglass:)
       
      Bob

      From: Sherie Case <sacnrw@...>
      To: "Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com" <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 4:12 PM
      Subject: Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: 1975 Sabre 28 Traveler

       
      Bob,
       
      After talking to Guido at Garhauer I am going with a heavy duty version of the MT-3. My current system has a 3:1 purchase and I have to decide if I will keep that or go to a 4:1. Any one with thoughts on that? I am also pulling off the existing track and sending to them so the new one can be bent to the same specs.
       
      Sherie
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       

      From: Bob Jenning <b.jenning@...>
      To: "Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com" <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, November 11, 2011 7:43 AM
      Subject: Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: 1975 Sabre 28 Traveler

       
      Sherie,
       
      Let us know what Garhauer system you're going with. I've got to replace the whole traveler system on my 28.
       
      Thanks,
      Bob

      From: Sherie Case <sacnrw@...>
      To: "Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com" <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:16 PM
      Subject: Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: 1975 Sabre 28 Traveler

       
      Well, I think I am going to bite the bullet and replace the whole system with Garhauer. It will run about $450...ouch... but that's LESS than half of what Harken is asking!
      Guido at Garhauer has been pretty good to deal with and I have a boom vang from them too that I am happy with so I think it's a go. I'll let you guys know how it goes as this progresses.
       
      Thanks for the help
       
      Sherie

      From: dleedvm <leex3103@...>
      To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, November 7, 2011 7:25 AM
      Subject: [SabreSailboat] Re: 1975 Sabre 28 Traveler

       


      Sherrie,
      One problem with Rigrite is what they say they sell and what they actually have are two very different things in my experience. I have been waiting six months for control ends for my traveler. They've been backordered over and over. The Kenyan cars aren't available but they recommend the Amiot cars, which are supposed to be compatible. I found that car was too long to get on the track because the vents got in the way. I suppose I could have temporarily removed the vent from down below but I thought the Amiot car was very poor quality for the price and returned it (they were good about that). If your Kenyan system is like mine, the mainsheet blocks are permanentaly attached to it so replacing the car also means a whole new control system. I eventually just replaced the bearings, which was easy with some tape to hold them in during installation and it works fine.
      David













    • Show all 31 messages in this topic